V8Z24 ...for real ! - Page 6 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V8Z24 ...for real !
Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:17 AM
Thanks guys,
Last night I got my dash lights fixed, and stereo installed. Just need to pick up some decent speakers now .
Still having troubles with my neutral safety and reverse lights though. But that's mostly because the harness was a complete mess haha.
Thinking I'm going to build an exhaust for it soon too, just so that's also marked off my list.
One inner-fender is bent to shape and bolted in! The other side is prooving to be tricky due to the brakes + coolant overflow(I think I'm just going to go with something aftermarket to save some space haha)

and a picture of the working stereo just cuz.

I really need to find a '55 chev lighter to fit in the socket I put in there haha.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:44 PM
you really think you will be listening to the radio
Motor's got the best tunes man

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:56 PM
So I've been sort of busy.
Electrical hasn't been touched since the stereo was completed (just need neutral safety + reverse lights. Just having problems with the harness since it's just a mess)
I finally got around to picking up primer and a lot more sandpaper. Should be primed soon, and once again decided that we are actually going to paint it ourselves. it's been put off too long and heavy snowfall is incoming soon so it NEEDS to be done. I'll be picture-whoring that in the upcoming weeks...Hopefully by the end of the month.
Besides bodywork today though, I took a huge step to clear room out of the garage, and improve the appearance of the car.
The interior.
I cut up and laid the carpet, and bolted in my seats.
Once the electrical is done I'm piecing the dash completely together, and once I get my door-locks and chrome doorhandles on I'm putting on my door-panels which should make it look even more like a car.
Now that the seats are in the windshield should be in on weds too.

Finished fitting and bolting in the inner-fenders as well.
Sanded them down and awaiting to be primed + painted.
here's before being sanded

Also picked up a sweet vanity plate to use until I get the car legal.
It's a plate used for Canadians over in Germany years ago.

Finally got a good picture of how low it is too.
Half a beer can .
If I was thinking, I would of taken one of how low the ladder-bars are(about 2 inches at most)

Friday, November 15, 2013 9:04 PM
It is looking each time for sure.Great to see it looking more finished!!

Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:04 PM
sweet progress. I just drove mine yesterday - nothing else to report

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:48 PM
haha thanks guys,
and I'm jealous, I can't wait to be able to drive mine around haha.

These are pretty self-explanatory...

Lowest point in the car

All taped up.

Also picked up my top end for the motor I'm going to build for $900... Has less then 2000km on them.
Completely rebuilt vortec heads with stainless valves, ported/polished,roller rockers, etc etc
Also came with fancy valve covers + rpm airgap intake

Now all I actually need to do is build a bulletproof 383 bottom end.
Was looking at a few old super chevy magazines and I think I'm going to aim for a mild 450hp 383. Apparently It's rather easy with vortec heads haha.

On a side note, I think the Nova is sold so I might be building a bottom end right away.
Friday, November 22, 2013 7:26 PM
Here's a little teaser.

That's the first coat of base, so no clear on it yet.

I must say though, after four coats of base, and four coats of clear. The car looks AWESOME.
I'm spending a majority of tomorrow working on it.
I have to rockerguard the frame + rocker panels due to overspray, paint the top of the doors black, put my wheels on, put trim on, etc etc.
really excited honestly.

Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:16 AM
Here's some more progress.

Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:41 AM
so jelly, this build is great.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:18 PM
I posted an update on v6, so I figured I'd post an update here haha.

I managed to get some work done tonight, but haven't had much time lately to do so do to the introduction to a new puppy.
tonight I nail-polished the lip around the hatch black, fixed + put in glovebox, just to have the mechanism in the door break, put chrome door handles on, hatch lock, underglow wired up, cleaned out the back, cleaned off battery box, hooked up all lights, cowl actually put in,side mirrors put on, etc etc...

I'm going to hook up the doorlocks + doorhandles up, put the door panels on and then put the car aside in the garage as I really have to start tearing apart my 240sx.
however, the car is getting really close to getting finished/engineered (just because you're never truly done aha)
Neutral safety/reverse lights, shifter light, coolant overflow, windshield washer fluid resevoir, horn fixed, glovebox fixed, seatbelts, speakers, wipers, and put in an aftermarket heater. Most importantly though, I need to wetsand + buff the entire car, but that'll probably happen in the spring.

Here's a couple pictures I took tonight once I got the underglow working haha.
Wish there wasn't snow outside so I could take it outside and take some nice pictures of it since it actually looks like a car again.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:51 PM
Congratulations!!

Been a long road with a few bumps along the way, but now you are clearly on the down side. Been my observations along the way most of the problems occured when you needed outside help. Good help is so hard to find - next to impossible sometimes. So you stuck with this and did a lot of things yourself you didn't particularly want to do, and it has brought you here.

You have a wonderful J to appreciate and all of us can admire!! May your journey continue!

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:52 AM
Great job Cody,
Bet you're looking forward to next spring in a big way. Great color / finishes.
So like what's next Man??
Mikey G

Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:38 AM
Thanks guys,
and next for this car after everythings done and legal, I plan on building a 383 for it since i already bought some already built vortec heads for a small block/good 010 4bolt main block, along with a 6-speed thrown in haha. Gotta actually put out some power since it's pro-street and all haha.
but if you mean next, for next project,I sold my 73 nova a couple weeks ago though, so I'm looking to pick up a 55 chev to buy and build. I'm also tearing apart my 240sx this winter too aha.

Just for some kicks, I'm going to buy some tires for some old rally wheels I have and throw on the hatch and take it to a few different racing events this summer. We may be buying a trailer so that'll help a lot haha.
Regardless, I'm going to be making plenty of videos this spring/summer.
If there wasn't so much salt on the roads right now, I might of even took it for an actually tough ride down the back highway we got aha.
Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:23 PM
That has turned out to a super nice ride!It has taken a long while to get it there and it certainly shows.Awesome car period.Like very much.

Monday, March 03, 2014 5:21 PM
hey Cody,

How you makin' out ? Starting to get spring fever yet?

Cheers

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 11:53 AM
I've been doing alright haha,
Haven't been doing too much with the hatch though.
I've had to sit it aside for the winter and work on my daily driver.
Once I get the 240 ready for the road again, I'll be putting it aside to put the hatch back in the main part of the garage. I've been itching to work on it haha.
Once the car gets moved over, I'm wetsanding and buffing it(Just bought a brand new buffer for the 240sx haha), and putting in a nice aluminum coolant resoivoir.
From there, I still need to put in a neutral safety switch and hook up the reverse lights but that really should not take that long. Small things left to do would be seatbelts, couple interior peices, putting on the windsheild wipers, prettying up underneath the car a little more, and just a few odds and ends. I CAN'T WAIT.

and incase any of you are interested in what I've been doing in the past few months, here's a couple pictures.

And of course, the one keeping me company throughout the whole winter in the garage

hahaha

Well, as soon as the snow is melted, and a few rainstorms have happened to wash away the terrible salt on the road, I'll have some videos of the hatchback going for a few testdrives throughout the countryside. My girlfriend and I invested in a go-pro a while back, so I'll put it to good use in the car.
As soon as I get some progress done on the car again, I'll be postin!
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:01 PM
Cody, you Definitely got TALENT!!

Really like how the 240 turned out! Might I suggest a black stripe or small black graphics to compliment the wheels and trim. Nothing large since it would stand out too much against that nice green.

I hope you never take up what you are doing as a full time job Cody. You are very good at what you do, and I'd hate to see you get stuck being a full time cave dweller and get all burned out. That would be a terrible waste of talent IMO.

Please keep the posts and photos comin'!!

Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:09 AM
Well, I got around to wetsanding and buffing and waxing the car.
Felt good to start it up and move it(even though it needs an alignment BAD)

till need to:
-Seatbelts
-Heater
-ALIGNMENT
-exhaust
-rebleed the brakes
-coolant resoivoir
-wipers
-and figure what else is needed to make it legal.

But that'll all be done in the upcoming months.

Until I get some pictures of it outside in the sun,
Here are some pictures of when I moved it outside before I buffed it,
except the last one. the last one is of it done but inside so it won't look near as purdy as it would out in the sun.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:00 AM
epic car bud. keep up the great work

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:41 PM
Nice work there.Plus I see your shop has some clean up after all your hardwork working on the rides.Looking great

Friday, April 11, 2014 6:01 PM
Very nice Cody. You nailed it...

Sunday, April 20, 2014 10:04 AM
So, me and my buddy were dickerin' around and ended up getting the car aligned enough that we can drive it around without worrying about it too much.

(yes, I know it looks like crap at the moment. haha)

Also figured out why the reverse lights + neutral safety never worked. The microswitches dont have enough room on the shifter to release so thats why everything was permanately on. Which will be a quick fix next time I'm over at my parents. then to tidy up the rest of the wiring as well.

My glovebox broke. The head of it(what you turn, for it to open) just broke off when I shut it, and it appears to just be glued. I don't know if this is factory or an easyfix or what, so if anyone has any information, that'd be cool haha.

I'm glad I started working on this again though, because the problems keep coming out. Which is great, because it means I can fix them.

I was getting ready to go camping this weekend, and came across something I stashed away a couple years ago.
It's off a GM, and I haven't ran the numbers yet (left the note in the garage), but I'm actually kinda debating on throwing on a turbo with the motor I build. Since it isn't built yet, means I can just build it for boost.

But, here are some pictures I took the other day. It wasn't as nice out as I was hoping, but it wasn't raining/snowing and that's all that matters.

The car is, and will never be a 'perfect' car, but it sure is fun to even work on. Getting too impatient to get it legal and drive it haha
Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:25 PM
Today started out beautiful so me and the pup went over to do some work.
Finally rigged up the shifter so the microswitches will work, and reverse lights finally work. Kept finding little spots that needed touching up so each part of the cars finally coming together!
I have a car show here in town I'm going to be bringing this too, so I need it ready within the next 2-3 weeks to look like a car. I'm going to be trailering it(sucks I know), but soon enough it'll be legal.
Dug out some old black seatbelts since lapbelts i found out wouldn't be legal for it here, dug out some windshield wipers, and FINALLY got a good universal small aluminum coolant reservoir.
I have to put the driver's seat back in since I had to take it out for wiring(sooo cramped.)
One thing I really wish was more thought of when it was welded together, would be the rollcage.
The rollcage wasn't lined up with the pillars so it's rather cramped up front, which is one reason the seats are so forward lol.
I looked into quick-release hubs for the steering column and I'm going to pick one up after the car's legal I think now so theres no complications there.
I'm trailering the car to a shop next week so they can weld me up an exhaust(it's going to be tight under there), and do a real alignment since I know my job wasn't perfect haha

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:12 PM
So I just spent 5 hours hanging out at the exhaust shop today and FINALLY got the exhaust finished!
Flowmaster 40's and they sound pretty damn mint on the car.

This video isn't the best, but it prooves it sounds a lot different haha.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203091964394563&l=7836077883167379286
Had a bit of trouble getting it on the trailer due to the frame scraping so we used quite a bit of lumber to build it up, but eventually it got on (after almost overheating)

Tomorrow, My good buddy is coming over and we're going to fix the windshield wiper switch and look into the relay for the electric fan, and maybe whatever else is the cause of overheating (don't really trust closed radiators)

Also put on my new emblem finally!

and happy puppy!

Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:25 PM
That is some wickiedly looking exhaust.Nothing better than some seriously well done pipes and it looks awesome!Nice touch to a already super cool jbody.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search