Front Pipe Replacement. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front Pipe Replacement.
Monday, May 05, 2014 8:14 AM
I'm working on replacing the leaky exhaust on my 87 Skyhawk Custom Wagon (among other things), but can not for some reason find the Front Pipe (the 'J' type pipe going from the exhaust manifold to the cat) anywhere.

Here's a diagram of what I'm looking for:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=137025&cc=1022757

Rock auto doesn't seem to carry it, nor does autozone, advance, walker, etc... any ideas?

Thank you.

Re: Front Pipe Replacement.
Monday, May 05, 2014 9:47 AM
I had to get one for an 85 a couple of years ago. O'Reilly's found it for me, but if you can't find one, you could always opt to go to a custom pipe bender for a custom replacement. I was seriously considering one. My situation was a bit different, as I swapped a exhaust and intake manifold. I have an 84, and the exhaust manifold was cracked, so my friend and fellow J-bodyer Tom Stroup had an 85 engine with a good intake and exhaust manifold. We swapped it out and low and behold the pipe was different on the 84, so it had to be swapped out. O'Reilly's had to order it direct from Walker if I remember correctly.
Monday, May 05, 2014 10:58 PM
I would suggest just if you cannot find the part or someone finds a source is to cut off the pipe and take it to a shop and have a custom one made for a reasonable price.I am just worn out and sleep is soon coming for me.

Friday, May 09, 2014 8:31 PM
http://www.theautopartsshop.com/exhaust-pipe/wal45177.html I did some mild searching and it says it is for a VIN 1 and yours is a K correct.Just check the link and see if this would work.Heck you could possibly buy the part cut off the neck to exh manifold and use a band clamp to seal it.Figured it was a maybe.Unless I find a real match

Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:12 AM
The only concern I have is with your Muffler turned upside down. I know some (Mufflers) have a weep hole to allow any water buildup to drain off since a by-product of the converter is water. A muffler flipped upside down would allow water to back up into the system.

Great to hear you can still source those intermediate pipes!

My 2nd Gen has a welded mess underneath it. Haven't gotten around to getting any photos, but it is a great example of why I Don't like anyone putting an exhaust on my vehicles. The only good thing about it is that right now it works!

Monday, May 12, 2014 7:37 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I unfortunately have not found much out there in terms of locating the front pipe. I may just get it custom made, but I'm curious as to what that cost will be...

Also Thanks to Alan Harle for finding me the GM part number! It's GM 22436-870, but even with that every place I've called has said they don' carry it, it's discontinued or I'm SOL. Autozone, Advance, Walker, and Rock Auto don't carry it, and there's not an O'Reilly's in the north east apparently...

I may just cut off the tip, and use the old front pipe, but then I have to fashion an awkward extension in there, which is something I want to avoid.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search