Cant find my transmission modulator? in my 86 2.0 automatic. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cant find my transmission modulator? in my 86 2.0 automatic.
Saturday, September 07, 2013 2:10 PM
When my car is at ideal, then I go in revers it blows a lot of smoke out the exhaust..
I was told that the vacuum trans modulator, seals are bad. it has a feed up to the intake. But I cant fin the darn thing.

help me! thanks.

Re: Cant find my transmission modulator? in my 86 2.0 automatic.
Saturday, September 07, 2013 2:12 PM
idle* reverse* sorry!
Sunday, September 08, 2013 3:46 PM
I'm not too familiar with the 4 cylinders but the modulator valve is set up the same on all cars. There should be a vacuum line from the engine that goes to the trans somewhere. I would trace that hose and see where it goes.

Sunday, September 08, 2013 7:01 PM
Carl I poured all over my tombs of manuals as well as hunched over deep under the hoods of both J's and pulled out the spare Brazil Drivetrain that I have and looked all around. . No luck here. All I could find on the Chevy was a Vent tube running from under the transmission mount back to the firewall and behind the relay station next to the Brake Booster. The Pontiac just had a cover/cap over the same vent . The Manuals make reference to one, and the Pontiac gives a very poor diagram of where one ought to be, but it isn't there on the actual transmissions.

If these cars has a Modulator Valve it is news to me. I'm guessing if you did have one and it would be bad, it ought to be puffing in drive too. Engine draws vacuum in drive too. Another symptom should be constantly having to add transmission fluid since the engine is burning it up.

Last nail in coffin is when i checked on website at AutoZone it shows one but has a note it is for TH-440-T4 transmission which is a 4 speed and didn't exist on the 1st gens.

Maybe this might be something applicable to the V-6's.

Curious where this thread will lead!

Sunday, September 08, 2013 7:57 PM
My car doesn't have one but I have the TH125C.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:30 PM
thanks guys. its funny. its my first front wheel drive car. it just dont have one, hmmm?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search