removing steering wheel on 1986 z24 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
removing steering wheel on 1986 z24
Saturday, August 31, 2013 6:03 PM
So my dad live about a hour away and Im trying to remotely help him remove the steering wheel on his 1986 Z24 . He rented a puller from autozone but says there is no where for him to bolt up the puller to other than the bolt holes where the horn was bolted to and if he was to bolt to there, there is no bolts in the kit that are even close to fitting those holes. I cant see what he means. Is there a write up on how to remove the steering wheel? or is it as simple as the horn bolt holes are the holes to use and go find bolts that will thread in there? Thanks and sorry for newb question

Re: removing steering wheel on 1986 z24
Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:37 PM
If he removed the horn plate there should be two bolt holes that he can screw the remover into. He may need to add washers/spacers to get enough thread on the removal bolt to work.

With the horn plate removed.

With the horn plate installed.

I have removed three or four 1 st gen wheels with this cheapo removal tool. Sometimes the rental places will rent tools that work on newer models.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:40 PM
And with the horn button on and complete.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:21 PM
Awesome, I will send a link over to him so he can read this, thanks!
Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:29 PM
Bash a RUBBER hammer against the steering wheel from the back while someone is pulling with all their strength if no puller is accessible.
I've done COUNTLESS steering wheels that way. it takes a little bit, but it'll work.
Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:42 PM
It will work. Kind of like the time I watched a guy separate a tire from a rim with a tire Iron and bumper jack. Then he mounted the new tire in reverse order. No modern tire machines just good old American ingenuity! You learn something new everyday.

Sunday, September 01, 2013 7:32 AM
If he's never removed a wheel before, maybe he should think of the tool as a steering wheel pusher instead of a puller.

I just followed the instructions thinking "how the frack is this gonna work" until it did start working.
Sunday, September 01, 2013 8:27 AM
1st of all - Welcome Aboard Mike!! Glad to have you and your Dad here!!

Love to see photos of your Dad's '86 Z when you have a chance!

Great photos John!! - I poked around on my Computer but couldn't find any photos to help Mike out with.

I think everyone has been there before they got a puller Cody!! I remember a time or 2 trying to do that trick by myself many years ago - be darned if I think I succeeded...it is amazing what you can do when you have the brawn to make up for the brains!! just be careful when the wheel comes loose at you - both just might go flying back across the seat...Hahaa!!

I wonder who that tire changer was John?

I dug around on my computer and found those videos - put a smile on my face to watch them again. How time does fly ... I can't believe the changes I have made to the Sunbird in only a couple of years. These tires I mounted on those rims are still the ones I'm running on the Pontiac 2 years later.....LoL

Time for Credits. A Dear old Departed friend of mine , Henderson Martin , taught me this easily must be 25 years ago. I cannot begin to count the tires I've broken down and changed since that time. Saved me a fortune in cash as well. Many happy memories..... changing wheels and tires just for the fun of it or trying out different looks. Thank You "Pete"!! Didn't think you left much behind did you??? Still using what you taught me my dear friend. May you RIP.....

So I took a few to upload the videos if anyone like to watch. I managed to get the tire changed and have a 4 year old have a typical meltdown in the process...classic multitasking.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106523843413447284565/September12013

Sunday, September 01, 2013 6:48 PM
cool thanks for the help guys I will try to get some pics up eventually!

I guess he ran into another problem though, hopefully someone can shed some light on the issue: So the only reason he wanted to pull the wheel is to change the turn signal level / assembly. The only reason he wanted to do that is because the right side blinker does not blink, it only lights up solid and will not blink and will not pass inspection because of that. The other side is fine, and the really weird part is if he puts the hazards on, both sides will blink. After talking to a number of local auto parts workers they told him its probably the switch. Well it is not the switch, he said same problem is still happening. He said he checked and swapped the relays, changed bulbs, nothing helps. Any ideas what is causing that?
Sunday, September 01, 2013 7:39 PM
The only time I've seen this symptom is when a bulb is blown. In your case the 86 Z24 has tri-colored lights in the rear so you have 1156's in the back (single element bulbs), and 1157's in the front ( twin element). An easy way to tell is to turn on parking lights , then turn on the turn signal on the affected side and check to see if the bulbs light up front and back. The front bumper bulb should be much brighter than the other side. Back when these cars were new 1156/1157 were the industry standard and that simply was about all there was , and had been that way for years. Today there are Gazillions of different styles and I guess it could be possible your Dad might have a wrong type of bulb somewhere. I guess it might be possible something different might fit in a socket some how.

Now a special feature of GM cars and trucks of that era was that as the turn signal flashes , the side markers do also in reverse order. As the high beam front parking light - lights up - the side marker goes out, then the side marker light - lights back up - and the front parking goes back out. So my advice would be to check those side marker bulbs in the front fenders.

There are 2 other possibilities. One might be a bad bulb socket, the other a possible bad ground to the light circuit and that could be either front or rear, however if all bulbs are lighting up properly it sounds like a fault in the harness - an I so do hope you don't have that problem.

Here is the Factory procedure for dealing with your issue....

Sunday, September 01, 2013 8:58 PM
If that turn signal stays on it could be a ground issue. I had that happen to my 87. It had a coroded wire behind the tail light.

Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:01 PM
Could also be a bad lever assembly. Mine went bad and I went through 3-4 replacements till I got one that worked. Some would work left and some would work right and one would not disengage when the wheel was turned. They were all brand new too.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, September 02, 2013 12:13 AM
Mine did that years back and basically was the return spring on one side was broken.As long as the wheel can turn and the the signal cancels the springs are working,if not that is the problem.And if I am not mistaken the car should have 2 flasher relays one for the signals and one for the hazards! I am super tired but would check the side not working by removing the bulbs and check the sockets for black marks or corrosion.This is not hard to correct.I know I am overlooking something but a 13 hr takes it toll.

Monday, September 02, 2013 10:09 AM
I would be looking for a loose/corroded ground .

Monday, September 02, 2013 10:31 AM
I agree that usually a bulb that does not flash is seeking ground, either by a bad bulb somewhere or corroded ground. I think there is a ground wire on both sides of the radiator support, at least on my 87 Sunbird and 89 Z24. I would first suggest that all grounds that can be found be removed, cleaned and reinstalled, provided your sure its not a bad bulb somewhere. Typically the order of diagnosis is from the simplest to the most bizarre problems. Bad bulbs, grounds or sockets rate at the top of the common simplicity order.

Monday, September 02, 2013 10:38 AM
My MOPAR did this recently - check the socket...

Monday, September 02, 2013 1:54 PM
Socket ground connector was the problem on a Saturn I had a few years ago. Try messing with it while the car is running and the turn signal is on.

Monday, September 02, 2013 10:46 PM
I am too lazy to check my rear harness for the tail lights I have as a spare.But I do think the rear does have a ground wire as well but can't verify this until later this week on my days off.It is up in my attic and have to work tues.

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:21 PM
Hey guys just wanted to say thank you for all the help, thanks to your posts my dad ended up fixing the light issue, he double checked and it was the wrong bulb!
- I have a picture of their Z24 to post but no where to host it as of right now sorry
Friday, September 06, 2013 9:07 PM
Do photobucket that is where I host most of mine and simple to transfer here.Cool to here the issue was fixed.

Monday, September 09, 2013 10:19 AM
I took your advice and made a photobucket account, that was easy, thanks

Original Mileage is 41,908 .... crazy

Monday, September 09, 2013 10:21 AM
hmmm, not that easy lol

try again

Monday, September 09, 2013 6:32 PM
Wow looks like a nice car! How is the interior and underside? Has it always been in New York?

Almost though it was this car.

A few of us members here on jbody have been wondering what happened to this red 86 hatch.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:31 AM
Nice ride.Glad the photo bucket worked out.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:47 AM
Mike Flatt wrote:hmmm, not that easy lol

try again

That's a beauty

I would get rid of that hood protector/cover though, my cousin had one on his '86 Cutlass and it speeded up the rusting process on the front of the hood.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search