Finally Got up to Check Out my New Parts Car - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Finally Got up to Check Out my New Parts Car
Friday, June 21, 2013 8:55 PM
Had a day off this week and was able to get to NH and check out my new parts car. It's a 1985 stripped down bare bones Type 10. No rear sway bar, steel wheels, AM radio, vinyl seats, no A/C, manual windows. Car has 50k and had one female owner. I bought it from her mechanic with no title and I have about $300 into it with gas and tolls to get it (200 mile round trip) and tow dolly rental. Super clean interior with only one rip on drivers seat, but the rest looks new. Dropping headliner, never smoked in, like new steering wheel. The trunk mat is like new but the bottom foam is peeling. The spare looks like it has never been out and the jack looks like new. Floors look good but the doors are shot as are the front fenders. Nose header/bumper and rear bumper are good with the red line to match my verts. Motor is peppy and seems to run real good and the auto tranny seems to check out ok as well. At this time no parts that will make it not weather tight or un-drivable are for sale as I need to move it around the place where I keep it. And of course the mice have taken up residence while it was parked for two years at the mechanics lot!

Here are some pics.

Re: Finally Got up to Check Out my New Parts Car
Friday, June 21, 2013 9:30 PM
Great score!
Whats the plan, cut her up and part her out? I think you got your monies worth in just the drive train alone. The rest is icing on the cake.
Do you have a dry storage building big enough to keep all those parts in? Actually I was surprised at how small of an area I needed to store the parts from GT Sunbird.
How are the door bottoms? All the ones I have seen in central Pa are rotted up. The nice door I found in a yard was a $100+. Much too rich for my project, but a fair price if I was hard up to fix an accident and it was being bought with insurance money.
How are the quarter panels and wheel lips? Both of mine were not worth keeping and I think I am going to junk my drivers door since it has holes drilled into it and putty'ed over. I will however keep the power window motor and power door lock. I don't think the coupe and convertible door glass are the same are they? But the guy I put a floor in his black 2nd gen Z in, told me he cut up a coupe door and made it into a convertible door in case you were not aware of that.
Did you get the keys? I saw you junked the door locks on your blue 4dr. I lucked out and needed a matching set of door and trunk locks which I happened to get with my GT. I even found a spare door key in a magnetic key box that fell from the rear bumper when I was banging around on the car. It only had a door key in it though. I thought, what faulty logic. Sure you can open up the car with the spare door key if you are locked out, but what if you lose your keys, then your screwed and can only open up the car and wait for the tow truck inside and feel like a loser for only hiding half the key set.

I like the finned valve cover. Looks hot rod to me

Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:46 AM
Wow that interior is mint for it's age

Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:52 AM
Oh, so that is how the cheap Vinyl Seats were suppose to look back in their day....LoL

Lord have mercy if I had a dime for all the busted ones I've sat in during my years in all kinds of cars and trucks. That interior looks like something in a show car!! This sure is a great candidate for a donor - many many excellent parts on here!!

Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:14 PM
That coupe is very restorable. Hate to see it be torn apart
Saturday, June 22, 2013 4:38 PM
I hate to do it too. But it really is not worth all that much in dollars. Some kid would just buy it and beat the snot out of it and it would end up in a scrap yard next year. I would sell it to someone on this site if they want to come to Nashua NH to get it. I got it in CT. with no title and NH is a no title state on cars over 15 years so the title may be a little cloudy unless it was registered in NH first. I have also promised the red bumpers and trim and the I/C to someone so those would not be included. I do have some good white line bumpers that would make it complete though that I would throw in. But in my opinion the doors and front fenders are really rough and it probably would be cheaper to just find a car already done. If I part it and save the good parts at least those parts will be available to someone some day. If it goes to the scrapper they will be lost forever. A good example of how hard it can be to sell a 1st gen is the 86 Cimarron that I had least year. I ended up selling it to a guy for $600 and it was a really nice car. He said he was going to take it to car shows. He registered it and drove it until November then it was parked in his backyard (he lives on the way to my father in-laws house). He had the cover on it that I gave him, but the cover fell off in December and it is still next to the car on the ground to this day. I might just stop by and ask about the car this summer.

The Cimarron

Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:28 AM
Wouldn't hurt to check on the Caddy, John! Something might have happen to the owner. Wouldn't mind having a Cimarron myself. I know where a Gun Metal color (Grey/Silver is just one of my least exciting colors) one is sitting around here, but honestly I am so busy with what I currently have I don't have a clue how'd I manage another right now. I ought to grab the camera and snap a photo or 2. I usually run about on Sunday evenings and see if I can find any old Bicycles for the Grandson that the locals toss in the trash. Little fellow has 6 of them and I keep these for parts /spares but I usually find myself taking all kinds of bits and fixing him one together just for the fun of it... Anyways I'll be in the neighborhood.

You'll have to win that lottery up your way , and pick up some property - maybe an old hunting camp , and turn it into a safe home for all the lost forgotten J's in your neck of the woods....

The Tan Coupe is going to be a tough choice for you, John. The Caddy had the 2.8 and wasn't too tempting. This one got that low mileage drivetrain just perfect for your 'Verts. It'll drop right in the Brown one. You know too that a low mileage Engine is gonna be hard to come across again( hint).

But I gots a itchy feeling what you really want is a 2.2/5 speed !!

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:29 PM
Did the Cimmeron have a power antenna in the front fender? I didn't think there was enough space to put a GM power antenna in the front fender from the mid 80's. I have several I collected because my 87 Trans Am had one and they would stop working, so I got extra's when I could for cheap. I love to put a power antenna on the Blue Bird drop top project.

Were all Cimmerons 4drs? My dad just showed me a sweet looking maroon one that showed up in town recently. We thought a Sunbird convertible with a Cimmeron conversion would be a neat phantom car GM never built.

Friday, June 28, 2013 6:18 AM
Bill--

that is a power antenna on the Cimmeron. You can tell because of the outlet for the antenna is on the side, a non-power antenna fender has the hole on the top.

I have in my possession a power antenna fender from a SkyHawk, if you have a good fender with the hole on top for a non-power antenna, since you're only 130 miles away, we could meet at the Troeg's Brewery and trade.

I found with those 80s power antennas, the best way to keep them working was to use silicone spray about once a month on them. They would clog with dirt and overwork the motors to the point where they would fail all the time.
Monday, July 01, 2013 7:29 PM
Bill, That Cimmeron did have the power antenna. And that is what I bought that Cimarron for.. I was going to cut it up and and make Cimarron Convertible. But the car was really in such good shape it would have been sad to do it. Plus the money that I would have put into it probably would have more than I thought. And my next toy car will be a complete/done t-top 80's 442 -- Hurst Olds. But that's after I complete the brown Cav vert.

Here is a picture of the Cimarron as it sits today in the guy's yard that I sold it to.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:35 AM
Wow! I'm drooling looking at that Caddy just sitting there doin' nothing. It's aching to be driven!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search