Old Dog Learns New Trick - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Old Dog Learns New Trick
Monday, March 10, 2014 6:47 PM
For like 20 years I have been referring to the big black side molding on my Pontiac as the "Belt Molding". After looking through a collision manual I learned it is referred to as the "side molding" with the Belt Molding being the weatherstrip belt under the window on the outside.

I stand corrected

Re: Old Dog Learns New Trick
Monday, March 10, 2014 11:13 PM
Ok then I guess I never bothered to correct you as I honestly did know the technical term aka as window sweep by our terms but belt moulding is correct sir.After countless hours doing research I can find the diagrams all day and they list the part but with a big NA in terms of availability.Ding you win.I will say since I have self educated myself with the gm lingo on parts I do not always say the parts diagram listing more of what we generally call a particular part to keep it on the simple.I am wiped out long day but have the next four off and get some rest as I have one j needing a inspection asap.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:09 AM
Ron - You were just being nice

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:21 PM
Aha........ Another old dog learned a new trick today. I too always called it belt molding and the top one window molding.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:53 PM
Heck a part name is what gm wanted it to be.But us owners call it by the everyday name we like to call it! It is hard enough to find say a injector harness plug on any auto site that normally use to be listed in like sensors or something and not with the fuel related parts IDK why but,most stores have cleaned up the searches to actually find well a related part.I find napa to be the worst in this dept to this day.Good example is my new fuel fill neck hose.Not under the category with fuel tanks or pumps, etc,but you have to clear you cars info and DO a general search to find the dang it hose (really napa)??????????? .In the search you enter fuel filler hose and it list the part they carry since it is generic and applies to so many cars or trucks I do get this but da!! this irritates the wheel bearings out of me.In short paul these examples point out the yo yo tactics in finding car parts and the goofy names given to things to yet confuse the best car dude fixing his own ride.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:28 AM
I agree with you Ron!

Some part searches are worse than pulling teeth and it would seem after 120+ years of the automobile it is high time time to standardise parts types and clean up part descriptions.

On the other hand being a good ole county boy - you wouldn't believe some of the names I have been privileged to hear some rather common car parts referred to over my many years around certain shade trees and back yards!

I still get a smile on my face to the memories some folks used to call things

Thank goodness I didn't grow up to be a Grammar Nazi - and my motto has always been "If I can understand what you are talking about , everything is A-Ok"!!

"You know.......That Whoop Dee Dooo that goes rit Thar >" would be a bit hard to find in a part search, wouldn't it! Hahaa!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search