1984 J2000 Water Pump - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1984 J2000 Water Pump
Monday, April 14, 2014 5:21 AM
The wife just took the Bird out for the season and she started hearing a clunking sound under the hood. She said she noticed a small puddle under the engine and so far I had to fill the antifreeze twice, so it sounds like a water pump to me. Autozone recommends replacing the timing belt with the pump, is there anything else I should replace or be concerned about? Thanks

Re: 1984 J2000 Water Pump
Monday, April 14, 2014 8:40 AM
1.8 I guess?

If it is, yeah, may as well do that belt while you're in there. the water pump is used as a tension point for the belt, so the belt you have on is coming off anyway, so why not have a fresh, new belt with that new pump.

I did mine the other way--started out replacing the belt, but then found that the water pump was involved. Stopped everything and went out and bought the water pump.
Monday, April 14, 2014 8:41 AM
I think a pulley had to come off while doing that, but other than that, nothing too ridiculous from what I remember.
Monday, April 14, 2014 11:46 AM
Yeah I'd replace that belt while I was in there. Both are cheap.

The Brazil , while an OHC engine is NOT an interference design so don't sweat a timing mistake while you are in there.

Monday, April 14, 2014 12:32 PM
It is not a bad job. I roll the old girl up on ramps and it works fine. No need to pull the PS front tire as you should be able to get right at the crank pulley.

I usually do the timing and serpentine belt while I am in there. Give your hoses an inspection and a squeeze and replace if needed since the coolant is out. Visually inspect, wipe, squeeze PS hoses and PS pump for leaks since you probably have the alternator off at this point anyways and you can get a better look

Double check timing after the project is done to be sure.

Have Fun!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:12 AM
I recommend buying a new thermostat and upper and lower radiator hoses IF there at least 4 years old on the hoses especially.Anytime I flush a cooling system this is my route and if the radiator cap is really old updating that want hurt either.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:29 AM
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure about changing the timing belt never had changed one before.

Ron, I agree with the radiator hoses. I expect the hoses are original for the vehicle, I would be surprised if the previous owner ever changed them.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:46 AM
Once you manage to find the 3rd hose (that little S shaped one), let me know what you did to change it. I never managed to get mine done.
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:09 PM
Do em all when you have the head off to do the head gasket

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search