DIY Hood Insulator for my 84 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DIY Hood Insulator for my 84
Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:14 PM
Ok, I have given up trying to find a replacement hood insulator. I am thinking of making my own. Any ideas for cheap material. I was thinking of using material like they make sunshades out of, the reflective silver stuff. Any ideas where I can get some the right size? Maybe like a heating and cooling company?

Roughly 48"x32"...

Re: DIY Hood Insulator for my 84
Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:12 PM
Paul,

I will have to take and post a picture of Tom Stroup's 84 Sunbird hood. He did a custom paint job on the inside of his hood, We got the hood and an entire 84 Sunbird when we were at a car show in Warren at a Flea Market. We went inside to check out a die cast car booth and we asked the owner if he had any Cavalier Die cast cars for sale, as we were being smart asses and he said, "No, but I have a real Sunbird for sale." We went out to see it and I agreed upon the price and we went later that week and picked up the car. It was a beat up 84 in the same paint scheme as yours, but the hood was pristine, so since Tom's had been damaged in an accident before he bought it and when he went to use the hood the insulator was not any good, so he just pitched it. You would like how he painted it. We ended up getting a lot of useful parts off of it. We like to do that since Tom's good at parting out the cars. We've got a pretty good arrangement going and I won't really get into it, but it benefits both of us. Physically, I can't wrench any more, Tom can, so he does the wrenchin' and I watch!

I removed the hood insulator from my hood, and I now have put some performance decals on the inside of my hood. I have the only Yenko Motor Sports Cavalier in existence, the Yenko sticker on my hood says so...LOL

Since you're in our area, we'd sure like to do a meet and greet. Maybe you can join us at a USMA or another car show. We have a good time, and I'd like to invite you to come and meet us.
Monday, April 15, 2013 4:02 AM
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Univ/Dynamat/Hood_Insulation/DMT11905.html?apwcid=productads

That is what I did but I took it of. I hate under hood insulation. Get generic dynomat off ebay for $10. Cost me $150 to do my entire car from firewall to taillights. Floor, trunk sides, doors, roof everything!

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, April 15, 2013 10:05 AM
Hey Walter-

I am in for the meet up, just won't have my Sunbird out for a bit. Are you guys going to the Bearing Burners show on the 5th at the Tech Center?

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:05 AM
Rob-

The link says $100. Is it $100 or $10?

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:41 PM
]NOS reproduct[ make a real nice hood insulator.
It look like brand new.
They send me anought material to make 2 hoods.
weeb site ; www.nosreproductions.com
They send me the material in 2 days.
58.00 $
Alain
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:51 AM
The link was $88 dollars that is why I said to get the generic stuff off ebay its a lot cheaper and same quality.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:52 AM
Thanks for the clarification Rob.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:56 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bull-Dog-Barrier-Sound-Deadener-Deadening-Mat-15ftx19-/110580025440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bf154860
That is what I used but my roll was 36inx20ft for the same price. Just look up car deadner. They are almost all the same just rebranded. Make sure you get the wooden roller. It make life so much easier.

Look for this on the product:
Aluminum coated
Rubber
Adhesive

You will be good to go.

Also there are different thicknesses but I would not be to concerned with that. You do not have $100,000 that has zero cabin noise.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:32 AM
Paul wrote:

I am in for the meet up, just won't have my Sunbird out for a bit. Are you guys going to the Bearing Burners show on the 5th at the Tech Center?

Unfortunately that day I'm working playing a concert with the Grosse Pointe Symphony, so I'll miss the Bearing Burners show. I've wanted to attend, but usually the Symphony has a concert around the time of the show, or the weather is crummy.

I'm in the same boat as you, I've not gotten my car out yet, and I'm going nuts! I went into my garage on Sunday the 7th of April to get a chair out of the trunk to take with me for a USMA members meeting, I hit the trunk button on my key fob, and the battery's dead, so a call to Hagerty is needed to jump me and get my car going. I'm hoping to get out to Dooley's just as soon as we get a decent Sunday afternoon...Maybe you can meet us there?

Walt
Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:40 AM
Walt-

Let me know when you guys are going to Dooley's. I will bring the Camaro if the Sunbird is not together yet. I am waiting on a PS hose then I should be able to get the head back on .

I think it would be cool to get a pick of our three "J" cars somewhere - we will have to figure that out. Three convertible first gen J-cars is not something you see every day

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:08 PM
Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:46 PM
Honestly if you want a cleaner look, lighter, easier to clean, and overall better, I would just use a dynomat or generic dynomat.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search