My new ride..(Warning sexy wagon content) - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My new ride..(Warning sexy wagon content)
Friday, November 29, 2013 6:59 PM
Picked it up today on a trade, guys i got it from had some hamfisted mechanic replace almost ever sensor in the can, when I got there it wouldn't stay running after I started it dead cold, guy said "Ohh it runs fine once it warms up", so I kept it running, it got warmed up and it still wanted to die, so i did some quick checks and it had some broken vac hoses , so i cut the washer hose and made some spliced, and plugged the o 2 sensor back in and it would stay running, not really well, but I figured I could get it from Norfolk to Richmond and then look it over tomorrow. it hucked and bucks in first and when ever you slowed down, but once you got it going out on the interstate it ran pretty well, the old 2.0 4 speed manual ran out pretty good at 70mph, then I got a bag wheel balance problem so I kept it about 70-73, , got it home and looked it over and I could see on the back of the throttle body the think had gommed up screws holding the tps sensor and I seen it was all over to one side so I'm sure that's out of adjustment giving me the bucking on throttle tip in,..
has 127k on it , @!#$s good, but I figure its gonna need a clutch soon, needs some attention under the dash cause I seen tonight ther eis a pile of plugs that are disconnected. this is all I have now, but I'll post more tomorrow.

Re: My new ride..(Warning sexy wagon content)
Friday, November 29, 2013 7:55 PM
Is that a 1st gen wagon with SRT wheels and a 3rd gen shifter?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, November 29, 2013 9:29 PM
Wow now you have a super rare ride in a degree.I have never seen a 4spd manual wagon even on my last several years of junkyarding.Rob that is a 1st gen shift knob.Look at the plastic sleeve below the knob that is pulled up for reverse only.I have a 85 cav type 10 with the 2.0 and if you have more issues or questions just ask.My car is soley stock and can assist in any area of specifics of things not hooked up,and show picks if needed.Looks pretty tight and welcome to the board!I will not ramble any further aside from this board has a lot of good info and members who love our first gens 100%.So thanks for showing and any questions just ask.Btw my car is also a 4spd manual as well.

Friday, November 29, 2013 9:46 PM
I thought 3rd gens were the only ones to have the plastic sleeve on the shifter? My 2nd gen didn't have one. It's only a leather knob.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, November 29, 2013 10:07 PM
Love the wagon, hate the rims.....it looks like it's being "doinked"....

I'd hit it with slightly smaller tires, with either simple rims or even painted steelies...

It's hard to take the rims seriously on a box shaped car with a roof rack.......

Otherwise,,love the ride.....

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:23 AM
stock steelies came with it minus tires in the back, complete with wire hubcaps, but I am having a tough time finding some American 13 inch tires, I really don't want any Chinese crap on my car. I was looking over at the gm heritage center due tot he fact every car I get I research the @!#$ out of em..lol. Anyway I came to find out the 4 speeds are overdrive in 4th and the 5 speed are double overdrive, I was figuring 1 to 1 in forth like most other 4 speeds. Also found out they made a notchback coupe with an option code zj6 and the code refers to a maximum efficiency equipment package, Looks to me its just a lower final drive gear in the axle and a shift light. epa website shoes it got up to 33 mpg on the highway, where as the reguler 4 speed coupe and wagon got about 30.
Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:56 AM
Welcome Aboard!!

Very nice wagon! Clean - Straight -and Very Unusual with the 4 speed!

Even though it is an antique , if you are like me - I still use mine as Wagon - hauling all kinds of whatever all the time. This bodystyle is so very handy!!

Biggest issue with these cars is spares are drying up. Examples in the salvage yards are drying up even thought these were the most popular cars in their day. Scrap is worth good cash and times are hard so people are sending them to the shredder and the metal is bound for China. So find what you can and fill up the Basement or Attic or Garage....LoL

Noticing the Iron Manifold and Steel Valve Cover I'm gonna guess this to be an '85. The Power Steering Pump Resevoir on the firewall is notworthy as well - used on the earlier OHV types. Those OHV engines are reliable as hell too!

Ya just gotta Love the Alternator sitting proudly up on top - so easy to get to and service when you need to. I'll warn you it does sit right on top of the Exhaust Manifold and sucks in all that hot air - especially in the summer. Eventually it does take its toll, although these alternators are very affordable like everything else on the car.

Just my 2 cents worth about the Chinese Tires - Don't let the "Made in China" drag you too far down. Everything comes from there these days......(and will contue to)including a vast majority of the replacement parts you'll have to put on your Wagon as time goes by. Unfortunately it is just a sign of the times. I've got a Chinese Clutch in my old '86 Ranger and even though I ain't happy about it, at least it keeps the wheels rollin' Even a lot of domestic parts and supplies contain chinese sub assemblies so it is all but impossible to know if anything short of NOS is entirely USA.

There are a huge selection of 13" 14'' 15" and 16" Factory Wheels to pick from along with the exploding aftermarket choices as well. Everyone has their own favorites and I personally enjoy seeing everyones variety on here!! There are a lot of 13" tire choices on EBay if you are interested.

Right now yours reminds me of a miniture Pimped out Caprice Wagon!

Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:15 AM
you where close ,its was born on 06/84, I was still in middle school..lol
Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:47 PM

Need to clean the interior, but I gotta get the new ecm and get it running first.

Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:24 PM
I like the SRT rims on there.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 4:45 AM
well they re going away, I ordered 4 brand new 13 inch tires for the stock rims. and these are going on craigslist and outta my sight..

Sunday, December 01, 2013 8:11 AM
Like the car. These little wagons are quickly disappearing from the streets of America. That interior is just like the 84 sedan parts car that I stripped and junked last spring. I saved some interior trim parts including the front seats and seat belts. I am saving the ecm for a spare for my cars. If you need anything let me know, I might have it.

I like these rims. Factory option P195 70 13 inch rims.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 8:33 AM
Nice My interior is pretty mint other than some fraying around the outer edge of the drivers seat and worn foam and the cracked shiftknob, but I found a new NOS knob on fleabay and ordered it for 24 bucks
but I'm gonna look for some seats at the junkyard I can upgrade.
Sunday, December 01, 2013 9:57 AM
Personally I would have kept those wheels. If looks pretty slick with them. I would also keep the bumper sticker.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 1:30 PM
Definitely keep the sticker!

Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:37 PM
yea that's my sticker, its actually a magnet .
Sunday, December 01, 2013 5:44 PM
That right there is my wet dream. ..minus an mp62 eco. Awesome sticker magnet btw.

Monday, December 02, 2013 6:30 PM
I love it. Same shifter as my 84 - 4-speed. It looks odd seeing it in another car.

clean, clean. What ecm do you need? I may have one 6430?

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 3:30 AM
Mine is fine, I diagnosed it down to a disconnected wire in the engine compartment after testing and finding no power going to the ecm and no power to the ecm fuse.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 2:54 PM
well I've been messing with this thing for a week now, each time it gets a little closer to being right, I tried to set the tps sensor they had installed but no joy, couldn't get anything from it, so I robbed one from the junkyard for a 2.8, installed that and set it, well it was better, but still something wasn't quite right,it still stumbled and carried on, so i replaced the plug wires and plugs today and they helped but it was still there, next I had ordered a new tps from rock auto and it showed up today so I installed it and set it, before I was still having problems with the idle creeping up and then it wouldn't come back down, I was hoping the new tps would fix it seeing as how I robbed a good used iac valve also and installed that with no change really. but after installing the new tps , it seems to have solved it for the most part, I still suspect the fuel pressure is low, guy said he installed a new injector, but the spray pattern looked kinda heavy so I robbed a good almost new looking injector from a citation in the yard with a 2.5, installed it the other day and it looked the same so I have a feeling the pump is either weak or the hose inside the tank might have a split. so I ordered a new a/c delco pump kit with the harness and strainer and a fitting for the banjo bolt so I can check the pressure , should be here next week and we will know the outcome.Fixing to post a vid, It still sounds like it has a miss at idle.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:34 PM
Little vid of the miss at idle.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:43 PM
Replacing Fuel Pump is a good idea even if it doesn't improve your symptoms - especially considering the low cost of these Pumps compared to modern applications. May save you being stranded - price of the Pump will save you possibly a Tow Bill.

Friday, December 06, 2013 5:10 AM
After thinking about how it runs and the problems I had with timing it the other day I'm almost convinced its got a jumped timing chain, explains alot of @!#$ going on with it.
Friday, December 06, 2013 10:24 PM
Well I should have shot a vid of sunny tonight.I have not ran my car in months and stays in my garage 24/7.I know mine runs pretty good,but takes a few times to start and have removed my distributor on a resto job for the intake wayyy back.I timed the car several times to get it dialed in with the connector on the strut tower undone and with it hooked up.Just double checking.My chain was done after 100k but now over 205k.My several start thing is more fpr related as I did not replace the spring inside just my gasket.My IAC was cleaned and reinstalled.Anyway My fuel gauge was acting kooky and just know it's the sending unit sticking or dirty from not being run.I may just drop my tank and do a new fuel pump and clean my sender or rather replace it as it never has been touched.I have replaced the fp back in 99.I started it tonight bc I have a safety inspection due in jan but want to get it done next wk if dry outside and then do some restoration work on my rear and do the fuel tank stuff (all at once) then worry with the fpr and I do have a new injector.I doubt this will help more of a story and I probably need to update my chain as just the miles on it.Tired busy afternoon doing car stuff and done.

Saturday, December 07, 2013 6:18 AM
well I timed it the other day , and it was showing way advanced , so i set it back to 6* and the car was undriveable, its was a dog, and with the funny exhaust sound, I and pretty sure the valve timing is off . i ordered a new timing set, gaskets and a new tensioner. I'll tear into it next weekend. fuel pump and pressure adapters should be here too, can't wait to see what the pressure is before I replace the pump.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search