Easy way to Filter Antifreeze - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Easy way to Filter Antifreeze
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:09 PM
Things are slow these days here on J-Body. I have been having a terrible string of drama regarding my old Ranger. Simply replacing the water outlet has turned into quite the journey for yours truly. The Outlet purchased from Autozone turned out to be machined wrong on the inside resulting in the T-Stat not doing it's job - I only learned this fact after replacing the T-Stat from AutoZone with no result - to then going to Napa and receiving a proper Water Outlet machined correctly on the inside.......but alas the bolt holes on the outside were machined wrong on that one. All of this has had me repeatedly draining the Antifreeze and removing the Water Outlet ( AKA T-Stat housing) and reinstalling.
Which brings me to my Country Bumpkin do-it-yourself antifreeze filteration unit. I found an old busted drip coffee maker and with a few coffee filters effectively cleaned up the good antifreeze I've been draining out and saved me from having to running out to buy more. I hope no one has to endure repeatedly draing their coolant but here is an idea if you ever hit that rut in the road.

Re: Easy way to Filter Antifreeze
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:25 PM
Now I understand trying to save a few bucks and time.However if the coolant once drained was less than 3yrs old and clean to the eye you could simply reuse.I personally would cough up the 9.00 a gallon for the walmart super tech normal GREEN and not think twice about saving old used coolant.Now if the coolant was less than a year old I would probably reuse it but,then you have to consider the dilution factor because you normally spill or lose some even draining super cleaneeee style(my terms of course).I am going to be doing a job next week on my wifes 04 accord her coolant about a yr old but the thermostat housing(plastic) is leaking and just replacing it.In short I am going to use NEW coolant to get my preferred ratio of say -30 way off for NC but has a higher temp range and just know that the coolant is brand new uncontaminated from exposure to the air,and even my drain trays or containers.I know things have been slow here and since I am dialed in not worn out felt like writing some thoughts on the subject.Btw the wifes car coolant is about a year old and the Honda thermostat housing is huge and has a big C clip to lock in place and yeah the hose connects with a normal clamp.Good thing is it only dripped like one day but the residue is still there fresh each week just not a loss in the system or other issue to add till I fix this part(cheap plastic crap) instead of a normal metal housing.The part alone cost 50.00 with the thermostat made into it.Weird yes and soon I will post on upgrades to my own car as I start to fix or restore the rear end components to liven up the place with some new work.I just lately have finished my TO DO'S for several big projects and it should take me say two days to do what I have planned and then the front end will start after jan 2014 with my inspection due then back on the stands for that fun.This will focus on my axles,struts,and full suspension update.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:32 AM
Yeah, this antifreeze isn't even 6 months old and I've had to drain it 3 times already and will again if I can get a part that fits.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:48 AM
Just remember to never ever use that to make coffee again unless you're Herman Munster and don't mind a little coolant in your coffee every now and then .

And here's some filters you can use on the cars to filter Antifreeze/coolant.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:51 PM
Yeah Spike.....looks like I'm making some "Zombie" Drinks for Halloween!!

Friday, November 01, 2013 6:01 AM
Anytime I remove antifreeze from my street drivers I save it. I bring it up to camp in Vermont where we have 4 to 6 mud trucks. These are mostly beat $400 4x4s. I strain and reuse antifreeze with a clean white cloth. Works pretty good for beater trucks. We always have about 4-5 gallons with us on the trail.

This is my current beater mud truck (90 Bronco). 3rd Bronco since 1999. Got it for $300 in 2009 and paid $150 more for the tires and rims.

This is what it replaced. 89 Bronco that I ran out of oil. Crushed oil pan.
On it's way to scrap.

Monday, November 04, 2013 5:55 PM
Orlen-

Good tip. I had to do this a few times when chasing optispark troubles on my Camaro. I usually just by the wal-mart premix now. Saves mixing with distilled water... I am short on time now.

I hear you on getting the wrong parts for the job. YOU KNOW the dramam I have been through this past year.

I will post my axle pics when I start that job. Just getting back from Florida tonight...

Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:44 PM
I have acquired a small surplus at work so I converted my S10 over to Toyota long life red coolant. I noticed that my temp gauge used to run about 210-220 when I used the green. With the red it runs no hotter than 200 now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search