84 Skyhawk T-Type block heater - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 Skyhawk T-Type block heater
Monday, October 21, 2013 7:43 AM
I am currently rebuilding the engine on my 84 Skyhawk T-type and noticed that it has a block heater. Anyone heard of this? Should I put it back in or cover the hole with a freeze plug? Maybe it was sold in one of the northern states or is this factory on all Skyhawks? Anyone know production numbers on this car? Cant find much info.

Re: 84 Skyhawk T-Type block heater
Monday, October 21, 2013 1:12 PM
The block heater was an option for those in colder climates. I've heard of people from Buffalo without those heaters that would have to wake up a few times a night to start their cars.

Sorry I'm not smart enough to know the best way to bypass that heater for you, but there are plenty of better brains here that will tell you soon I'm sure.

Good to see another Hawk, I think that brings us up to three!
Monday, October 21, 2013 2:13 PM
My 84 came with the RPO K05 Block Heater as well. I had heard it was packaged as part of the RPO LA5 Turbo Engine. Mine was a relatively higher optioned LE model. I had no Cruise Control, Power Door Locks, Trunk Pop, Power Seats, Power Mirrors, or locking gas cap on mine when delivered.

The option was deleted when I grenaded my original block

I would leave it - it makes a nice conversation starter.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:39 AM
I purchased a re-manned short block off of E-bay and they put a freeze plug in the space where the block heater goes. I will just pull the freeze plug and re-install the block heater. Was there anything special with the LA5 block compared to a regular one besides the threaded hole for the turbo oil return line? The company I bought the block from said that was the only difference. I will post some pics of the car soon. I have to get the car in the garage to put the drivetrain back in. Got down to 26 degrees last night. To cold to work outside. Sucks
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:32 PM
I don't think the block was different unless manual or auto. The LA5 (J) had a stronger bottom end over the N/A 1.8 not sure of code(O).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search