Found this on Craigslist (1986 Skyhawk) - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Found this on Craigslist (1986 Skyhawk)
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:52 PM
1986 Buick Skyhawk For Sale

"1.8 litre 4 cylinder turbo 51,000 orig. miles automatic could use a couple tires and a head gasket . silver with black interior 1000 OBO"

I think the car is awesome and classic (like everyone here), but to my dad it's junk.
Is it worth it? I see that it is a T-Type and a Turbo, and out of 91,421 Skyhawks, how many were made like this?

TIA,
Dom

Can't drive yet but looking for a solid car! 80s J's seem to be my favorite.

Re: Found this on Craigslist (1986 Skyhawk)
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:13 PM
I'd buy it, but then I'm a first gen fiend... Is that the one with the hide-away headlights? And the only J-body I know of that came with hood struts? Also love those buick and oldsmobile dashes, liked them over the standard cav dash. Oh and the spoiler... I so want a spoiler for my hatch
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:58 PM
Dom.... to those who know me on here, i'm definitely partial to these cars! That is a very fine example of an '86 hatch. Even all of the badges are still there, including the one on the dash. Take good care of it by slowing down the rust that's there, then work on the rest. If you can, find a non soil area to park the car, as the floorpans will want to disappear on you, due to the soil holding moisture.

Buick only made the '86 turbo hatches during the last six months of that year, as they never had a hatch body style before. '87 was the last year of the turbo hatches, period. So you indeed have a rare vehicle.

Good luck... great find you have there.

Alan
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:55 PM
looks good...

But those doors are done! Don't think you could even repair those.....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:22 PM
The dash really catches my eye compared to the Cavaliers, and those doors really are too far gone. What years of doors would fit it? Would the interior door panel bolt right on?

I really like this car. A lot. I just want to prove to my dad (a mechanic) that these are good cars. He doesn't want anything to do with them, but I think he's wrong. I mean, here's a whole community that cherishes these. Any input that shows him why you guys do what you do?

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:52 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/647974/1985-chevrolet-cavalier/ Here is the link to my car with it's full history.It is as current as I can make it with out the soon upgrades to start fairly soon.I will say these cars are fairly easy to work on and while some parts are no longer available we some how get by with improvised things.I myself have stored lots of parts I found for that just in case scenario and tend not to sell anything I may need before I have duplicates of certain items.As for the doors I know cavalier 1st gen doors will work and or yeah sunbird no ?.Plus some parts are very low cost and still sold online and in stores (some have to be ordered) but can be purchased.While my ride is not a Z or a vert the type 10 has some cool features and shares some things with the Z model to a degree.I could write him a novel but,I am no author and maybe if he checks this forum to see the WOW factor these cars bring us he might grasped it idk.

Friday, July 12, 2013 6:36 AM
Dom--

any 82-87 j-body coupe/hatch door will work, they all have the same skin. Also if you find an 88 or 89 Firenza or SkyHawk that will work as well because those never got the 2nd gen treatment.

You can NOT use a 2nd gen door on a 1st gen. I think a few of us here tried and found out the hard way it doesn't work.

Getting a door off requires a 15mm socket & and 11mm box/open wrench for the lower hinge bolts; the 11mm is on the outside and takes time and patience to remove. I would suggest a pin popper tool from Amazon.com (about $25) to slam the upper pin through the upper hinge.
Friday, July 12, 2013 12:29 PM
talk em down... The doors are toast. But I would buy it for sure.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:15 AM
I spoke to the owner of the car. The car is really clean as far as rust goes, (his words) and the head gasket dumps coolant into the exhaust, thankfully not the engine block. He seems to know what he's doing because he has other projects as well, and he even said the doors are repairable. My dad and I want to take a trip out to see it soon. Well, I want to, but he has to drive.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search