Difference between OHC and OHV ECM's - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Difference between OHC and OHV ECM's
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 6:35 PM
Thought I'd drop a couple of photos. These are of the ECM's I have stashed away for the Chevy and Pontiac. The one with the Pins goes to the Pontiac with the 1.8 OHC while the one with the Circuit Board plug in goes to the Chevy 2.0 OHV. Another one of GMC's wonderful duplications of design. Well....on the bright side you'll never have to worry of plugging in the wrong ECM and messing anything up!!

I did get the spare Brazil engine/transaxle rolled out today (actually got it on wheels now!!). Got it hoisted up in the air and was able to drain out the old oil and replaced the busted filter and oil with the leftovers from my recent oil change on the Pontiac. Aftwards I got it resettled on the platform I built for it. pulled the plugs and shot some oil in the cylinders. Pulled the Valve Cover. Hooked the Pontiac Battery up and cranked the engine over till I saw oil flowing from the camshaft. Hope to do this every Spring and Fall now to keep the spare in good condition!!

Hopefully - I'll keep an engine ready to use I'll never have a need for...LoL

I guess I'll be on the hunt for a good engine the Chevy down the road.

Re: Difference between OHC and OHV ECM's
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:21 PM
My 2.0 ecm for my 84 is the pin type..
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 10:39 PM
You need to stop doing threads making me wonder?Just kidding but I did check my spare 85 ecm with the 4spd option and it is a pin hook up as well.I need to get me a hoist,engine stand for my spare as I did not spend the cash a couple weeks back to buy either.I however did by a rolling tool box.This came from napa and the homack brand.I have just needed a roller to lay and or carry tools I take out to the garage since I do not want my main box in the shop.I know this sounds crazy but after so long I go to my box in the house more and easier to carry what I need to the garage and done.I paid 275.00 for it and I searched to find the box that fit my use and cost and even sears was cough a touch out of orbit on price.I did not want a harbor freight version and so far happy.This unit has ball bearing trays and a lower tray that is open and the do keep some items in it.I guess my spare engine is ok as is but really will pony up for a stand I guess next year as I do need a hoist/stand really.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 7:53 AM
I have the harbor freight version and its a nice, box, very comparable to to any other box out there, sears has gone to @!#$ on their boxes, its like they are making em out of tin foil, and I'm I'm gonna wind up getting some thing made in china, I might as well pay the lowest price for it and not be paying for a name. I have had h/f's big 42 inch box for years now and its held up great, and couldn't bring myself to pay more for something made in the same place.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 12:30 PM
Sweet Tool Chest!!

My Fav Color to Boot!! Does it come with some of that "Napa Know How"?

Sorry for the confusion - the ECM's are bass ackwards. The Pin type is Chevy and vice versa.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 2:32 PM
lol
Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:02 PM
2.0 ecm for 2nd gens is pins

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:27 PM
No problemo orlen on the backwards thing.As for the napa know how?Umm I think it is more like rons know what to do.My humor but this box is small enough to cart around the garage and not eat up space.I hope this week coming up provided dry weather roll sunny out for the yearly inspection then I can finally do work from uh the 1st of the year already.Seems everytime I want to do it things like fix two nephews cars,do work for my mother in law and or my routine work here at home.Just last week I fix my nephews 98 with a evap code,rotate tires and get this add a full quart of oil to his car that just had a oil change by Honda!!! The royally $&^%* up'd and yes my sister in law took the car to them and it has been straightened out with them and I did take pics of the oil on the stick before checking and after to prove it was LOW! Never ending but that is why I take care of the cars.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search