alternator screech! help, I need heat! Im almost done with her. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
alternator screech! help, I need heat! Im almost done with her.
Friday, December 13, 2013 9:13 AM
My 86 cavalier sedan 2.0fI TBI.

I looked around and found out the more lode the harder it is for the belt to turn the alternator pulley. when the belt screeches the alternator stops charging, and my battery drops to 12.V.

What I will do tonight:
-- Belt tensioned corrected.
-- Sand down the pulley in case its glazed over.
-- Will pick up a new belt. Any help with a part number for my belt?

I'm more worried how I rewired the alternator:
-- I rewired the car. took off all after market accessories, like. the remote start. key-less entry. crazy alarm. this is how I rewired my alternator. It didn't come like this but , I am use-to older G.M's . I really don't remember how it was before. I have the book and still cant figure it out. I need a picture for "DUMMIES". hope this is still ok? advise needed please!

Re: alternator screech! help, I need heat! Im almost done with her.
Friday, December 13, 2013 9:57 PM
Let me get a pic of mine before you make any goofs.That tab on the top has a white plastic plug that goes into it.You can buy these all day long at auto zone and these are for GM cars.The post with the nut is def positive as said.I just got in doors and a touch late.If I do not get the pic tonight I will pop one sat ok.Ron

Friday, December 13, 2013 10:45 PM
Ok here are some Quick shots of said alternator as oem spec'd.Notice the ground wire on top of alternator,and the white plug is a must the red HOT is on top from the side mount as in the pic and the white as a ground and the obvious hot red cable for the starter idk thinking quick bare with me.My alter is a reman from auto zone from say 98/99 idk.The plug was replaced bc mine was loose feeling and say for 7 bux a new plug if yours is junky I would replace it.Now if your alternator is dropping back in voltage it would make believe your grounds are shoddy,or weak alternator and a true bench test will show that,or or battery connections.keep in mind the infamous ground cable below the battery tray to the block as well on recall.I am trying to get this done fast and not in any fancy order.You asked so being a stock owner and oem peep threw some pics of said exactness to you.

Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:07 AM
okay, I see something. thanks so much.
Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:02 PM
wow - another difference. Mine just has the red wire and the black plug in.

Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:03 PM
No problem just want to make sure you get it set right to avoid issues like burning up a alternator or battery.R

Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:54 AM
just a note, once a v belt slips and starts squealing, its done for. It glazes the surface of the belt and its never the same.
Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:27 AM
The OHV Design places the Alternator right over the Exhaust Man. where it can suck in the extra hot air - especially during the hot summer months.

I've had a couple take a crap on me on this engine, but at least they are super easy to replace!! Can't complain about that

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search