fuel pump pressure test - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fuel pump pressure test
Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:39 PM
how exactly does one go about doing a fuel pump pressure test on the 2.0 4 cylinder with tbi (86 cimarron). The manual is less than thorough. Do I just need like the 20 dollar mechanical fuel pressure gauge from oreilly or do I need all kinds of fittings as well? i did find a test kit at harbor freight but it specifically said it wouldnt work on GM tbi systems.

Re: fuel pump pressure test
Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:56 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=12103&t=12103 Go to the 2nd page and there is a fitting that screws into the throttle body then the primary feed line screws onto it.This adaptor has a scrader valve to check the psi and it should be between 9-13psi.IF this link only shows the kit as I have found it to show you might need to buy the kit.I know this adaptor is available and just did not research it enough to find this which can be bought separate.I also plan on buying just the adaptor being I have the gauge to read such so If I find it on the above link I will pop it up later.At least this thread gives a good read to understand how things work and IF you get the fitting just leave it on there for future use.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:18 PM
i went ahead and ordered up the actron GM Tbi fuel pressure test kit. I couldn't find the adapter for any less than 15 bucks shipped and the harbor freight test kit is like 20, so it wasn't much more for a one shot deal. Maybe someone on here will want to buy it from me for a discount after?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:23 PM
Yep, you can order just the adapter from Actron for $5 + shipping.

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16216
Its best to install this by removing the TB so you have plenty of clearance to screw it in without interference. That should get you up & running. If you have limited access or don't want to install it there, I believe you could also install it inline before or after the fuel filter under the car.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your project. Are you thinking you're not getting enough fuel? My old '86 had a rusted fuel pipe inside the tank that caused erratic pressure and eventually killed the pump. I would guess its a common thing now with these cars due to age and moisture / ethanol in the fuel.

Cheers,

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:34 PM
1st gen fuel pumps are very affordable. A quick check at the "Zone and I can get a Pump, Strainer, and Fuel Filter for just $65. "Zone is currently offering $20 off ship to home over $100.

Used this offer a lot when I was working on my Ranger and saved enough to get a new Radiator !!

Another way to look at it, is you can spend $65 now and save yourself a Tow Bill if your Pump strands you out there....somewhere...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search