1984 Cavalier 5 Speed Manual Trans Rattle? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1984 Cavalier 5 Speed Manual Trans Rattle?
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:12 PM
84 Cavalier 2.0 with 5 Speed Manual Trans.

About a month ago I started to get at a rattle under moderate acceleration. It almost sounds like pinging or loose gears or like I am in too high of a gear. The car is fine in neutral and I can rev the engine with no noise at all. It is quite as a mouse when cold for the first 2 or 3 miles when I start driving it. I checked the trans lube and it is fine and clean. I replaced it with 5w 30 two years ago when I did the clutch and engine swap. I also put it up on blocks and ran the front wheels but I cannot duplicate it with the wheels off the ground.
I was thinking of draining the 5w 30 out and putting in some Lucas additive with 20w 50 to see it the symptoms change.
Any Ideas?
Anyone running gear lube in a manual trans?

Re: 1984 Cavalier 5 Speed Manual Trans Rattle?
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:04 PM
More than likely its probably a bearing inside the transmission. The best stuff I have found for quieting those types of noise is the syncroshift fluid sold by BG products. Some transmissions need additives along with the fluid to ensure proper operation and eliminate noises. Dealers and most independent shops that do complete fluid exchanges will have this product. I can get you this I would just need to know how many quarts it holds.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:51 PM
I had that happen in my 84 4 speed and it got worse with noise. I ended up having the trans rebuilt...

I haven't touched the fluid in years. Prolly something I should get on.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:57 PM
5w30 is the wrong fluid. It is too thick!!!! You need to run gm synchromesh. You will ruin the bearings and other moving parts in th trans as it will not lubricate properly. Your rattle should go away once you change it as long as you didn't ruin anything.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:59 AM
The dipstick for the trans has "use 5w 30" on it, that is why I put the 5-30 in. Yes, I agree it seemed to be odd to me.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:53 PM
You sure it's the original dipstick? Search on v6z24.com for rebuild getrag or something like that. There is a few page article of all the manual Trans for the 1st -3rd gen jbody and tells you about them and how to rebuild them. It wilay which fluid for the trans and may help you diagnose it l

Thursday, August 01, 2013 7:40 PM
Ok thanks for the info on the V6-Z info I'll check it out. Got me thinking so I checked the factory manual and it specs 5W-30 as the lube to use. I've had the car since 86 but you never know what can happen. I had the clutch replaced back in 92 and who knows what AAMCO did (could have swapped dipsticks and I never would have known). I'm going to try the syncromesh lube that you and Josh have recommended. I just need to get a 24mm box end wrench to get the drain plug off. The open end I have slipped and I do not want to strip the bolt head.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:37 PM
It is odd that it requires motor oil. The only manufacturer I've seen use that is Honda. Normally GM uses syncromesh or ATF. I guess you learn something new every day.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:41 PM
Actually in both of my chiltons and I think even in my original manual for sunny it specifies 5w30 oil for the trans.I have a four speed and also have read in my Haynes it can use atf dex 3 which is what I currently run.

Friday, August 02, 2013 6:02 AM
5w-30 in the manual and on the dipstick for my 84 4-speed too. I thought it was odd, but I have seen worse.

So are we thinking there is something better to use? This is starting to head where an earlier post of mine was on my Uplander. Came with two different Dexron specs depending on model year - same parts in trans. Just got really pricey to go to the newer spec. I need to change out my fluid so interested in where this goes.

Friday, August 02, 2013 4:45 PM
My 87 fiero gt, 89 z24 with a 91 tranny, and my 00 z24 all say they require synchromesh. Maybe in 84 they did not use that. All my cars are 5 speeds. Synchromesh is a really thin oil so it may be too thin for your tranny. Maybe try some additives. It could be a throw out bearing rattle. Mine rattled like a tin can for a few days after I installed it.

Friday, August 02, 2013 5:54 PM
Toss my horse shoe .......... How about 5w30 Full Synthetic? Could even go a bit thinner full synthetic too.

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:14 PM
Well, got the correct wrench and with a little heat was able to crack the drain plug. Refilled with syncromesh Pennzoil lube and It was quiet for the 30 mile ride tonight. It was cool at about 70 degrees. Going on vacation for the next 5 days so won't be able to check it really hot.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search