Help Needed - Heater Core - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Help Needed - Heater Core - UPDATE
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:29 AM
Orlen-

The whole situation was kinda strange. I was ready to sign on for the $150 rebuild when they came up with this other option. They were unable/unwilling to give me the part # on it. I mentioned I had others who were interested in it they said to have them go to their local radiator shop and that they were readily available and that you have to know where to look. I guess the big box stores do not sell enough to make it worth their while to stock them. They went into the "competitive advantage" rant and I stopped listening.

It is pretty darn close fit, but not exact. The core is held in place by one screw in between the pipes on the driver side and by the band clamp on the passenger side. The driver sides lines up so I left it and just adjusted the bracket on the passenger side. The unit is about 1/2 narrower than stock. It was pretty warm yesterday and hanging upside down like a bat under the dash was not my preferred task. I got the core in and will work on the cover and reassembly later this week. I will probably have to trim the tray a bit to get it to go back tight against the firewall.

I will work on getting you some better pictures.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:25 PM
Well it is just darn Great - (not being sarcastic) - that at least we have a source for a usable core. I'm not worried about businesses or advantages......just being able to source a core!! Perhaps when I get some tax money next year I can get with you and get one of these.

You might just wind up being our "Go To" Guy for Brazil A/C-equipped Heater Cores......

Maybe in this economy things are so tough these days people have to fight like cats and dogs to make a buck.......really sad to see it get like this. Our local newspaper is finally getting down to 2 days a week next month....down from the 6 day a week daily it has been for over a hundred years. Kids now can't even make some spending money carrying newspapers....

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:30 PM
Paul, Just wondering how much the one they had ended up costing. I do know one thing, in the winter I would pay big bucks just to have heat. LoL

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:39 PM
My replacement was $97 out the door. These guys will stand behind it too.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:50 PM
John, you don't have to get one of these for your Chevy. The Chevys came with a different and easily sourced aluminum Core. You can get those all day long at the local car parts stores.

$100 bucks makes my checking account backfire

Still I'd rather be able to get one........ then be out in the cold with a frozen windshield and cold feet....using the cigar lighter to warm my hands. Blowing ice cold air around to keep the windshield from fogging up....... Geeeeesssss........sounds like I been there, done that.

B L A H !

Friday, August 30, 2013 6:56 PM
About 90 degrees today - Heater core project complete. I can now melt my feet clean off if I would like...

Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:54 AM
VIOLA!!!! The part # for my replacement heater core is 399063B. It was not on te unit or box, but on the receipt itself!

Saturday, August 31, 2013 6:09 PM
5 Stars Paul!!

That number instantly unlocked the door - found it on the internet.

Lists as a direct replacement for the early '80 J2000's w-A/C,....along with a host of other applications.

Got a quote here for $75 with Shipping - such a shame the market is turning to such shameful tactics!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pli-399063/applications/?prefilter=1

Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:36 PM
Make sure you add the B at the end. Otherwise you get the one picture from Summit. That is the one that kept showing up for me.

I do have my old one if someone wants to rebuild it as a spare...

Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:27 PM
Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:44 PM
Where on earth did this come from?

I got a feeling I know someone is probably pounding a fist on the table and shaking their head.....

Looks like I'd better find $50 pretty quickly!!

Thanks Paul!!

Saturday, September 07, 2013 6:20 PM
Orlen-

I did mine my way and local. I had to be sure and have them side by side and I did pay more . Happy to help others who may need one...

Sunday, September 08, 2013 8:14 PM
My core is still doing the job and since I don't have the cash right now and plan on this as a project next year - this core is up for the first buyer!!

Paul, I thinks I will follow your lead - when I get to replacement time!! I'd like to have a fresh core instead of a NOS plus, I know yours works!! Hard to tell where that NOS has been all these years!!

Monday, March 31, 2014 6:47 PM
FYI, for anyone having the same difficulties locating a replacement heater core with the long tubes such as the part number noted in the text above (399063B), may not find this part number very useful with local vendors, I found the following interchange part numbers:

DPI/Ready Aire Manufacturer Part Number: 9093
Interchange Part Number: Delco 15-63324
Other Part Number: Everco H6142, Murray 279149, Modine 702432

Please always check how the part looks even if part numbers are reckoned to be interchangeable. Then look on ebay like I did and find one for $20!
Monday, March 31, 2014 6:54 PM
Here are a few more part number interchanges: Frigette Corp-250-265, & Four Seasons/SPI 94613
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 4:49 AM
Excellent Update Don - Thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search