Lights dont work! radio, horn cig lighter! help! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lights dont work! radio, horn cig lighter! help!
Monday, October 07, 2013 7:32 AM

I want to show updates and pic of my car on here, but I here again with problems. I even went to my dad that's a God to cars of Brooklyn and Queens NY and he's confused.

So here whats going on... Weeks ago just my radio stated to go off when I switched to reverse or hit the gas to hard, Then if I but my radio on when its night my lights when off. I would have to wiggle the wires under the hood to gets the lights to go on, but the radio would stay off, and not come back on. In the morning the car would be back to normal, till I hit the horn! then it would shut off!, Any way, nothing works now. radio, Horn Cig lighter, Lights high and low. inside lights too. but Blinkers work reverse light works. wipers work and ac.

What Ive done:
Got a new horn relay. its also for lights and Ect. that didnt work, took it back to the store.
Checked and replace all lights. nothing
Of course checked fuses. 20 times.even had other people check them even with a test light..
took out my radio and fuse because a guy said," is it a blue tooth?" I said yea. he said forget it! it messed up your car!" he said. 75 an hour to check everything, I said EAT POOP and die. Ill fix it my self. " but i didnt say poop"

Ok here is what I got in the car. Remote start, bluetooth radio. woofers, just alot of junk i dont really need. thats how I got it, had it for 9 months, this problem is new..it looks like ever wire has a fusable link, and its done right with care..I checked all grounds got the headlight dimmer switch in my hand right now. my dad said jump the light and see what happens. but these so many wires i don't want to...It takes 15 days to get a dimmer switch and I don't think that's the problem anyway. BTW battery is tight alternator. you name it its all new and maintained..

Please help. its been two weeks now. almost bought a 94 lt1 caprice but my heart is to attached to the little blue pain in my butt. you remember ( 86 2.0 four door under 70xxx mile second owner) please and thank you, I should of came here first. please and thanks for reading my rant,

Re: Lights dont work! radio, horn cig lighter! help!
Monday, October 07, 2013 7:58 AM
sorry i was up for 24 hrs working on it and hope you guys can under stand what I wrote.
Monday, October 07, 2013 8:24 AM
Sorry one more thing! my alarm just didnt go off when I opened the door. haha
Monday, October 07, 2013 2:21 PM
Carl-

I think I get what state of mind you were in. How old is the car alarm? The problems you describe seem to have one thing in common (at least to me) they are place where you might splice in a car alarm. I had one fail and all sorts of wierdness started. I would pull up to an intersection and my power doors would lock and unlock by themselves. Depends on the model and how it is hooked up as far as what could go wrong.

Monday, October 07, 2013 2:26 PM
Hay Paul, my doors do lock and unlock. I dont know how old the alarm is tho. maybe I should just bring it to an alarm place. I did forget to say it locks and unlocks. thanks.
Monday, October 07, 2013 11:33 PM
I would suggest something but a long 14hr day says thinking it out of order right now.I will reread and maybe offer some suggestions later.Tired!

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:49 AM
Quick sum up. my horn, radio, headlights. and cigarette lighter dont work.
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:56 PM
ok, you have two separate circuits involved. I am thinking ground issue, but lets look at the headlights first.

Headlights are separate from the rest. If you have a service manual you can chase each one of your issues. Do the headlights work at all or intermittently? Do they work in high or low or not at all?

For example if one light does not work in both high and low, check the ground wiring. If the lights work in either high or low (both), check the headlight dimmer switch.

For the lights, lighter, and horn... If they all do not work, check G200 (ground on rh side of IP cluster support bracket). Does the clock work? If it does, then G200 is not the problem.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:54 AM
I checked all that stuff out. I went to a few places and they said its not worth it. thanks anyway. over and out!
Sunday, October 13, 2013 11:45 AM
The guy that did my exhaust told me he remembered one of my fusible links to my starter was taped up. So I cut the link and jumped it and it worked! all the lights went on inside and out. " even brighter then ever." but it was 3am and now its Sunday. Monday ill figure what after market size link fuse i'll need.

I can read the wire diagram to my car like a pro now, but every wire has been cut and spliced with fuses taped up and hidden like crazy with the key less entry and alarm. I have remote start also so I think I should see if an alarm place that can see why I have one of my starter links taped up and a black wire just hanging out there.

So I got this now and very happy. Thanks.
Sunday, October 13, 2013 10:10 PM
Make sure you use the EXACT same amp fuseable link when replacing! Auto zone sells them for sure and I have replaced one of mine and cleaned mine up when I did some restoration work on my entire engine and made a copper bar to move some of the connections to the starter further from the exhaust.If you want a pic I can track it down and show you my altered setup to protect it better from the heat.Also covering each wire with conduit or (loom) work good to protect the wiring as well(I did) on all the wires.R

Sunday, October 13, 2013 10:25 PM
Here is how I routed things compared to the oem factory setup originally.I just cut and bent a copper bar and drilled two holes and attached to original post and then used a zinc plated bolt and nut,washers to attach the wiring that would have gone to the original post further out for protection.This is a MUST in my opinion to reduce the heat wearing on the wiring.I do have a 2.0 as well.

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:53 PM
Damn Ron that's clean. really smart idea. dont mind if i do steal your setup.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search