Just working on a set of wheels. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just working on a set of wheels.
Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:52 PM
......just messing around with an early set of the 13" steelies. I nicknamed these Artillery Wheels after I saw something similarly named on a 1930's car. They are starting to get hard to locate just like everything else on the 1st gens.

So I wanted to try a set in an off white just because I am so tired of all the alloys....chrome and silver painted everything else out there. So here is some progress. The end result almost reminds you of a ceramic texture. I am doing the usual Enamel from the Hardware store, and using the ultra cheap foam brushes. Instead of brushing though , I am dabbing the paint on ....something like an ink dauber of sorts.

This process is labor intensive. I expect to have about 12 hours in each wheel not including sanding, wire brushing. I did cheat a little and used Naval Jelly after cleaning the wheels up.

Just trying something new.

Re: Just working on a set of wheels.
Sunday, September 15, 2013 10:31 PM
Well that is certainly cleaner! Idk what kind of paint you used but,you might want to use some clear coat to protect it(out of a aerosol can) .I am a krylon user and there paint is a tough product to withstand most elements.I will say I do not clear the parts I paint,but wheels you might want to consider this.

Monday, September 16, 2013 4:02 AM
This just the standard X-O Rust Enamel from the local Hardware Store Ron.

Thanks for the suggestion but like all the alloys and silver these days everything is also covered up in Clear Coat too. This stuff is very pretty but is horrible to work with afterwards when you get chips and scratches. The worst is when that stuff begins to blow off. I can't help but wonder just how many good runners have been sold or worse simply because of that ugly paint. I also notice cases where cars repaired at some Body Shops look fine for a number of years to just have the Clear peal off like crazy and start to rust at the repaired area. I guess some Urethanes are better than others, but you sure do have a mess when that stuff wears out!!

Monday, September 16, 2013 10:11 AM
Looks cool Orlen. Reminds me of when they used to have white rims for jeep wranglers. I think they called them wagon wheels.

Keep on Trail Blazing!

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:20 PM
They do look good Orlen.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:03 AM
Hey Orlen,
I'm cleaning out my garage/ basement and am considering getting rid of the original wheels, tires, centers, & trim rings from my wagon.
If you want them & can figure some way to get them, they are yours.

~ Mike ~

Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:12 AM
Pic of rims on wagon:

~ Mike ~

Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:57 PM
Thanks for keeping me in mind Mike!!

PM Sent

Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:56 PM
I need a set of those center caps.. for that style wheel.
Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:27 AM
Still working away on this wheel project. Found it to be an excellent thing to be doing during these nasty days of the year. Got some space up on the 3rd floor and can easily take an electric heater up there and spend a couple of hours when I'm off. Kinda reminds me of the days when I was a kid and worked on model cars....except this one is full scale!

So I was messing around on the internet the other day nad happen to notice just how similar these wheels are to some older gereration cars of lesser GM fame.

Here is one for the dreaded H-Body:

and I cannot forget the T-Body - actually painted up a set of these years ago as well....

...and finally one of my ones in white sporting a NOS center for the 'Bird. Really looking forward to trying these out next summer - kinda excited!

Almost have a second one finished - just one more color coat on the reverse side and I'll have 2

Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:50 PM
Just a couple of photos of work in progress.....

Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:54 PM
Looks nice Orlen!

Good to see the old style wheels still in use.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:07 PM
That def looks much better!!Crisp nice clean rim with a nice center cap to add color.

Monday, December 30, 2013 6:16 AM
Nice work on those wheels!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, January 03, 2014 5:02 PM
Orlen have to second what Ron Love said. The center caps really seem to jump right off of those rims !

Any idea what they weigh bare?

Alan
Saturday, January 04, 2014 12:54 PM
14 Pounds

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:43 PM

Thx. Orlen
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:02 PM
Thought this would be a great place to post this little factoid...LoL

Had taken the photos back in November when I was greasing up my Caddy Alloys for their winter hibernation. I stumbled across this!!

While cleaning them up I just happened to look a bit closer at the reverse side expecting to see that "Made in USA" stamping that is so familiar to us all at least with the 1st Gens. But to my bitter dissapointment it was not to be.Instead I stared at an unfamiliar......."Made in Japan" Couldn't believe my eyes and shook my head. Took a few minutes to realize that the Cherry of J-Bodies had wheels made in Japan. I guess Cadillac must not had the time to make their own special parts. On the plus side at least Japan does make quality and that was what Cadillac was all about.

I still would have rather seen Hydramatic on them if nothing else....LoL

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 3:44 PM
hmmm. I like the paint - looks great. I was actually thinking going the power cote way with mine (big shock there). I will probably leave them as is and go bigger at some point so I can do larger brakes

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search