ASC Cavaliers - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ASC Cavaliers
Friday, May 17, 2013 2:08 AM
Was poking around this site along with other sites, saying the 1st gen Cavalier Convt are coupes converted by ASC for GM. Production numbers are all over the place, range from 5800 to 50. Some sites mention that converted coupes were Z24s, known as X24 once changed to coupes. Wondering if mine, having the ASC door tag, is a rare RS Convt? Any GM historic GM experts? Is this info internet hype?

Thanks, Ken.

Re: ASC Cavaliers
Friday, May 17, 2013 5:32 AM
ASC did all of the first gen convertibles.

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:51 AM
ASC was (maybe still is) an outfit in southern California. They also did the F body Firebird/Camaro convertibles.
Friday, May 17, 2013 12:40 PM
We have one up here as well - Used to be American Sunroof Company, now American Specialties Corporation?

Friday, May 17, 2013 1:19 PM
That's the one, Paul.

Maybe only the F bodies were done by ASC in California because that's where the F bodies were built, prior to production being moved to Canada. Because of this thread, I now find they have HQ and started in Michigan.

1980s F bodies were built in California and Canada, but at some point the California facility was shut down.
Friday, May 17, 2013 2:35 PM
These are the production numbers one of our members posted years ago. ASC also did the 84 - 85 Eldorado (used to own one of these) and Buick Riviera conversions.

Friday, May 17, 2013 9:47 PM
Now this area I need to learn.Seeing they made 106,000 85s I need to figure out what production # my car was in that for well knowledge.I never really bothered to look up this or wonder and I guess being so busy doing everything else it was out in left field.I wonder how many of that # are still registered and drivers to this day.Umm

Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:57 AM
I think less than 106 000 are still drivers today!
Monday, May 27, 2013 5:28 PM
I just located my ASC label. You have inspired me to put it back on my driver door. I ahve had it in a folder for the last 17 years...

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:56 PM

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:19 PM
Just a FYI, I believe they did almost all GM convertibles. I don't think they are around anymore or maybe they just don't do GM anymore.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:08 PM
Automobile Speciality Company seems to be a different ASC than the American Sunroof Company in Michigan.

I guess that's the one in SoCal I remember that did the F bodies in the late 80s.
Friday, July 12, 2013 10:08 AM
Hi All,

The ASC info here is good, and they have gone through a name change over the years (a few actually.). On my old Tripod website I had the production numbers that 84Conv posted above. I also had a page that went into detail on how the ASC conversion was done, but the site got hacked and I haven't rebuilt it yet. I promise I will add a J-body specific ASC post on my blog someday and iron that out.

From 2000-on I emailed, wrote letters, and left voicemails for people at ASC to see if I could get any photos or more specific history on the J-body convertible conversions. Nobody returned a single one of my attempts to reach them. So I guess we'll never know more. Its unfortunate, but I also learned the company had some major shakeups after the founder committed suicide in 2001. That may explain a few things.

I did a three-part post on my "Throwin' Wrenches" blog about the history of ASC as a company and I talked a little bit about the J-body. If anyone's interested the links are below.

Part One: http://throwinwrenches.blogspot.com/2013/05/start-small-dream-big-american-sunroof.html
Part Two: http://throwinwrenches.blogspot.com/2013/05/start-small-dream-big-american-sunroof_25.html
Part Three: http://throwinwrenches.blogspot.com/2013/05/start-small-dream-big-american-sunroof_6769.html

I miss our '86 RS Convertible a lot, but my Mom & Pops let me drive it from time to time. They're enjoying it now just as they did in the 80's when they had it. Dad's on here now and his username is Steve Scott. He also has a clean-as-a-whistle '85 Type 10 Convertible with the 2.8 and 4 speed that is a blast to drive. They both get compliments at shows since they're at that age where they're getting collectable.

I still check in on JBO and I'm glad to see much more traffic on the first gen forums. Hope you all are doing well, and I'll update / post here when I get my ASC & the J-body post up on my blog.

Cheers,

-D

Friday, July 12, 2013 12:28 PM
Daryl-

Great to hear from you!

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:21 PM
Thanks Paul, likewise. I need to get on here more often

Friday, July 12, 2013 6:44 PM
Hi Daryl,

I do remember reading that article about ASC a few years ago. It was probably on your site.

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:03 PM
Hi Daryl !! Where ya been Stranger?? Hope life is treating you Well

Glad to see ya back in the neighborhood!! Would Love to see a couple of photos of You & your Dad with the 'Verts on here sometime.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:24 AM
Hi Orlen, thanks for the kind words, good to hear from you as well. Nice job on the 'bird paint job. I'll start a new post with some pics. And hi 84Conv, your ride looks great!

BTW: If anyone needs a new ASC sticker for their ragtops, you can get NOS ones here for $20, or for $30 they'll type the dates in that you need. Its a site for Mclaren owners, but the stickers are the same as the J-body cars.

http://www.ascmclaren.com/nameplates.htm

Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:25 AM
Earlier labels were all red like Paul's picture shows. The above label would be for the ones from 1985 and up it seems.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:14 AM
Thanks for this great info, Daryl.

My convertible doesn't have the ASC stickers, but I think I'll get a set of them. For my general fund of information, do I need both the stickers? If I do, I'll have to figure out the date that my '84 was altered into a 'vert...

Walt Lewis
Monday, July 22, 2013 11:56 AM
Hi Walter,

I would think yours could go either way, but I can't be sure. I'd use Paul's '84 as a reference and go with that style if you can.

As for build date, I 'guessed' at mine on the '86 by seeing the old stickers inside the instrument cluster trim panel and a corresponding sticker with a date on the underside of the rear fiberglass speaker panel. Both had a date of 1/86. If you feel like taking a few panels off you may find some dates to get you close.

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:04 PM
Walt-

I scanned and printed mine. I can send you a copy...

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:16 PM
Sweet intel on the cav's there 84vert, do you have numbers for the sunbirds/J2000's too? How did you come across that?
Monday, July 22, 2013 8:12 PM
Found that by accident back in 2006..... I think it was from one of our members here on jbody that had their own site. You can see the link at the bottom of the pages.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:36 AM
A quick hunt came only across this from the V6Z24 site... Again only cavaliers...

http://www.v6z24.com/history/production
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search