4 to 5 speed switch - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4 to 5 speed switch
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:57 PM
looking to upgrade my 4 speed.trans to a 5 speed trans... 1982 turbo Sunbird- 1.8.... any ideas what will bolt up?

Re: 4 to 5 speed switch
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:32 AM
Welcome Aboard Elwood!!

You have to use a transaxle out of a 1st or 2nd Gen with the 1.8/2.0 OHC Engines, as the OHV jobs have the Starter on the opposite side.

1982 with the Turbo? Sounds like a Cute little Sleeper you have there!! Maybe you can post some Photos of your Granny SunBird!! Love to see it!!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:40 AM
IMHO - Bolt up and hold together are two separate things

When the 4 speed was put on the 84 1.8 Turbo, it was the only FWD trans available (at he time) that could handle the 150 ft/lb of torque. You could look for a 5 speed from behind a 2.0 turbo that would hold together but they are few and far between. I would be wary of trying to do it any other way though.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:13 AM
If you have the 4 speed just get any 5speed and swap the bell housing. I believe you can even use a f23 from a 3rd gen too. I would just get any 1-2nd gen 5speed and just swap the bell housing.if you look on v6z24.com some jbodies came with a 5 speed overdrive if you want a lower 5th. That's what I put in my ph1. I believe it was in 91 or 92.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:14 AM
Also make sure the bell housings are interchangeable. I belive they should be but innot sure about when they switch manufacturers.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:57 PM
Thanks For The Input- Pics after I pull it out of the pole barn. In storage since 92, Only 200 Miles on a new turbo- 105,000 On Car
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search