Car Show PIcs! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car Show PIcs!
Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:38 PM
Went to a car show a few weeks ago, the 80s weren't represented too much, but here is what I found:

First, I'm not the only crazy one:

a 1980 Vette!

always loved the monte:

This is a Skylark people, don't call my car a Skylark

How Regal:

Anyone see Bill Elliot?

Grand National:

Don't forget THE most important part of any car show:

Re: Car Show PIcs!
Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:20 PM
Even though some models did not have the favorite crowd following them that is something we here can relate too.Nice pics and can appreciate how some keep the well underated cars in such great shape.Too bad the cav has a rough spot that is a easy fix.I wish I could hit up a car show sometime but,working weekends every week rules that out.Maybe I will use a vacation day and eventually go.Like seeing the flashbacks of some of the 80s stuff.

Friday, August 16, 2013 4:54 AM
I was hoping to locate the owner of the J and lure him to our site, but couldn't find him.
Friday, August 16, 2013 10:15 AM
Great Pics - nice to see some Buick Love. My Wife was driving another X-car cousin to that Skylark when we were dating - an Oldmobile Omega

NICE THUNDERBIRD - not to many clean early 80s ones around anymore. My first turbo drive was in one of those with a turbo and 5 speed - I think it was an 83. Back when Cruising Gratiot was all the rage.

Chevette - We have a guy that works at MPG that has flip headlight covers on his Pontiac T-1000 that makes it look like a 68 Camaro RS - really neat.

Thanks for sharing.

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:35 PM
I like the wagon! I've never seen one of those around here. Looks like there are a lot more 80's fans in PA than here in Mass. Mine is usually the only 80's non muscle car at the local shows here. I would like to see a mint Chevette or Vega. They were hot sellers back in day if you wanted a cheap GM product that was good on gas. Had two Vegas back in college and paid a $100 a piece for them and got exactly what I paid for. LoL

P.S.
I'd love to get my hands on those blue Cav seats.

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:20 PM
There is a mint Vega I see in the summer around here, but I haven't been able to get a pic yet.

As for the wagon, that is all custom decals, nothing factory about it there.

The Free Spirit and hawk on the side are modeled after the 1976 Free Spirit edition of a SkyHawk.

That wagon was never the official pace car of anything.

Up close, it looked like the guy did it all with electrical tape, but he said he knew somebody in the 80s that did many of the decals for NASCAR teams, and that's what's on there. Sounds plausible, the decals on NASCAR don't have to look pretty when somebody is up close, and for something that will usually get wrecked/rubbed anyway, why spend too much money on pretty decals.
Friday, August 16, 2013 2:40 PM
Guess thats why I've never seen one. Have seen a few Free Spirit Skyhawks though.

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:35 PM
WoW, that Wagon could fool me!! Paint on Performance par excellence.....yes I could see this thing leading the pack with a light bar on top flashing. Idk, maybe I have too much vivid imagination or something. No LoL Wayne - not kidding.

Did anyone notice the "Woody" Buick parked next door with the "Vista Roof " ? I'm betting that was an Oldsmobile only - phrase. Buick probably called those tinted panels something else. Ahhhh, the 70's

So impressed to see a Skylark Hanging out! X-Body , GM made a GaZillion of them and now they are so terribly rare. A whole bunch of folks drove these to work - to school - they were everywhere back in the day. These are the ones I think are the true standouts in car shows - the work-a-day vehicles. Everyone shows off the muscle.

My Favorite has to be the little Chevette! Looks to be a '79 to '81 - 4-door there - with those "Luxury" WireWheel Hub Caps!! ( Anyone ever have them and remember one falling off when you was driving???)I'm thinking someone had to be fairly BRAVE to drive this to the Car Show - don't you think? I Loved these old cars. They were stupid simple to work on if cramped in places. GM made millions and millions of them and they were simply everywhere. No one was ashamed to drive them because every one else had one. One the down side, though , one can't doll up a Chevette like you can the J-Bodies. Chevetes and T-1000's came pretty much all alike. About all you could swap in might be a tilt column if you were lucky enough to find one. Our beloved J-Bodies are loaded up wit hall kinds of interesting options to enjoy, want - look for and install.

Most interesting photos of all has to be the rust on the Cavalier! Now I though rust at a car show was strictly taboo. At the very least you must cover up rust with a little paint or masking tape...duct tape..... or something...." LoL " Seriously I'd rather see a rusty J than no J - and this one being a Blue RS 'Vert just has to put a smile on both Ron and John at the same time!! :-)

Wonderful photos Wayne!! I truly enjoyed them!! Glad to see some interesting models I haven't seen in a long time!

Thank You Wayne!! Ya Did Real Good!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search