What is the secret? - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What is the secret?
Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:20 AM
most oil seals have a coating on the outside edge, usually green or red. this coating is a sealant. however if the surface where the seal is preesed into is damaged even slightly it will give the oil a path to leak out. this usually caused when prying out the old seal. ther is also a small metal band that goes on the inside of the rubber lip of the seal, if it is missing the seal will leak where the shaft contacts it. now i could be wrong but i think there is a bushing behind the seal that if damaged will cause a leak no matter how many seals you put in

Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:20 PM
Hey Guys-

I appreciate the input. I started to tear it down today (after a week vacation) and ran into another problem... The hits just keep on coming. It turns out the aftermarket axles do not have a pry point on them like the stockers do. To up the ante once more, the retaining ring is also larger on the aftermarket piece. This combination makes it much more difficult to remove. I am considering tearing into the passenger side and removing that side out to get to the driver side to knock it out from the inside. Looks like my Camaro projects are on hold indefinitely...

Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:00 PM
Ouch on that paul!!! I have had my delima today when I get the text message from the wife saying she had to leave her non running car 1 mile up the road at the local store no start! So I will elaborate on the post to share the full story now.I did get the car home just in case your wondering.

Monday, August 25, 2014 9:27 AM
Many a year ago I broke down and bought an axle shaft puller with the slide hammer - since I figured I'd pretty much be stuck working on FWD from then on. Nope - I don't use it often, but I am mighty grateful every time I need to use it!! Those tools grab the axle from behind the inner joint and make it much easier to remove the axle instead of prying from underneath. I highly recommend.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:13 PM
Gonna rent an axle popper this weekend and see how we do...

Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:58 PM
All apart and back together. I added a little 3 bond on the lip of the seal and made a tool to install it. Back together and road test is tomorrow. Provided we are clean and dry, I will start the Camaro work - finally.

Seal Pic

Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:24 PM
I filled the trans last night and let it sit overnight. DRY! I drove it this morning for about 20 minutes (90 degrees out) and put it away. Came back in 6 hours... DRY! I drove it 40 miles this evening with the top down. Guess What? DRY!!! THIS JOB IS DONE.

IMPORTANT LESSON LEARNED FOR ME: MAKE AN ADAPTER FOR THE SEAL INSTALL FROM HOME DEPOT PVC - 1 1/2 IN FITTING WORKS PERFECTLY.

And the beauty is I will use it again on the other side next spring or whenever I get to it

Monday, December 15, 2014 11:36 PM
Reviving this post for a NEW member with a cv joint problem that is hopefully going to be move from the maintenance forum to our forum and use this as a reference!Ray smith is his name and appears he owns a 86z24

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search