Who Needs a Ragtop - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Who Needs a Ragtop
Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:03 PM
Sunbird Convertible

Looks pretty clean. Close by me. My garage is full

Re: Who Needs a Ragtop
Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:37 PM
No room here either.I guess until I win the lottery to build that dream shop I will stick with the rides I have.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:44 AM
Always liked the looks of the Bird two tones.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:22 PM
if that bird was within 100 miles of me it would be mine. imo with that 2-tone color combo, hidden headlights and the fender flares, thats the best looking 1st gen they made. the only knock i have on the birds are the steering wheels. i think the cavys are better looking. there was a identical car for sale last summer near me and i am still kicking myself for not snatching it up. by the way would those fender flares fit on my 86 skyhawk coupe? i have the wide chrome trim on mine but it is in terrible shape and i am looking for some kind of replacement. i also need the long trim piece that cvers the rockers as they are also horrible. any suggestoins? i was even considering the ground effects from a z24. would those fit?
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Yes, the Hawk and bird quarter panels are the same and all j fenders are the same, so flares would be fine.

Z side pods also fit, but might look a little weird if you don't also grab the bolt on middle piece from the door.
Thursday, July 03, 2014 10:55 AM
I have been trying to get a hold of this guy to take a look at the car - just to see (I keep telling myself). No response from the lister...

Thursday, July 03, 2014 9:41 PM
Well if a buyer is wanting a peak and there not responding umm.Could be there just dragging there feet on really selling it.Keep trying.

Monday, July 07, 2014 6:55 PM
Found an 88 Z24 vert on Craigslist in Vermont earlier this spring for 5k (before I got the Mustang for my daughter). Looked REALLY nice and was a black 5 speed. Called the guy and emailed multiple times with no response. I was ready to see the car ASAP. Sometimes I think people are just too lazy to take the ads down. I was only prepared to go up to 3k anyway, but you never know unless you ask.

Monday, July 07, 2014 7:21 PM
Not that far from me as well.

If I wasn't job shopping right now, I would be so on it.....

Upcoming layoffs suck....

Even like the color combo.....

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Monday, July 07, 2014 11:32 PM
You know we have a major advantage to those sellers wanting to rid themselves of some classic cavs,birds.I will say after years of owning mine 16 yrs to be exact I have learned a touch.The advantages are shear knowledge of how they work,things to look for,and over (REAL) value over asking prices in reality.I think a buyer would be whoa if I came to look a car over.I would have some basic tools like to remove the wheels,for brakes check and my scan tool and just a eye for detail on everything.I am sure the question list would cover to much to list but it would be thorough.I also keep a list to decode the vins for specifics not that anyone changes the engine just verification for me.I think all that junkyard running has been so beneficial on removing parts and understand these cars pretty good not perfect but good enuff to feel dang sure!It just humours me when people post up a price thinking they have a special car or it is worth soooo much more not realizing what the car will require in certain conditions.Personally there was 1 car for sale and I would have easily paid 4500 for which was the 87 z24 with 1 owner and only 34k it sold for I think 4700 if not mistaken.It was cherry to the letter but 4700 is a touch more even for my own judgement.It comes down to basically demand, knowledge and buyers who know the cars are not going to get too stupid paying for a car that never will see a high demand from the general market.Sellers need to get a real grasp that these cars want go above 5k on the super high side unless something pristine or special model with unheard of miles.Most cruise at the 1k-1500 imo for the general sells.Again we have the advantage.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 7:38 AM
I agree 100% with you Ron! Yep, it sure is nice to have vehicles you know a lot about and can navigate through breakdowns with!

Such sellers can only achieve such a dream sell only if they can connect with that "perfect" buyer that has as big a demand as they have deep pockets!

Myself, I would never even waste my time on such dream machines as I am one of those ole country boys that can't truly appreciate such a machine as it ought to be. What I go after is the old work horses that has done their bit for king and country and deserve some quality time being dolled up a little and gently enjoyed as they have been used over the years. I spent a bit more on the Sedan than I would have liked to , but it is solid if a few dents and scratches and so serves as a great daily. All that being said I have the pleasure of enjoying a Coupe, Wagon and Sedan bodystyles. I wouldn't mind having a Hatch and Convertible to make a full hand but such dreams are impractical , there just isn't any room for them. So I am slowly coming around to the realization that my barn is full and shall settle down to do what I can with these good ole work horses I have. Hopefully I won't be faced with one of those situations which one comes around that really hurts your feeling because you really can't go there!

These cars are kinda like puppies! Love them all - but you can't give them all a good home. Take what you can afford and give them the best that you can! Never become a hoarder.....Hahaa!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search