Old school and new school improvements to the Wagon - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Old school and new school improvements to the Wagon
Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:06 PM
I put some smoked plastic Ventshades on my Wagon a while ago and I never really thought they looked quite right on it and I really wanted some old school stainless ones because they'd fit the car (and the era of the car) better.
I was browsing eBay as I often do a couple of weeks ago and lucked out and scored the stainless ventshades !

I think they go better with the chrome door handles, rocker moldings and window trim original to the car!
Also, I was looking to replace my old non-halogen headlamps with something brighter AND safer for my journeys at night, so I found some GE Super Bright halogens on eBay and they were an incredible improvement over the stockers !
I recalled back in the 80s when I owned a 1968 Corvair that I found some yellow glassed high beam headlamps (the Corvair had a four-light headlamp system like my '85 Cav Wagon) and they really improved my night vision when I had my brights on, so I wondered if I could search the internet for yellow glassed halogen headlamps for my wagon. I found a set of amber lensed headlamps (that were clearly stated for off-road use only), and I really didn't think the color would be beneficial in aiding my vision at night. I wanted yellow, but couldn't find any yellow glassed high beam headlamps. By accident, I found heavy duty yellow vinyl tint on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/330873930388?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
I had to grind the little glass aiming tits from my headlamp, (I never use those to aim my headlights anyway ! ), installed and heat shrunk the tint onto the headlight and, VIOLA ! yellow glassed, high beamed fog lights:

You can't tell that they aren't yellow glass !
The pictures really don't do the color of the headlamps justice - they are a brilliant yellow and really brighten up the road at night !!!
Don't know if they'll pass the Pa. State inspection, but if they don't, I'll just put the old non-halogen highbeams back in just for inspection.
I think they look GREAT (day AND night !), and they really make a seriously impressive improvement in night vision !
I don't want to go overboard in making improvement to my old girl as I prefer subtle and effective ~ I think both of these improvements fit the bill !

~ Mike ~

Re: Old school and new school improvements to the Wagon
Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:09 PM
Also installed a dual trumpet mini air horn on her as well ~ wow, do people move out of your way when you lay on that !!!

~ Mike ~

Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:29 PM
Where in pa are you?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:10 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Where in pa are you?

Near Pittsburgh.

~ Mike ~

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:19 PM
Time to move. All the cool people are on the east side of the state lol.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:41 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Time to move. All the cool people are on the east side of the state lol.

Yeah, you guys just keep telling yourself that..

~ Mike ~

Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:17 PM
Looks great!

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Friday, October 11, 2013 5:58 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Time to move. All the cool people are on the east side of the state lol.

ooh, I'm further east than you, I guess that means I'm just a bit cooler...so, so, so...
Friday, October 11, 2013 6:05 AM
WOW, Dave.....Your Wagon is really beautiful !

~ Mike ~

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:23 AM

lol.......but seriously.

Looks great man!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, October 11, 2013 3:30 PM
The first picture with the sunset on the windows and the chrome vent shades looks great. Tasteful upgrade.

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:22 PM
Car does look pretty tight with those mild upgrades.Nice touch

Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:35 AM
......just beaks my heart to know such a pretty, prestine wagon in this rare condition will one day be all weathered out like mine.

Very rare example - I so enjoy the photos when posted though

Upgrades are Spot on - keep up the great work!!

Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:55 PM
A better picture of the car (taken with an actual camera ~!):

Note the "adopt a highway" sign. (my family and I adopted al three roads surrounding my house ! )

~ Mike ~

Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:53 PM
Car looks sharp! I think those chrome visors really compliment the car. I was thinking of putting a 70's Cadillac horn on my blue vert. Those old Caddy horns were really loud.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search