Jbod or Cimmeron telescopic column question - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Jbod or Cimmeron telescopic column question
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:36 PM
Does anyone know if the Cimmerons came with a telescopic column like the full size Caddy's did? Or could you get a telescopic column in a Jbody as an option?

Since GM parts are pretty interchangeable, I had my brother put the Caddy telescopic parts onto my 87 Trans Am column to make an F body option GM didn't offer. It worked great until the column developed another issue and I just swapped in another one since it was the simplest route at the time. I remember my brother wasn't too amused by all the trouble he had in doing it, but little brother did me a solid favor and proved it could be done.

I was wondering if I could upgrade my Sunbird column to telescope, since my Jeep steering wheel is not dished quite as much as the factory wheel is and because I like to stretch out when I drive. I don't like banging my knees off the steering when I drop the column down to comfortably drive off the top of the wheel and get it down out of the way.

Re: Jbod or Cimmeron telescopic column question
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:22 AM
Ask 90zcar lol I bet he could tell you.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: J-body or Cimarron telescopic column question
Friday, August 23, 2013 4:24 PM
My 82 Cimarron only features a tilt column. I do have 2 80's caddy's that I will be ripping apart eventually. I'll see it it works but I doubt it.
Friday, August 23, 2013 6:22 PM
I have seen quite a few Cimarrons and have never seen one with a telescopic wheel. Had one on my 84 Eldorado vert and used it all the time.

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:34 PM
Aaron please make sure to report back your findings when you get around to trying this conversion, but since my brother did it once with my Trans Am column in the past, I would almost bet you'll find it can be done. I think he had to swap the top part of the steering shaft which pivots and holds the steering wheel from the caddy column and corresponding parts, onto the T/A column bottom section from the pivot on down. I did have to custom make the column extension casing which hides the internals from being seen when the column was extended.

I would think a Caddy drop top would be a pampered ride.

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:19 PM
When I spoke with 90zcar I belive he said almost all columns were the same up into the 80s.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search