87 Cavalier 2L Code 42 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
87 Cavalier 2L Code 42
Monday, October 07, 2013 4:14 PM
I have an 87 Chevy Cavalier with the 2L 4 cylinder and TBI.

The car won't idle properly, runs extremely rich (though it doesn't smoke), and has almost no power.

The car will drive, but it has almost no power, even at WOT. At WOT, it will suddenly surge with normal acceleration, but then it bogs down again. At first an Italian tuneup would "flush out" the problem and the car would drive normally, but it has gotten to the point that it is undriveable.

I used the jumper on the terminal under the dash and got a Code 42: "Electronic Spark Timing (EST) circuit - Check the wiring and connectors between the ignition module and the ECM. Replace the ignition module. Replace the ECM."

Where do I go from here? Where exactly is the ignition module?

Re: 87 Cavalier 2L Code 42
Monday, October 07, 2013 5:07 PM
Its on the right side under the distributor cap, it has two plugs going to it. take the cap off. make sure new one come with the gel to smear under it when replaced.

Monday, October 07, 2013 6:09 PM
My car doesn't have a distributor.
Monday, October 07, 2013 6:49 PM
Exactly right Alex. 87 and up went to distributorless-ness...LoL

I'm thinking you have a coil pack under the intake manifold. Betcha the module is built in that unit. there is also a crankshaft position sensor - should be near the coil pack - that might be giving you some grief. Also the back side of the OHV 4's are known to get very greasy since it is so hard to get back there to give a through cleaning when the valve cover starts leaking.

Looks like you'll need to be practicing some restraint at religion -loosing in the near future.....but do be persistant.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:51 AM
oops I have a 86, sorry I had no idea
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:35 PM
my 84 OHC is right under the distributor cap

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 6:01 PM
Yeah, Paul , my Chevy, Pontiac and even the old Ranger still sport the "Dizzys". I refuse to give them up ....not quite just yet.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search