Shifte Knob - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shifte Knob
Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:02 PM
Thinking about changing the shift knob on my Cav Convt. Will it turn off or is this not designed to be removed. The 5spd shifter knob on mine was always a nuisance, but now is worn smooth. Any thoughts/knowledge on how this comes off?
Thanks, Ken.

http://s173.photobucket.com/user/drost582/media/Cleanedup.jpg

Re: Shifte Knob
Tuesday, August 06, 2013 6:19 PM
I believe they are pressed on. You pull and twist. I could be wrong. I do not belive any jbody came with a screw on shifter. My one shifter I cut off and I welded a threaded rod on it.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, August 06, 2013 8:18 PM
Mine has a torx head screw on the leading side (front).

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:16 PM
Yes all the manual shifter knobs have a allen key screw head that normally faces towards the radio and hvac controls.The shifter has a flat style lever at least on the ones I have removed and no thread like the traditional styles.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 5:54 AM
I like the old T handle on my automatic, but now that makes me wonder if it comes off the same way.
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 7:51 AM
Automatic shifters have a plastic pin , reminds me of a staple in the same location - facing the radio. Use a small blade screw driver to ease it out and pull to remove.

Just a tiny FYI. The Pontiac auto Handles are canted about 15 degrees toward the driver and are designed with better ergonomics vs. Chevy & Caddy are straight like a T. I have a Chevy with a Caddy Console and a Pontiac Shifter Handle.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:03 AM
Good info. Need to get off my rear and go check. Will keep you guys informed of what I find.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:52 AM
Good to know those automatics come off so easy (yeah, right, it'll probably take me two weeks).

For some reason I like the T handle, but once the tears stop with what I've been doing this year, and I only have the blood and sweat, I'll be turning my eye to the inside of the car. I already know what seats I want, I have the wheel installed...but I want to do some sort of console box...
Thursday, August 08, 2013 8:55 AM
Felt around the front of shift knob. Can feel the hole, will try torx number 15 or 20, to remove set screw. Thanks guys, knew everyone here would be willing to share info. Must keep these old things running.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:41 PM
Indeed we do share a lot of how to remove,check or replace here.Like if you were to remove your instrument cluster,disconnecting the speedo cableat the transmission allows slack to pull the cluster forward to unhook it.Also removing the plastic covers below the column and dropping the steering down with 2 bolts allows the cluster to come out no problem.There are 2 bolts holding it but do not confuse the 4 bolts that are on the bracket on sides two each side as these just support it.I have seen a lot of center consoles destroyed bc people in hurry do not remove the ash tray in back and take out the screws and or bolts holding it and then the ebrake handle,and then the one or two screws in the pockets at the ebrake if you have no true console hole.I could ramble on with more and I will stick with what people ask specifically when taking things apart.

Friday, August 09, 2013 7:42 PM
my bad, I meant to say allen key not torx. I also use a small flathead screwdriver from one of those precision screwdriver sets to remove...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search