Factory J-Body Luggage Rack Parts - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Factory J-Body Luggage Rack Parts
Sunday, August 11, 2013 8:16 AM
Does anyone have any parts for the factory installed trunk mounted luggage carrier on a gen1 convertible/coupe ? I am looking for the center rails with inserts and there are none of these anywhere in the local bone yards. If anyone has any of these parts lying around, please PM me! Thanks!

Re: Factory J-Body Luggage Rack Parts
Monday, August 12, 2013 10:45 PM
I bet everyone threw there's out. My 2nd gennhad them and I shaved them off and went with a 91-94 z4 spoiler lol.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:17 PM
I will say that while I know of where to get a complete rear luggage rack assembly(umm) I do not have the time this week to acquire it.It is on a 1986 RS cavalier and black in color and IS in good condition.Now if I can make time next week to go and retrieve this I will have to charge you a junkyard fee.This place is 30 miles one way(so total 60 miles) on my car,plus my time and lugging tools.My fee is 25.00 plus the cost of the parts plus shipping fedex ground.If I were going and came across this I would not charge,but soley to go for a said item I have to justify it due to time,money and shipping and etc.Granted IF the car is still there next week I check online everyweek and verify the inventory so I do have that to help insure it is there! I cannot say I can def go next week just pointing out your a newer member that I am not fluent with,and just to pop in wanting parts I have to justify my time,miles,cost,shpg,and yeah I have to have a gain in the mix.IF you have any doubts in my intergrity scroll to the next page or two and look at my finds at the found some cool stuff at the pull a parts post.I may link it later but no bolonge with me and hope this helps answer some ?s and you know my expense up front on a request.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:27 AM
Glad you could join us Yacht!

Ron is great for finding parts in his local yards, I think those yards have cornered the market on our cars :p

What do you mean by center rails with inserts?
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:32 PM
Thanks for all of the input. There are 3 center rails ( or runners) that go front to back. Some idiot cut one short to install some lame third brake light. Anyway, event if I could come up with the center one...it would be helpful. Thanks Ron, I appreciate you keeping an eye out....but I really need a "chrome" one...maybe anodized aluminum?? Yes, I am new to the group but I have been a mechanic since '76. Had a shop in the '90's and did a ton of work for the local Pontiac Dealer. For some reason I decided to latch onto these older J-Bodys...(guess its an illness). lol . So, if any of you come up with at least 1 rail with the plastic insert...that would be fantastic. I am not the most trusting soul as I have been boned a couple of times recently with the car crap...sign of the times I guess. Things will get better the more that I meet here.
Thanks again!

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:03 AM
OK, I see what you mean.

I thought those luggage racks were all one piece with screws around the outside. I had one on my first SkyHawk 20 years ago, but had to take it off when I put a speakerbox in the trunk. The bass kept vibrating the screws loose. I was left with a trunk full of speed holes. I guess I only remembered the holes being around the outside of the trunk.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:44 PM
I will keep a visual out of the said item of interest.I have not been to my true local junkpile in here in town in three weeks and they vary on getting any 1st gen stuff in the last months.My favorite junky pile in further out but,clean yard(I mean no trash on the gound period) and graveled and wheel barrows to use.I check online for the inventory but only shows yr,make,model no submodel like verts,or z etc.I am to the point where I could have a small building just to store the extras I have but,prefer to keep them in the attic or garage up and out of the way.

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:43 AM
I have one from an 84 Pontiac its in tough shape but your welcome to it . Chrome and i believe it to be complete if you would like it ill dig it out . Let me know .
Keith

[IMG]
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:48 PM
Hey Keith!
I really appreciate the effort. I only need the center rails..not the whole rack. Any chance of a picture or two as the Dealer installed rack may be different from the factory installed rack (three or four rails). Lastly, how much to get them to me?? Baltimore, MD 21220. I can can PayPal.
Thanks again!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:13 AM
I will dig out tonight and take a few pictures for you . Shipping can't be much Im located in the Boston Area . My email is k923@verizon.net . Will try and post pictures or email to you but did not see an email address for you .
Keith

[IMG]
Friday, August 23, 2013 9:22 PM
K923 you should resize your signature before you get yelled at by the forum police.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Friday, August 30, 2013 10:49 AM
Keith, what a beautiful looking 'bird!

That would look so cool rolling down Woodward on Dream Cruise day! There was one that pulled up next to me at the Cruise, but they were too stuck up to talk to me when I complemented them on how nice the car looked.

You guys should have seen some of the looks Tom Stroup and I got when people on the side of Woodward saw two first Gen Red Cavalier Convertibles cruisin' Woodward together. It was rich! One guy stood up out of his chair and took pictures of me, sat down, his buddy nudged him pointed at Tom's, he stood up and took pictures of Tom's. It was a great evening. If any of you ever get the opportunity, you need to come to Michigan for the Woodward Dream Cruise. We know how to throw a cruise! I got Cortney Hanson (from Overhaulin') and Linda Vaughn (Ms Hurst Golden shifter) autographs at the Chevrolet Performance display. I also received a free T shirt and a bunch of other goodies at the Cruise...What a great weekend.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search