1986 cavalier z24 parts for 84 cavalier convertible - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1986 cavalier z24 parts for 84 cavalier convertible
Friday, June 28, 2013 6:19 PM
I have a 1984 cavalier convertible I am currently restoring and I have been looking for a 86 -87 z24 body kit to put on it, I have had no luck in finding one. Somebody please help out.

Re: 1986 cavalier z24 parts for 84 cavalier convertible
Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:06 PM
I might suggest leaving your car original seriously.I know you may want to customize it and add some features but,just with the age of the car finding parts for convertibles is super tough.You would be better off doing a stock restoration to maintain a reasonable value being it can hurt the value and or someone who might buy it may offer way less because of the changes so drastic.I am not critizing your idea just making the point before you change a true stock car which is almost 30years old with items that were not offered for it in that year model.I do the stock theme just for the reasons above and to show how cool a car can be as it was from day 1.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:54 PM
Yeah to get to thinking about it you are right. Keeping the car stock would be a much better thing. Anyways one more thing. The black tread that runs down the side of the car. Where on earth can I get new ones made for my car? The old ones have either rotted off or ruined.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:34 PM
Keep the stock parts in the garage and start modifying it. You can always go back.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, July 01, 2013 4:06 AM
There is a black '86 z24 4 speed car in the bone yard close to my house. It has everything minus the front grille and head light trim, which I grabbed as a spare.

Monday, July 01, 2013 9:46 PM
The black rubber trim is no longer made to my knowledge.However I might surf a place or two to see if it is still available being I never honestly looked for some new.Some junkyards have ride with it still in place and in ok shape.I maybe making a trip maybe in a week or two poking around two yards I frequent.Does your trim have a redline or chrome in it.Super tired so keeping it short tonight.

Monday, July 01, 2013 10:04 PM
My trim has the redline.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:22 AM
Matthew,

I had the same issue with the side trim on my 84 Cavalier Convertible. I did this to improve it. I got some good paint for plastic, I carefully masked off the parts on the car and then resprayed it. You can get 1/4 inch pin-striping at O'Reilly's and with a good Exacto knife replace the red stripe. Another option is this: My friend Tom Stroup (who also is a member of this forum) and I have been acquiring as many junk J body cars as we can (so far we've bought either 4 or 5) and we pick the parts we want and then scrap what is no longer useful.We're not rich, we will walk away from one if the owner wants too much. The most we've paid is about $250 for a car. We've been able to get a hood for Tom's Sunbird, and a lot of interior parts for mine, including seats, rims, engines (we've got a 3.1 to use at some point) I've got a set of the side trim, but I plan on replacing the side trim on my Cavalier, so sorry it's not available. At the same time I replace the side trim, I'm gonna replace the front and rear bumper covers, so mine should look very good when I'm finished.

I was at a car show and saw an 84 that a gentleman had added the Z24 ground effects to it. I didn't care very much for what he did, but everyone has their own idea on how to customize their ride, so I wish you good luck in getting what you need.

Contact me privately if you've got a specific need for a part, and I'll check with Tom to see what we've got in our "inventory" as he's got the parts at his garage...

Above all, good luck with your Cavalier,

Walt
Monday, July 08, 2013 9:33 AM
Okay z24 package is out for me. On one side of my car the trim is gone.. Very soon I am going to be repainting the car. I am in need of trim, Chevrolet/Cavalier, 2.0 Fuel Injected emblems. Anyone has some laying around? And here is what I need on the inside. I have blue interior. Dash (A/C Model), back seat and rear lights covers. I have checked out junk yards in a 35 miles radius and no luck.

Monday, July 08, 2013 12:14 PM
my suggestion is do whatever the hell you want. A cavalier no matter how restored or pristine original is going to bring any amount of money worth bragging about. So if your in it to have a good value to sell,..may i suggest not going with a cavalier.
so if you want to do something different go for it or if you want a nice restored or stock looking original car because thats what u want. go for it. But dont do anythig for any type of value later down the road
Monday, July 08, 2013 9:00 PM
As for the emblems I would def check ebay.Type in your model and year and the word emblems.You may have to look thru the worthless stuff but,I have seen full sets on there brand new (nos) people have held onto.I may be going junkyarding later this week and they do have a 86 cav not sure what model etc it just list the year make,model online for this yard.Btw do you need the molding for the front fender,then door then rear quarter or just one piece.I know there black with the redline so just give me some specifics on which and left or right side.As for the previous comment it is not the point of restoring to later gain value or make more money,just to maintain the value!And next if we here on the 1st gen board are here for a reason and that is because WE like our cars and want them to last and share information to help each other out.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:34 PM
Agree with Ron,
Look on ebay for parts. I got a spare set of emblems for my blue vert a few years ago anticipating another repaint someday. Plus if it ever gets hit I have parts to get it back up and running quickly. I am constantly looking for spare parts on ebay and cheap parts cars on CL.
I never really thought that my Cavalier would be worth any real money in my lifetime, but my wife and I like the car and just want to keep it the way it is. We can drive it anywhere and really don't have to worry too much about it, unlike a $25,000 69 Camero that you can only drive to car shows (not that I wouldn't mind having one). One more thing, the Cav won't break the bank on gas!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search