What a close call. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What a close call.
Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:50 PM
To start I figured I would post a photo mine being serviced today since everyone else is. It must be J-body repair season. I have had an issue with my oil pressure for about 7 months now. I lose pressure only when I make left turns. I have also noticed about a quart and a half low every 3k. My oil pan has been leaking so I resealed that today, but the big surprise came when I dropped the pan. I noticed right away that the oil pick up tube was missing. It was laying in the bottom of the pan! I had welded the tube to the pump butthe metal broke off right behind my welds so it caused the tube to come loose. I think it was still partially attached because I never lost oil pressure completely just around left turns. I had a used one from a 3400 that I installed. Because this one is stock and not high performance my oil pressure doesn't sit as high but it is at least constant now

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/jmm642003/IMAG0207_zpsc3bf4a41.jpg[/IMG ]

Re: What a close call.
Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:36 PM
Well at least you found the problem.I have dropped my pan couple years back on a resto job and redid my pump and gasket assembly at the time.Glad it was not worse.Long day and tired so short on comments.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:32 AM
Looks like you got really lucky there!! This is a pretty good reminder- I been wanting to install mechanical oil pressure gauges in my 2 also. Idiot lights can make one feel like an idiot when the engine goes poof seconds after the light comes on.

What are your plans to fix the tube this time? I've heard of problems with dipsticks but this is a first with a tube itself.

Your Cav is still looking sweet there Josh!! Perhaps the Tires and Clearcoat wears away, but the Fun Factor will always be there!

Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:35 PM
Orlen I normally weld the tube to the pump after setting the height but I'm short on funds right now. I used a used one my dad has on a 3400 he has laying around.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search