Multitasking: Jbody & mowing the grass - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Multitasking: Jbody & mowing the grass
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:01 AM
When I mow my large yard with my 1946 Ford 2N tractor, it takes about 2 hours for one section, and hour for another section and 45 minutes to do the last section around the house. As a result of this much time on the tractor, I frequently will park my current Jbody project car in a location so that I can stare at it from different angles while doing the mowing to have something inspiring to look at. The time on the tractor also allows me to problem solve the situation at hand and formulate the next order of attack. Recently the Sunbird project has been in this spot light many times and this strategy has helped me find clarity in the direction I should head since I have just spent a few hours thinking about it.

I was just curious if anyone else strategically power parks their car for viewing pleasure when mowing the lawn or doing other outside tasks....or if this is just another instance of me being a little "different" from main stream society?

Re: Multitasking: Jbody & mowing the grass
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:13 AM
Very much so, lawn takes about 4-5 Hours to cut with the rear bagger, then my other one takes an hour on its own. But I do this all the time. Unfortunately I don't have the option of moving most of my j's in less I use my truck to pull them... But yes, all the time...
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:23 AM
Those must be some huge properties...I get mine done in about 45 minutes. If my place was flat it would probably only take about 20 minutes.

I can't move the car anywhere to get a better view, but I've spent plenty of time staring at it.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:15 AM
Can't say I have quite the luxury of larger property/ tractor you folks have. However I do set on the front porch swing and enjoy the view myself. Also since I am a lowly Janitor in a factory, I have lots of time doing the same mundane chores day in and day out . I spend a lot of that time mentally working on the cars while I "go through the motions". Many many hours daydreaming at the job over the years. Actually have come up with some pretty good solutions that way too.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:05 PM
Great to know I am not alone on this one. Gonna go and first move the sunbird out and then go spend the rest of the daylight mowing the grass. Sure is easy and quick to fix a car in your head, but seems to take 10 times longer in reality.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:28 PM
Bill, I have been parking mine at the other end of shopping center parking lots for 20 years just so it won't get dinged. Then on the way back to the car I can look at it from a distance. Guess we are all a little different

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:52 PM
I open my garage doors so I can look at my cars when I am working in the yard too...

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:13 PM
For me I look at sunny in my garage all covered and up on jacks.I routinely roll the cover back and pop my hood checking for any unwanted mice nest in case one got in the garage.I also have a big array of of parts hanging on my walls all Jbody stuff and see my spare engine and trans and just think wow I busted my --z to get all these cool pieces to save.So no outside shots but,I live in my garage on my days off and can appreciate the general idea of viewing your favorite ride inside or out.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:52 AM
I've got 10 acres of land to maintain at my parents place (where all my toys are) and I have 1/2 an acre myself...
Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:35 AM
Bill - love the signature pic.

Nice to see we are all updating our pics

Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:26 AM
Just a little heads up on the sig's fella's keep them at or below 500x200 pixels as you could get a warning or ban, I did a few yrs ago for 1 pixel too big . We're lucky that mod's tend to not pay attention to 1st gen forums as we're all adults here.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:34 PM
Didn't know - went by the Kb allowed for upload. I will address this ASAP!!

Thanks for letting us know!!

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:40 PM
I got a warning on my sig a few weeks ago. I tried to change it and it will not change. So I deleted the link completely and put just a J in it's place and it still will not change???

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:15 PM
Deleted mine for now. Hopefully this will get me out of the Red Zone till I can sit down and attempt some photo editing.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:17 PM
I like Bills' Sig myself. Shows everything. Think that is where I will go with mine too.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:31 PM
Here ya go 84conv

Just go into control panel > Edit My Forum Options > Paste this into Signature then save
(img) http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/3bc2/krlsgca8ajjiw8sfg.jpg (/img)
Just be sure to replace the ( ) with [ ]

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:09 PM
Thanks a Bunch Spike!! I've fixed mine now, got it down to a reasonable 500 x 163 - looks like it should too instead of screaming "Look at Me" stupidity.

Still like Bills Sig and hope to work on a photo to use like his!!

It is so nice to have good helpful folks like Spike to keep us between the guardrails !! Thanks again!!

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:56 PM
I just tell people to mow the lawn for me then I can stare at the car from the pool or the living room lol. Then think hmm its really hot out there do I really want to put that on my car today... There's always tomorrow.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, July 26, 2013 4:04 PM
Ok Did it . Same thing I have been trying. It updates my sig if I PM someone but not a forum post?????

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:38 PM
I poop in my potty and think about my car at times and have come up with great ideas while doing so
Friday, July 26, 2013 7:36 PM
Ok been playing around with Linux version of PhotoShop (GIMP) . Fixed up this quad before & after Sig. Just to be OK I set it up as 299 x 199 Pix. Whadda ya think?....

Friday, July 26, 2013 10:30 PM
Ok hope not to get wayyyy of topic here but this is holding up my work on my cav.This is my nephews 98 accord and had to replace the rear bumper and support he got rearended and was a hit and run! I found a cherry color matching bumper for 92.00 and swapped out.Next found after pulling the wheels off two items.Rear brakes were toast as you see and got new pads/rotors.Next was the real task a busted and grease everywhere drvr side cv joint.I replaced the whole axle with a reman and did have to buy the 36mm socket(actually was free) with my autozone rewards card I had a 20.00 credit so good,but had to buy a torque wrench that would go up to 180ft lbs so did that.It will go up to 250 ft lbs btw.I spent the last two days working hard to get the car rolling and will do a full detail next wk and also had to do the valve cover gskt it was leaking like a river literally.So sorry if this is out of place but explains my delays fixing my own stuff go figure.End result a safe car for the young nephew for his college days soon to start his soph year.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:29 AM
Not to threadjack but I thought I'd leave this here:
Newegg ShellShock Deal Eastwood 12pc Interior trim tool set 50%off starts @ 1pm Pacific time and ends at 3:59 pm Pacific time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search