V8Z24 ...for real ! - Page 5 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V8Z24 ...for real !
Monday, July 29, 2013 6:46 PM
Hmmmm..... That sounded like a wee bit more than the "85 Raw Horsepower" Daryl Scott had in his old Video!!

I'm so used to getting around on 85 in the Wagon and 84 on the Coupe - I'd be much afraid to go for a spin in this Hatchback!!

Regardless of the comments above - Dayum!!! That sure sounds MIGHTY Sweet!! Been waiting patiently for this video too!

Keep the pace - things are coming along very nicely Cody!! Enjoying Your Progress!!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:50 PM
Cody, Great build. Pro Street or drag only?
Your start up video was better thann mine...
Keep up the good work.
If you ever get to weigh it, would like to know.
Thanks

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:02 AM
Love the hatch! Has me tempted to reskin the Chevette in first Gen Hatch skins!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:52 AM
Thanks guys!, and the car's going to be pro street Mikey.
Well, will be whenever it gets done haha.

So, I've been puttering away slowly, but SOME more of the wiring done(gave up and waiting on someone else)
I really need the wiring done so we can put the dash in and get everything finished there, and then put a windshield in so it'll be easier to paint.
Screwed up doing the brakes(forgot to coil them), so I'm going to finish that in a bit, just need more lines.
We got the driveshaft back after being shortened!

Been waiting the past week on joints for it, but They should be in tomorrow or today.
Just means I'll have a video of this thing going up and down the road once the brakes are done, and we put the driveshaft in.
Thursday, August 08, 2013 6:35 PM
Ok Cody. I'm gettin' way too old I guess!!

Took me way too long to realize there was actually something J-related in your photo!!!

Finally spotted the Drive Shaft right in the center of it all .......

Doesn't look all that short if one is like me and has been around a Chevette!!

Try painting a Spiral from end to end....it will mess with your head if you get to watch it while it is rotating!!

Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:33 PM
Took me a minute as well to figure out what was being displayed.Lime green driveline or were you show casing the saw case.Still cool that your getting things at least done.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:41 PM
Hey Cody, How's the project coming along?

Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:37 PM
Well, I haven't had much time to work on it, as I'm spending my free time trying to find a new daily driver(which as of a couple hours ago, might be getting one tomorrow ),
The driveshaft's in, and I bent all the brake lines, and flared them all, come to find out I was doing it too fast and forgot to put on the correct ends for the line lock.
I have to re-do two lines with the linelock fittings. I'm hoping to get a video of going up the road in it by my birthday, which is the 22nd.

On the other hand though, I'm having a hell of a time with the wiring. I should of invested in a painless wiring kit, and the wiring would probably be done by now.
I need to figure out what plugs I don't need, so I can just tape them to the harness to show I don't need them, or just cut them out completely.
I've been trying to put the dash in the car so I can make a move on getting it together faster, but the wiring is really slowing me down.
After I figure out what I don't need and can clean up the harness a little, I need to cut, lengthen and merge the dimmer switch + headlight switch, into the base model 85 light switch... hook up the brake lights, reverse lights + neutral safety..... get the gauges wired in... Mount relay + fuse box.... merge in the windshield wiper controls,... wire in underglow(it was incredibly cheap, so why not)..... wire the fan relay + manual override switch for the fan.... Line lock/switch/light...... rear view mirror lights.... etc etc.
I really hate wiring. It's not my strong point at all.

some other things I have to get a jump on immediately too since the car's going to be mobile, so we can take it down the road to get painted. I have to figure out what I'm doing for a hood prop too, as I'm using the 2nd gen one and it's way too long for my needs, and the first gen one would be too lopsided with the extra weight added from the scoop + fill. the exhaust, seatbelts, windshield washer fluid resoiver + pump, heater are all needing to be figured out as well. Along with how I'm going to do the emergency brakes, as there's no room in stock location, and the driveshaft is directly below there.
I also started putting money into a small box to help fund the motor Im going to build for this car next year, along with the T-56 6-speed I'm throwing in it.

Some wiring I KNOW I don't need, would be instrument cluster, old factory radio + stereo wiring, heater, factory neutral safety, and there's a lot I know that won't be needed.. Just incase anyone knows which plug is what, it would greatly help me figure out what I don't need, as the factory manual doesn't help too much.

some peektures of the past few weeks.

I just want to throw my dash in, but I know if I do it'll make wiring 10x harder down the road to do.

Also picked these up at a local automotive flea market held up in New Brunswick this weekend.
Debating on throwing them in the hatch, or saving for my next car. $80, what a steal!

Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:40 PM
Wow the wiring is def all over.Those seats look pretty sharp.I would try and point out somethings but,I am tireddddd and not really focused tonight.At least your making some headway.

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:34 AM
Those seats are stellar man. I could also use a pair.

OMG - your wiring. I though I had it bad. I went through this myself. Good winter project.

Keep it up Coby. you're doing great.

Cheers

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:43 AM
I'd like to add an observation of mine about wires I've notices during my life.

Wires are bored little things and I guess they get kinda lonely. No matter how hard you try they always manages to get all tangled up with one another. I've just come to live with them being like that - even a shop light or extension cord if given half a chance will tangle itself up incredibly complicated! Come to think of it ....garden hoses are pretty good at that too.

You ride is looking better with each post my friend! Unsolicited advice ..... take the time on the wiring and concentrate on just one thing at a time. You have plenty of time and can take a day here and there and just focus on a piece of the puzzle. You'll have things in order before you realize you were there!!

Perhaps you can keep the prop rod you are using - cut it down a bit and weld it back together.

How about this for your E-Brake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Purple-Racing-Drift-Hydraulic-Hand-Brake-Handbrake-Drifting-E-Brake-Lever-/130901543391?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7a5709df&vxp=mtr

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:18 PM
For your hood prop, would it be possible to just use the stock setup with that small rod on the left side going through the hoop on the hood, then putting the same thing on the right side--you know, have two props to keep the hood up?

What about room under the hood to place the shock like my SkyHawk? I don't have a prop rod.
Friday, August 23, 2013 1:25 PM
haha thanks guys, and as for a hood prop, I actually might look into the hood shocks, but I might cut the one I have and re-weld it I guess(that'd be the easiest thing to do). I just don't think it'd look the best.

As for that e-brake, I wasn't really thinking of going hydraulic route. It might be wise though, so I'll definately look into it,
but I think I might just try to find a set-up out of a 2nd gen camaro, or s10. The rearend is out of a 2nd gen camaro so that's why I was thinking that route haha.

BUT the car is mobile!!!!

My buddy came over at 9am this morning and me and him did nothing but slave away on this thing today.
We finished the brakes, made sure there were no leaks (what a baaaad time that was), and bled them.
Put the car on the ground and debated taking it for a drive up the road!
We didn't though, due to all the rain that was left on the road from earlier this morning, and an insane amount of kids outside.
Without further ado, here is a video of it being moved outside, and backed into a spot in the sun to take some pictures of it. Just some proof that it has working brakes now .
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201234198591579&l=2396964838183752308

We tackled the wiring a bit and managed to get the dash in!
It took too many zip ties, to get the wiring harness tucked away all nicely with wires going where they should be going(keyword would be SHOULD).
Even did enough that we mocked up the instrument cluster in the dash to make sure it wouldn't hit the steering column brace haha.

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:19 PM
SWEET!! Got to Give a BIG Round of Applause - Super Progress!

Dash and IC look very nice - gives the interior that original flavor.

Kinda looks like you are torn between the Pontiac and Chevy Steering wheels. I've got both of them too and luckily have both models so I can enjoy both at the same time. They are a tough to choose between! The wheel you are using now has a long history in Chevys....as you probably well know.

Friday, August 23, 2013 8:59 PM
Nice to see the dash in a visual closer to finished.Awesome work and closer to getting it rolling down the road status.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:52 PM
Cody, this is freakin' awesome man.
Think you'll be rolling before winter?

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:03 AM
Yeah, It took longer then I thought to find one of those steering wheels too haha. I love them though, because dad always had one in his 68 camaro.
and thanks for the compliments guys!
I hope it'll be done by winter, but if not, it'll be done during the winter. Pretty sure I have to get an engineer to come look at it so that'll take a little while to get on his waiting list haha. but that just means we'll have fun tinkering with it all winter. I'll be taking it up the road for a nice drive once it's super sunny + dry outside though just to see how the car feels. just need to put some disposable tires on the back before I take it for a drive this week haha.

since I hate making posts without pictures, heres another picture of some of my cav's + 240sx in the driveway... + my friends 04 cav

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:41 PM
Well, It's been a while since I last posted so I figured I'd post an update.
Haven't had that much time to work on it due to work, illness, and most recently GTA5 coming out...
But I figured I'd post a video on here of the car's first drive up the road.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201416936959924&l=8782465123383949494
I know the video isn't anything special, but it sure was an amazing feeling to have the car going(another reason for going so slow, to make it last longer).
Things I learned from the cars drive would include that I need to rebleed the brakes, and the alignment needs done BAAAAAAD. I was trying to drive with my hand on top in the middle of the steering wheel, and for a lot of it, I ended up driving with it completely to the side.
I also took a video of making sure the linelock works, but it's not that good so I don't think I'll upload it.... BUT it does work .

The wiring is nearly complete as well, and I'm already starting to cut up carpet to place in the car.
Currently the fan/temp relay + fan override are hooked up, but don't seem to want to work, so that should be an easy fix. I also need to do the instrument cluster once all the wiring for the fan is figured out. Also going to leave a couple wires to be ready to hook up to an aftermarket heater set-up Ill have to get before we get the car 100% legal.

I feel bad about not making much progress, but my new daily driver is more of a priority currently.

Still aiming to get this pig painted before snowfall though! ....which is very unpredictable here in Nova Scotia this time of year, haha.

...Here's a little nostalgia haha. Thats what? Just over three years ago?
....Before I realized it was too rotten and had to pick up a Firenza shell.

Friday, September 20, 2013 8:38 AM
LOOKS AMAZING, even sans paint...

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:13 PM
Still very cool to see that thing move!You surely have dumped a lot of time into it,and know it will be some serious fun when complete.Like

Friday, October 04, 2013 5:40 PM
great job Cody, love the sound.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:24 PM
Well, My electrical is basically DONE
Everything's hooked up, and everything is finished minus reverse lights, neutral safety + the stereo. It's all hooked up but somethings wrong because they don't work currently.
Funny story too, We thought the gas gauge didn't work either, but turns out I just needed gas aha.
It was quite a good night's work though. Only other glitch I have to fix is the dash lights come on as soon as there's power(instead of with the light switch) which should be easy to fix regardless.
Next time I'm over and my girlfriends at work, I'm going to start cutting up the carpet to shove in it, so the seats can finally go in, then I can finally frigging put the windshield in.
I was suposs to have the guy that painted my nova come over today to see if he'd be interested in painting the car, but he never showed up. Oh well.
My father also picked me up a sort of rare present a while ago at a yard sale as well. You can't see it that well, but it's the center out of a monza spider for the steering wheel haha.

Another thing that happened today was I got my inner-fenders.
They're going to take some more modifying but they should be in and painted very soon.

It felt some nice to have the thing running though and actually watch the tach and everything else work/move.
It wasn't a nice feeling though, to walk out of the nice warm garage to see all our cars covered in frost. Winter's coming too quick

and this is the last picture(hopefully) I'll ever have of my cars with my 90 z24. as it's sold haha.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:01 PM
Nice touches there.I can see the horn center.Nice to see things are gradually closing in on a more finished car.Great work and those rims just look super tight(or just kick az) for short.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:15 AM
Your build reminds me a lot of a similar project I had with a 67 Camaro. The floor and trunk was rusted out so I did a pro Street. BB 4 speed. was a blast.

I hope you get all the bugs out and complete it this winter. V8 Cavys have to stick together man.

Cheers Buddy

Sunday, November 03, 2013 2:37 PM
sweet, love how you did the gauge cluster keeping it to the original look. coming along nicely, so Jelly
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search