Nice looking Sunbird on craigslist - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nice looking Sunbird on craigslist
Saturday, August 10, 2013 4:07 AM
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3983822995.html
Don't know if there is anyone close to me looking for a Sunbird GT turbo but I accually drove by this car yesterday. Body looked great although the top has seen better days.

Re: Nice looking Sunbird on craigslist
Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:13 AM
I wouldn't sell mine for double the price of that car when its done, though mine will have new brakes, shocks, struts, ball joints, tie rods, fuel pump, fluids, filters, sensors, muffler, hinge pins and bushings, body work, paint, windshield, power seat, Pioneer stereo, carpet, top and tires. Those parts alone will have me at $2,500, but my car will be virtually new too.

That seems like a great price if it didn't need anything, but a new top and back window is about $250 less other supplies like stainless steel staples, glue etc. Then there is the cost of having someone put it on if your not a DIY guy. It cost my buddy $1,500 to have a top put on his 89 Z24, which included the top. But add that number to the asking price which pushes the bottom line to $4K+ with tax, title and tags and at that price, the good buy, just went good bye.

Did the headlight motors work, or were they just manually put up of the pictures? You have to take out the entire headlight assembly to get the headlight motors off, which would have scuffed the paint off my front bumper, had my paint been as nice as that one looks. The repair pills are cheap off ebay, like $15 for 6 to do both sides.

I love my Jbody drop tops and recommend them to everyone who will listen, or to older students who ask for advice about buying their first car. You just can't beat them at that price and are a parents best friend!

Saturday, August 10, 2013 1:55 PM
Agree on all points Bill. You just can't beat the cost per mile you get with these j body verts. Your right on the money with cost of top replacement. I did both of mine and it was about $250 to $300 each for the replacement tops, pads and install kit. Would have been $1200 to $1500 each to have someone install them complete.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 4:53 PM
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3971403352.html
Here's another one. I think this one is just a little over priced.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:38 PM
On the surface, I agree with you Josh that the asking price is kinda tall compared to others I have seen on the market and keep in mind if they bought it new, they paid about $14K for it, so can understand them asking about half what they paid for it thinking that there is about half its life span still left in it.
That's about the price I would tag mine at after all the work is completed, full well knowing it wouldn't sell. Mine has 165K on the drive train and was an SE like that one, but for $230, I was able to upgrade mine to a GT less the turbo engine. And though I imagine a turbo motor would be fun, I just hear too many stories of turbos not lasting in general. I like to keep it simple to repair. Besides if a guy wants horsepower, a Jbody is not the smartest place to be shopping.

It is an extremely clean, tidy looking car and I like that style Birds the best with the hide away headlights and tinted taillights. That white on white combo is what I picture a cougar driving around in Florida or Ca., GRRRRRR BABY,GRRRRRRR!!!!

Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:31 AM
Josh did the two colors on the Sunbird GT get sprayed into the door jams on the car and door, or were the two colors only sprayed onto the outside panels, leaving the door jams the lighter blue color which was the base. I cant find any picts showing if the door jams are single color or two toned too.

Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:33 PM
I love the black and blue one. Only opportunity to get a 2.0 Turbo factory in a first gen with the nice square rear
I have the cars I want, but I always like looking at other cars - my cars don't seem to mind.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search