My new ride..(Warning sexy wagon content) - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My new ride..(Warning sexy wagon content)
Saturday, December 07, 2013 7:32 AM
Nice wagon - I saw it on Facebook already !
I think you may have a problem with your distributor or coil,. That miss sounds "spark related" to me. These Cavaliers of this vintage had a kind of screwy electronic ignitioned distributor that ages and kinda falls apart in the (armature ?) under the rotor.
I had to take mine out and clean all of the unwound insulation and reseal it. I changed ALL of my emission components (egr valve, o2 sensor, map sensor, throttle position switch, temp sensors, IAC valve ), and I still have an uneven idle at times. It isn't a miss like yours appears to be. I really am considering buying another throttle body and rebuilding it, after all it is a 28 year old throttle body and probably has never been off of the car ! You also may have a partially clogged up catalytic converter too.
Here's my Wagon:

These are terrific cars . The 2.0 is a great, little engine - I drive mine all year round. Keep good oil in it (I use HD30 in her), keep good coolant in it and don't beat on it and it'll run forever.

~ Mike ~

Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:37 PM
well got around to being able to take some time and diag it good, compression good 165-175 in all 4 cyls, so I knew it wasn't a valve train problem or a bad ring, and the engine as a whole was healthy, so I installed my super duper ebay adapter so I can test the fuel pressure and it was almost too short to fit, [

but I got it started and turned the key and the gauge needle just barely bounced up, well under 10 psi, so I dropped the tank and installed a new fuel pump started it up, reset the timing where it was really suppose to be and sure enough, it was needing so much advance due to the lean mixture.. once you got out on the road it ran ok cause it didn't need that much fuel. now its like driving a Cadillac way more power and it runs way smoother, its funny cause at about 47-48mph it gets this neat sound like a pair of radial engines in flight, hum to it, i think its gonna be a good car. also replaced the torque arm in the front and the trans mount

and it rides way smoother . I like it so much better.
Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:27 AM

Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:29 PM
I LOVE THOSE WHEELS, but I can understand if you want to get rid of them. looks kind of silly on the wagon.
Sunday, December 15, 2013 1:22 PM
this wagon is absolylet gorgious. leave the wheels and get a prokit eibach lowering kit and some kyb struts and shocks and shell be sexy!

OEM CAMBER/CASTER KIT 10 People for $210 <P>
GOT ECOTEC?
Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:52 PM
I don't lower my cars, I leave em at stock height cause if I have to do something extreme I don't want to get stuck because My @!#$ is lowered.
Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:36 PM
....as we like to say here on J-Body :

" 85 Raw Horsepower!!"

You'll get many great years use and enjoyment out of your wagon! I've had my ole sweetheart for more than 11 years now and still get plenty of use out of her. Still amazes me the stuff I can carry in it. A lot of times I just happen to have the wagon when something pops up to be hauled and if I can get the job done with this it saves a trip back home to get the Ranger.

Some photos of my ole workhorse if you care to see. The paint job was a rattle can special done by yours truly back in '07. Seats, Console and IC Cover from a Caddy Cimirron. Tilt Column, Power Seats. Still a work in progress. Never finish the project and you'll never get bored with it. It best thing I've ever hauled in this car is a Car Seat with the Grandson in it!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/106523843413447284565/1986CavalierCSWagon

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:53 AM
sweet, 5 speed and cruise control? nice wagon
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:04 AM
4 speed
Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:22 PM
Picked up some new wheels today..
just a hint I'll post some daylight pics tomorrow.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:41 PM
A touch more fitting for the cars age imo!Cool

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:41 PM
rides and drives much better
Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:23 PM
little update, I've been driving it to work and noticed it had some surging, especially in the lower gears and when you let off the gas, so for giggles I disconnected the vac line from the egr, problem went completly away.. smooth as silk now, so tomorrow at lunch i will check to make sure the egr valve solenoid isn't bypassing and causing the egr to open when its not suppose too.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search