Will I Need an Alignment? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Will I Need an Alignment?
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:27 AM
My project is coming along fast, not much more to do before the painting begins!

Currently am replacing the struts. I've heard in the past that after doing struts, an alignment is necessary, but because of the way our Js are set up, I'm thinking it won't be needed.

The only part I'm disconnecting is the tie rod. I am also disconnecting the two strut to knuckle bolts.

I'm thinking my alignment won't be affected by this, am I correct?

Re: Will I Need an Alignment?
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:44 AM
The way I do it, anytime anything is touched on front end get a alignment done, Guaranteed to not have problems.
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:17 PM
The 2 bolts that attach the strut to the spindle has cams on the heads to adjust caster/camber. Once these are removed You will need an alignment to restore these settings. The tie rods will affect toe in/out only.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:15 PM
I always do an alignment after any front end work. You can probably get it close, but it's not worth wearing out your tires.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:35 PM
If you still have the original splined bolts in the spindle it won't have cam style bolts. If those struts are original as well the holes won't be slotted. New struts come with slotted holes for camber adjustments. Those bolts can be difficult to remove if they are rusty. The best method I found is to heat the spindle with a torch and drive them out with a punch. When I did mine last year I replaced 2 of my strut bolts with 2 from a newer impala so I had more adjustment. Don't forget to coat them in antisieze when you're ready to install them.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:01 PM
Never but antiseaze on suspension parts that are not suppose to move. They could come loose. Easies way to remove the bolts is a punch and mini sledge hammer. Only the splined bolt should be hard to get out. Back the nut out till its flush with the end of the bolt and hit it with the hammer that way you will not ruin the threds.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, July 12, 2013 6:39 AM
Got the left strut out no problem, but didn't realize the spring would come with it and will have to go back with the compressor tool to finish the job on Monday or Tuesday.

We did hammer the bolts out.

Either I don't understand what has been said above, or nothing difinitive was put up here, but since it is only the tie rod end and the knuckle bolts, does that affect the alignment?
Friday, July 12, 2013 6:30 PM
Yes, that is how you align the car. The parts you are replacing it with are made different. When you align a car it's to the .1 of a degree. So there no way you could even get it within 1 degree of variation unless you are very lucky. Any time you replace a balljoints, tie rod, strut or any part the connects to it or just remove them, you need an alignment.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search