Wanted 84 cavi 4 cyl 4 speed ecm - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wanted 84 cavi 4 cyl 4 speed ecm
Saturday, November 30, 2013 1:30 PM
While checking my code I got a zap when I shorted the diag connector and now the check engine light doesn't come on and the car won't start.. so I guess the ecm is fried.,. checked the ecm fuses they are fine.

Re: Wanted 84 cavi 4 cyl 4 speed ecm
Sunday, December 01, 2013 12:59 AM
I have doubts that your ecm is done.The ecm's generally do not go bad on the 1st gens.Being it want start you need to check your fuseable links right at the starter.There are several and these can get burned out to prevent damage!If you find one fried or let's say melted is the correct term you just replace it with the same amp/watt as the original.I got in really late and can pop a pic later showing how I cleaned up my wiring to the starter and so forth.I am pretty tired so maybe sunday I can pop a pic of area to the starter showing where all the links are but,you will have to dig thru these to visually check.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 1:05 AM
ok found one pic quick and you can see where I added a bus bar (copper) to move the wiring further away from the exhaust manifold.I can tell you auto zone def sells the fuseable links.You will have to remove the conduit/loom to expose the links and verify one did not get too hot and melt.As said I am wore out long day trucking as I drive a big truck but home daily.Ok If you need more guidance I can show a specific picture of a link so you understand what to check and or look for.The general idea with these links is to prevent damage to the electrical system being they are tied to the starter via gms design.As long as none of the normal fuses in your box on the lower left below the steering wheel blew.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 4:43 AM
naaa it turns over fine, I had it running no more than 2 min before,. it turns over just won't fire, when I jumped the terminals, it was a pretty good spark, It doesn't take much static electricity for fry one, the fact I have no check engine light now, tells me its done. biding on one on ebay, remanned gm unit.
Sunday, December 01, 2013 7:38 AM
You can use this site to check the fit of the ecm. There should be a code printed on the box or chip that will tell you exactly what cars the ecm will fit.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/

Sunday, December 01, 2013 8:31 AM
fixed it, I did some troubleshooting and after finding no power to the ECM and no power to the ecm fi inj fuse either I got to looking in the engine compartment and found a single wire connector I had unplugged yesterday thinking it was the EST connector and wasn't I guess I didn't have it plugged in good enough and after I pressure washed the engine compartment it came apart, once I snapped it back together all was right with the cavi
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search