Yeah, Wayne Screwed Up... - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Yeah, Wayne Screwed Up...
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:25 AM
It's a good sized tear, so I guess it won't last long then

I just know the labor cost is gonna suck, probably around $200, at which point that and what I paid for the struts, the removal of which caused my boot problem; I could've just had the job done.

Of course then I would still understand nothing about suspension, and now I have a much greater understanding of it.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:41 PM
I never given much thought to the subject, but it does make some sense to pull the shafts and get them out of your way when replacing the struts. At that point it is very easy to remove them if you have a puller handy. The only place you will be when removing the nuts under the hood is on top and of course the strut assembly lets go...... it's gonna head for the next thing below......outer CV Joint Boot area.

I'll definitely remember this when I go to replace them in both my J's. Always good stuff to learn on here!!

I'd like to encourage you to go ahead and tackle the job yourself. If you replaced the Struts you can replace the shafts too. I believe you could drive the bad shaft a few weeks till you get a payday together to get the parts. You'll need to get a puller & adapter to apply outward force against the inside of the inner joint cup. Check around - there may be a loaner tool available in your area.

You'll save plenty in labor, know the job wasn't half &ssed, and of course you'll learn some more!! The more you fix yourself my friend, the more confidence you will gain along the way! Warning!! This Can get contagious! You may, one day - find yourself fixing things that aren't yet quite broken?!

Take your time, think the repair out before you start on it.

Don't get intimidated.

Real people put this thing together and so can you

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:18 AM
Back in the day, the GM techs had a cover to put over the boot to keep this from happening; and I really guess I should've put some cardboard over the boot.

but i didn't...
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:06 PM
Like I posted before. There should be no reason to pull the strut. Just remove tire , caliper, rotor. Then remove the nut on the axle and have the steering wheel turned all the way. Remove the clamp from the inner most part of the inside clamp and pul the axle. Replace your turn boot and the clamp for the inside and reassemble. Problem solved. No need for a puller. You just need 3 clamps and a boot.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search