Upgrades and repairs - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Upgrades and repairs
Saturday, March 22, 2014 4:16 AM
I was finally able to get some work done to the car now that blizzard season is over. I bought a set of drilled and slotted rotors from eBay for $89 and a set of ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts. As you can see my old rotors were getting pretty thin. The brake vibration was so bad that my wife refused to drive the car. I also replaced the plugs which were way overdue. I had an average of .060 gap on the old plugs some of which had a paper thin ground. I decided this time to try out NGK plugs instead of the delco plugs I normally buy. I'm hoping to have time today after work to flush the transmission and brake fluid. I also did my spring rust inspection and to my dissmay I found a 3" spot underneath the lower radiator hose. I also finally pinpointed that annoying crunching sound I had over bumps for the last 2 year's. I found the left rear spring perch had rusted loose from the axle and was moving around.

Re: Upgrades and repairs
Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:14 PM
I see you have joined some of us this year with some updates.Continue on as we all are at different stages of work.Nice updates.I also plan on flushing my brake fluid once I get the rear brakes (completely done) with all new everything.That is my next step may start this wk idk just depends on my to do's.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:41 AM
Thanks Ron. It stops much better now that the fluid is clean and brakes are new. That brake fluid was almost black and the trans fluid was dark as well. Once it warms up its time for rust repair.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 1:11 PM
Like the blue rotors. Put ceramic pads on the wife's Town and Country. They really cut down on the brake dust that the Chrysler rims attract like a magnet.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:18 PM
Great job Josh!

I have used NGK's after taking advice here on J-Body and I am very happy with them too.

Have read mixed advice regarding auto transmission fluid changes on here an I am curious to see how your experience is with it!

While it has been a number of years ago and nowadays you'd not recognize it - I had replaced my front pads and rotors too on the Wagon. I'm sure yours are powder coated but mine were rattle canned and while nice looking I had to cut the paint off the braking surface with some very hard braking at first. I like your results! Those original rotors were almost paper thin!!

Monday, March 24, 2014 5:17 PM
Thanks John and Orlen. I have 247k on it and I have been servicing the transmission since it had 128k. If you don't have the money or equipment to flush it a drain and fill with a filter replacement is always a good investment. My rotors were also rattle canned and that pretty blue finish is now gone.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search