OK It's not a jbody - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OK It's not a jbody
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:16 PM
Found this on CL and I know it is not a jbody. If you were alive in the early eighties you remember these cars.
The bones of the jbody front wheel drive came from this platform and it forever changed GM. These cars were........... Anyone... Bueller?
Just another piece of automotive history.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/4002580653.html

The CL Ad reads

1980 Chevrolet Citation V6 - ONLY 25K Miles! - $2700

1980 Chevrolet Citation V6 - ONLY 25K Miles! - $2700

This car is in incredibly good condition and only has 25K miles! It's been professionally maintained by a local mechanic and everything is in good working condition. Where else can you get reliable transportation at this price and still be driving a vehicle that will turn heads. My mother literally drove this car only to the local grocery store and the bank and it has always served her well. It recently had the front brakes completely done and it's ready for a new owner.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Re: OK It's not a jbody
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:06 AM
Not a citation fan but can appreciate the original factor and miles and condition.I have a recent hemmings motor news and I think there is a x11 if that is correct for the same low cost and low miles.Guess these cars just had a limited fan base that has went flat.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:22 AM
You never know what sits in some of those Garages!!

The 4-door Hatch in particular always reminded me of a Chevette on Steroids!!

Sometimes I had a hard time discerning which one it was from a distance till it got close up!!

I remember that Body Style was very popular back then......

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:55 AM
Too bad many of them rusted as soon as they were driven off the dealer lots . I remember car shopping with my grandpa one time, he looked at a used Citation coupe, he goes to get in and his foot went thru the floor, he lifted up the carpet and the car didn't have much of a floor left . Salesman spewed a bunch of BS about not knowing how bad it was blah blah blah.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:55 AM
Those ones with the V6 really hauled. The X-11 was so underrated, this would be a sleeper version but without the upgraded suspension.
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:39 AM
Orlen I was thinking the same thing. I almost bought a bright green and yellow '77 chevette a few months ago. This one had the Laguna nose on it.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:11 AM
I love the X-11s!

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:28 PM
Nice find, and I'd jump on it if it were closer and a little cheaper.

Cars like this are a part of domestic automotive history, just as you said 84Conv...they sold like hotcakes and virtually everyone had one in their family / neighborhood ! My Grandparents had another FWD X-body Skylark for almost 10 years and ran its wheels off. My Great Grandmother had a Citation the same color as this and it served her for nearly 15 years without a problem. And a friend's mom had a white X-11 hatch that I still think is a sharp-looking car for its time.

Someone should save this little thing and preserve it to prove they existed. I'm afraid they don't have much love in the auto enthusiast community

Thanks for sharing this!

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:44 PM
My best friend in high school had a blue and silver X11 and he used to pile it full of folks and we would lay down many country and mountain road miles on it every weekend night. He eventually would wrecked it and bought a new white Berretta GTZ. Now that car really pulled strong from 60 on up. I had a 400SBC in my 55 chevy 2dr sedan, and was impressed with the GTZ's get up and go.

The peculiar thing about the citations was that the radio was installed vertically, instead of the typical horizontal orientation which made aftermarket replacement stereo upgrades impossible to do since no one seemed to make that required style of stereo to fit in the stock dash location, unless you wanted to install your stereo sideways like a dork.

Friday, August 23, 2013 8:08 PM
Forgot about that! My first job out of college was in sales and I trained with the regional manager. He drove an 83? Citation fleet car and I was in that car for 5-6 hours a day for 6 weeks. This is the radio in a Citation! I can see why it never caught on.

Friday, August 23, 2013 8:55 PM
That radio is weird all sideways.I have seen a couple citations in the junkyards and they def had been sitting for longgg periods.I am guessing motor issues or just did not want to keep it anymore.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:56 AM
Did I mention the 4 speed manual trans in my 84 is a hand-me-down from a Citation? They were the only FWD trans available at the time that could handle the massive 150 lb/ft of Torque generated by the LA5

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search