Wayne Screwed up WORSE - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Wayne Screwed up WORSE
Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:24 AM
Some cars in pro circuit racing use them on mustangs and camaros and such. They have some crazy setups as its a progressive coil spring inside air bag. You shoul see some YouTube videos of how they handle, it's crazy.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:42 AM
FINALLY!

The struts are on, the car has 4 wheels again!

I just have a few little things to do before I take it to the shop for an alignment.

I decided to not deal with the outer CV joint boot on my own and just get it done. For the time being, I used the Permatex on the big rip on the left one.

I know the rear springs should be fine in there, but on my way to the shop, I'm sure every little sound is gonna scare me.

I can't seem to get pics to post from car domain, so hopefully I'll have some time in the next few days to upload to google+ so I can show them here.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:13 AM
Wayne if your struts weren't slotted for adjustment then the camber is already set when they are bolted onto the unibody. I think the ones I put on my Cav were slotted, but the ones I put on the Sunbird were not. The caster is built into the car and if it has never been in a wreck, then it should be fine too. Changing those two adjustments takes a fair amount of disassembly, and slotting to get them back where they should be, but more than likely would be ok if there is no history of an issue that might have knocked them out. The only real adjustment the alignment shop is going to do is set the toe in. I think the adjustment tolerance is plus or minus and 1/8". You can adjust that yourself with a helper and a tape measure. If you shoot for zero and are off a smidge, you will be within spec.
If you really wanted, I know you can check the camber, I think a simple way is with an angle finder or with a plumb bob and some trig. I just did the home alignment topic research on youtube to find out how to do it and understand the particulars of what was going on. I know its peace of mind and easy to take it to a shop, but after I did the struts on my Sunbird, I checked the camber with an expensive caster camber tool we got cheap at a dirt track swap meet and my camber was within spec. The caster is built into the unibody at the factory, so the only real adjustment I had to make was to the toe in. I used a 70's set of Snap On, light reflecting toe in gauges. I set the toe in with those, but the point the is that I also set the toe in with a tape measure on my Subaru a few months before we got the alignment tools cheap. Being picky and wanting to know how well the tape measure toe in method worked, I checked it with the snap on equipment and found we were spot on using the tape measure method. An alignment around here costs $70 and I can't personally justify spending that kind of money to just set the toe in and if your budgets tight, that's a way to keep that money in your pocket If you are leary of the results, you can check your results by driving the car to see how it feels to you, as well as keep an eye on your tires to see if they are wearing funny which would indicate an issue to address. Just something to consider as another DIY skill you could easily add to your skill set.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search