84 Turbo Sunbird Resto - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 Turbo Sunbird Resto
Monday, February 03, 2014 9:26 PM
Well, time to share my paint and body experience after 3 years of ownership and driving. I will add to the pics and slideshow as work progresses. I will just start the thread with a link for you to see.
Paint and Body...

Re: 84 Turbo Sunbird Resto
Monday, February 03, 2014 9:32 PM
I am looking for the baffles and diverter pan to make the hood functional if anyone can help me find them. I have a new top to go on when done and carpet to replace the sunburned original.

Monday, February 03, 2014 9:39 PM
I have to perform the belt molding restoration as well and will document that as well. I do need an original "PONTIAC" emblem for my deck lid as the chrome is bad. I have some new emblems and others will get a paint redo to make them look good again.

Monday, February 03, 2014 10:00 PM
Watched the slide and car is showing it's age in those pics.Nothing out of the norm I know mine has spots that will be fixed once I get all my mechanical stuff done.As for parts you need I def do not have any of the hood workings.There is only one 1st gen at my fav yard and this week rain is forecasted(sigh) plus have a drier to fix with all new parts.I am pretty tired so short it will be.I liked the shop you had to work out of and if I find something I will let you know.R

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:07 PM
Fantastic slide show. The car looks pretty solid. I almost bought the exact same car about two years ago. All that car needed was new doors. Just didn't have the room at the time for one more j-body. Keep up the good work and I will keep an eye out for the the turbo hood parts. Ahhh to only have a lift in my tool chest!

Friday, February 07, 2014 3:36 AM
i just about fell off my chair when i saw the dealer tag on the back of your sunbird! i grew up and live in the west bend WI area. i was hopeing there was another j-body fan near by but by the sign on your shop i see your in tennesse.your in about the same state of restoration as i am with my 86 skyhawk . all my body work is done and i am just waiting for the warm weather to prime and paint. good luck with your bird and keep us posted on your progress.
Friday, February 07, 2014 11:19 AM
Looking great Philip!

Great slide deck...

A couple of feedback items:

Belt molding restoration - I did mine by purchasing the newer style door moldings with the crappy plastic chrome strip (nos ones are fine with damaged chrome strips - they bubble - there may be one on ebay now). You can pull it off and replace with your nice metal bright work from your stockers.

Turbo Hood Vents - mine just came with the vents on top with a plastic material underneath secured by 4 bolts each side. They just lay under the hood insulator with no other ducting. I think I have them covered in a hood insulator before/after pic. If I did not post it I can send to you

Emblems - there is an ohc/fi emblem on ebay if the /fi part is bad on one of yours. I have spare rear emblems - not perfect but available if you want them. I was thing of putting Pontiac 2000 back on, but not yet...

Keep up the great work!

Friday, February 07, 2014 7:12 PM
Looks like one Vert that is gonna get the VIP treatment!! Great Slide Show - Wow you have really been busy on this one!! I greater the effort the sweeter the rewards

I copied one of your photos to share on here as I was suprised to see rust out in this area. It is an easy one to slip under the Radar. Keep up the Great work and of course the photos too!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search