fuel pump diagnosis - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fuel pump diagnosis
Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:29 AM
i think i have a bad fuel pump on my 86 cav conv. with the 2.8 v6. hers the story. the car always fired up on the on the first turn of the key, then a couple of weeks ago it would start rigth up then die immiediatly. this would happen 2-3 times and then it would stay running a little rough at first but then smooth out and then run fine. now the car will crank but will not fire. i do not hear the fuel pump run when i turn the key like i alwas did before. another thing that comes to mind is i was hearing a faint noise comming from somewhere in the back seat/trunk area when the car was running. it sounded like the covertable top motor was running but now i am thinking it was the fuel pump telling me it was going bad and it just did not dawn on me. i do have spark and the fuel filter is less than a year old. i need a step by step procedure to make sure its the pump. i dont want to drop the tank only to find out it was a fuse or relay or something like that. i cant find the fuse and dont know where the relay is or how to test it. i know some cars have a auto safety shut off that cuts power to the fuel pump in case of a crash so the car doesnt catch fire. i am not looking forward to dropping the tank so i would like to make positively sure its the pump before i do so. any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Re: fuel pump diagnosis
Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:57 PM
John-

I will take a pic of the service manual diagnosis for my 84 if you would like...

Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:03 PM
This might help it is from the 85 Cimarron Factory manual.......Hope you can read it.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 8:36 PM
Those are pretty close to the ones I have

Saturday, July 13, 2013 11:55 PM
Do a fuel psi check on the scrader valve.IF you can hear the pump when the key is just ON not running and reading is below spec 40.5-47psi.Keep in mind the ecm will kick on pump sending the pulse and with in 2seconds cut it off however the reading should be 34-37psi on the rail.Hope not to confuse you just in case the reading goes higher as above then drops to the lower # below.The fuel pump relay is either on fender on firewall I would have to dig out my manuals to be specific.I am tired so I tried to get this in some kind of order. I know my pump went a couple of days hard starts,and then coughing while rolling and then just died.If it is the original odds are the pump is going bad in thought.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:35 AM
thanks for the schematics 84conv. my manual is a little convoluted, it refers you back and forth between fuel and electrical sections and can get a little confusing. checked fuel pressure, i have none. will go through elctrical today but i dont think i will find any issues. will post later with results.
Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:20 PM
out with the old, in with the new and back on the road!! my wife and i replaced the fuel pump today and now she is purring like a kitten. my wife that is, the cars running pretty good too!! she was a lot of help today and i could not of done it by myself. if you find a good woman, hold on to her, there hard to find. we used a friends transfer pump to drain the tank and it worked like a charm. i"m going to get one for myself.the whole job took us about 4-5 hours but we took a few smoke breaks and had lunch so i think we did pretty good. all in all a great day. heres a few pics

note fire extinguishers in background.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:02 PM
Wonderful Job and Great Teamwork!!

One of the advantages of owning a 1st Gen J......Cheap Fuel Pumps!!

I'm guessing the Smoke Breaks were successful as well - away from the project since nothing seems to be charred

Just curious....I replaced mine many years ago and had a major fit with the replacement after market O-Ring that fits between the tank and the knock-off ring. Are they any better these days??

Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:45 PM
Nice glad it is fixed.Btw I thought all day and I am certain the fuel pump relay is behind the battery with out cheating to check my book.Cool

Monday, July 15, 2013 9:40 AM
Thought the fuel pump relay was on right at the fender - tucked up near the cowl on the passenger side. Very near the passenger side hood hinge area.

Monday, July 15, 2013 4:05 PM
orlen. your right about the fuel pumps being cheap. if you order parts online from advance and pickem up at the store you get a great discount. i bought the pump, pump screen, locking ring and fuel filter all for 80.00 anew o-ring came with the pump and locking ring and matched the original perfectly. as for those relays, on my 2.8 the one for pump is on the firewall drivers side . the one on the fender next to the battery is for the radiator fan

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:06 PM
This story has been a timely reminder for me. Currently in the process of stripping down a donor, and this gave me that urge to drop the tank and salvage the fuel gauge sender and piping/wiring. Might not be in the best shape but might be something to get me by sometime.

Would have not given this a thought and would have left this behind....

Have already salvaged the entire wiring harness under the hood , so I'm pretty sure I've got that relay.....where ever it was...

Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:56 AM
Just a note , My 84 has the a/c relay and the f/p relay on the same bracket as the map sensor up on the passenger cowl near the hood hinge. A/C relay is the one towards the front and the f/p relay is the one facing the back and are interchangeable, so you can use the A/C relay to test the fuel system if you need to or try and get you home.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 9:45 AM
Just a note , My 84 has the a/c relay and the f/p relay on the same bracket as the map sensor up on the passenger cowl near the hood hinge. A/C relay is the one towards the front and the f/p relay is the one facing the back and are interchangeable, so you can use the A/C relay to test the fuel system if you need to or try and get you home.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search