Hidden Treasure buried deep in the belly of the junk yard - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hidden Treasure buried deep in the belly of the junk yard
Monday, September 30, 2013 9:14 PM

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: Hidden Treasure buried deep in the belly of the junk yard
Monday, September 30, 2013 11:18 PM
Nice finds.I have yet to come across a set of those ebach springs.No problem though being I replaced my rears with TRW several years back.Once I get some projects done here I will be wrenching on my car asap.

Monday, September 30, 2013 11:38 PM
What are TRW springs? I never heard of them. These are actually my 2nd set of eibachs. I bought a set that are like brand new a month ago and now I happen to find these at that yard. The ones I bought were $75 and these from the yard cost me $40 lol. There was a group buy on v6z24.com 2 months ago for a run of eibachs but I misses in by a day and the seller would not let me in nor would eibach which I think is crappy business on eibachs part. Money is money and some companies forget about the little people.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 5:41 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:What are TRW springs? I never heard of them. These are actually my 2nd set of eibachs. I bought a set that are like brand new a month ago and now I happen to find these at that yard. The ones I bought were $75 and these from the yard cost me $40 lol. There was a group buy on v6z24.com 2 months ago for a run of eibachs but I misses in by a day and the seller would not let me in nor would eibach which I think is crappy business on eibachs part. Money is money and some companies forget about the little people.

TRW is basically factory replacement springs.

Great find on the Eibachs

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:15 AM
Great Score!

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:17 PM
Were these springs straight from a J? What was it?
Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:56 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:Were these springs straight from a J? What was it?

1988 z24

The following use the same springs.

1987-1994 CHEVROLET CAVALIER Z24
1987-1994 BUICK SKYLARK
1987 BUICK SOMERSET
1987-1994 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1987-1994 PONTIAC SUNBIRD
1987-1994 PONTIAC GRAND AM
1987-1994 CHEVROLET BERETTA
1987-1994 CHEVROLET CORSICA
1992-1994 OLDSMOBILE ACHIEVA

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:58 PM
I believe all jbodies were the same from 82-94. 92-94 the strut mount rotated but nothing changed parts wise.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:24 PM
Yeah TRW are spot on good products as for the springs.I chose to go new for the rear bc over say 20plus years they do lose there stoutness and when I did my full rear end resto work I did not slack off on any part of this work.To add to shiny factor I have new rear brakes,new wheel bearings,new whl cyldrs,new ebrake cables both sides to ebrake and drums.I just am working to finish this week some TO DO"S for my mother in law so I can finally install these part and not be commited to fixing,repairing,shining any body else's stuff for a touch to get my cars parts done then the front end is next.I did get a new stihl chainsaw today for FREE! That was my trade from the mother in law doing her house fixes and working on my nephews cars recently.No pics of new toy yet but it is super nice with a 18 inch bar and loads of safety features etc.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:33 PM
Ron Love wrote:Yeah TRW are spot on good products as for the springs.I chose to go new for the rear bc over say 20plus years they do lose there stoutness and when I did my full rear end resto work I did not slack off on any part of this work.To add to shiny factor I have new rear brakes,new wheel bearings,new whl cyldrs,new ebrake cables both sides to ebrake and drums.I just am working to finish this week some TO DO"S for my mother in law so I can finally install these part and not be commited to fixing,repairing,shining any body else's stuff for a touch to get my cars parts done then the front end is next.I did get a new stihl chainsaw today for FREE! That was my trade from the mother in law doing her house fixes and working on my nephews cars recently.No pics of new toy yet but it is super nice with a 18 inch bar and loads of safety features etc.

You need to put some disk brakes on that car lol. It's and easy sway and the maintance is so much easier. You could probably even swap to a 3rd gen drum which is slightly wider by a tiny bit but they only have like 4 parts for the 2003+ instead of a million springs and clips. I always wondered why it took 50years to come out with a super simple drum brake setup. 2003+ seriously only have a cylinder, 2 springs, 2 shoes, and a drum. That is how simple they are.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:10 AM
So how much of a drop do you get with those eibach springs?

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 5:10 AM
Ron is a Stock / Original/ Preserver, Rob. His is one example that I doubt will ever see something on it that didn't come from the dealers lot. That is not a bad thing though, as the years pass by there are less and less original ones to enjoy.

I have to admit myself as an old fogey I have grown up with rear brakes full of springs and all kinds of things that seemed to defy logic sometimes. Times do change and it really does make sence to create a drum setup far less complcated - perhaps to say goodby to to drums alltogether. Still....laughingly - at my old age it seems like I still need all that complicated stuff in there to stop safely. After all ...it has had to be in there all my life!!

I see a lot of such upgrades on the resto-mods , sometimes because the suspension/braking was so poor to begin with as well as the fact the original parts become all but impossible to find. I enjoy all kinds of wheels - new - old - and everything in between.

There is always something new to see and learn out there!! Hope that never changes

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:20 AM
I'd love to swap for disc brakes on the rear, but not until I need to get pads for my rears, and that could take a while.

Must be something about my driving style (I do my best to brake only in straight lines, not around turns), but I just simply don't tend to go through rear drum pads at all. I drove a Grand Am for over 120,000 miles and the rear pads were from the factory and still looked brand new.
Wednesday, October 02, 2013 10:35 PM
While I do like simpler things and the improvements stock in definitely my thing.And I already have all my parts laying in my tool room.I have dealt with rear drums for years on my mazda truck a 1987 I bought new.So understanding the springs and adjustments is really not hard especially after 26years of owning and doing all my own brake work!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search