Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff. - Page 10 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff.
Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:45 PM
Speaking of junkyarding I would like to go myself.But the last two weeks either too busy working on other cars or the weather was too bad to go.I do check the places I go online and need to check to see if anything worthy is available to justify going in the first place.Glad you at least did get something out of your trip and low cost makes it even better.I do think if another 1st gen z or good coupe show up I will be looking to get anything I can as our cars are getting more tough to find things in the mega junkyards the last year or so.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:56 PM
Hey Ron just wandering if you could get a hold of a set of window sweeps for a first gen z ,and maybe a set of tail lights in good shape and possibly a good manual shift console,...... thanks man.
Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:18 PM
Ok went junkyarding today.I know sunny needs inspection but next wk when no bad temps,dry.In short found several cars of interest.1984 cavalier type 10,1986 cav sedan,1991 z24 got that hard to find strut tower bar! and a 1984 buick Skyhawk.Now the minor picks are two chrome headlight bezels really decent shape!!!,one strut bar,one tbi complete with all linkage and the unique valve cover like my car has with the raised ridges.Now the Skyhawk has a da-n near perfect interior(seriously like NEW) seats solid front and rear no wear and cloth brown and no vinyl super sweet!!! ORLEN the 86 cavalier has a very NICE front bumper cover with some very mild blemishes in white.This has real potential to be lightly cleaned and areas fixed but nothing hard into the plastic bad.I was super tempted to buy more but I am on a tight budget so have to control my buying on parts.These items are for sale if any interest and I MAY change my mind but showing them for any takers.I spent several hours and trying to see it all but things take to time remove scope,and left my camera so no pics of the minty fresh Skyhawk interior which was 4 dr.I maybe leaving something off and will add later if need be.

Friday, March 07, 2014 2:08 PM
Give me a price on the chrome headlight bezels lol.

Friday, March 07, 2014 9:21 PM
Will do matthew as soon as I get my list of who wants what,etc in order.These will not much more than I paid literally just too easy to remove and extras screws to boot as I save EVERYTHING! I will polish them up as they already have been washed and the polish will make them bead water.Ok and thanks for the interest.

Friday, March 07, 2014 10:16 PM
Alright take your time. I check on here daily.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:46 AM
i need some stuff for my 91 RS 3.1 convertible
-convertible quarter window drivers side. i already have a replacement for the passenger side i bought off of ebay.

passenger side quarter window lift motor/regulator. can these motors be bought new? mine barely lifts the windows sometimes i have to help it. its bad enough that i wont lower that window anymore.

i have a problem with my instrument cluster. sometimes the tach and spedo stick. its annoying, it has gotten better the more i have driven this car. i think the car sat for a long time. is there something i can do to fix that without replacing the cluster. if a cluster is needed it has the have the spedo, tach, oil pressure, and temp gauges.

im sure i will eventually think of other parts but thats all i have at this moment with the biggest annoyance being those rear quarter windows. i think the gaskets can be found new on ebay but the windows are bad. i just need the drivers side quarter window
Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:23 PM
Ok will keep those items in mind.Your speedo sticking is not the cluster itself rather the speedo cable.The short is remove speedo cable on the trans 1st.Then pull the cluster out,and push the slack from the engine bay towards the firewall,this will alloy you to pull the cluster out enough to disconnect the cable.Next you have two options.1 is remove the cable completely and clean the cable out with brake cleaner and use compressed air to blow it out from the old grease build up inside.Then either using a grease gun force grease into the tube and make it come out the end.OR you can pull the cable out of the housing and lube and reinstall into the tube.2nd the simple route is just remove from trans,pull cluster out,unhook at cluster and dab some white lithium grease into the end and reinstall,and do the same on the trans end and hook back up.The key by unhooking at the trans to remove the cluster alloys slack to have the space needed to unhook it from the cluster on either of the two choices.I suggest a full removal as it is a 20plus year old car and the grease inside that tube is done for.Most analog speedo cables do this once they get age and the removal and clean,lube is a better long term fix over the quick lube minus the knuckle busting removing the entire cable.I am not sure on when I can go junkyarding just yet,but will print off your needs and keep it in sight so when I can go soon I hope.The tach issue now that I am not sure on a suggestion as it is electrical and maybe in electronics or hook up in the engine bay.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:14 PM
i thought the spedo on these cars was driven by a stepper motor. i remember driving a 91 corsica with a failing alternator, i was just trying to get the car home. anyways i remember that one of the things that stopped functioning was the spedo. i thought these cars would have been the same as the cavalier as they were from the same GM generation, very similar cars actually. i thought the cable was only for the odometer. whats funny is the more i have driven this car the better it has been. when i first got the car it was terrible, now its just slighlty annoying. maybe its the car's way of saying i need to be driven. i personally dont let this car sit except for in the winter.

now on your older GEN I cavaliers, i will make a good guess and say that your GEN I cable is running the spedo. i had an 89 camaro and that was mechanical. the spedo in a mechanical system movement is very different then the way the needle moves in a stepper motor driven system.
Friday, June 27, 2014 9:06 PM
I would have to check my books really to make sure my thoughts are correct on the speedo.I have doodled with the 2nds in the parts yards and I can't recall if the cable had that small electrical piece going into the trans or not.Either way If I find the book says other wise or you check yours to verify would be easy.NOW the motor window regulator and assembly can be purchased new from various stores that I do know.I do have two side windows for the rear left and right from a 90-92 I just can't recall which year but I have completely refurbished one and it DOES work the other window I left uncleaned or checked.I at the time figured these might be a item that down the line someone would want and pulled both the entire window glass and motor/reg all in one unit and there in my attic.

Friday, June 27, 2014 9:12 PM
These are the two window 1/4s from a 92 cav vert I saved I had to scroll back in my own thread to find them.I have like one of two more pics of them with close ups from page 7.Btw I do believe auto zone ,advance, etc all sell new motors for sure.The window seals are not so great but,those could be refurbished with some aftermarket seal stuff I do believe.

Friday, July 25, 2014 10:38 PM
Ok I went junkyarding today! I have pics but my usb cord is being a $^#%&&**@*(! and want let me download my pics!So I ended up with two items one 1st gen strut bar and a new better leather seat for my nephews 98 accord.I will say they had a 91 cav Z and a 94 cav Z and the neato part was the 94 had a (5 SPEED manual)!!!!! this really is rare to even see.I kind of had fun and used my spare dewalt 20v battery to juice up the electrical as the car still had the keys in the ignition and listened to the radio while I doodled in the car.I will pop more info and pics of a even more rare find once I get my camera usb cord replaced to show that probably next week as I work the next four days.Btw I did try to start the car but the dewalt battery is well too small but I sure tried even tho no oil or any fluids for the heck of it.Kinda of irritated with my usb cord and not being able to show pics but it is ok.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:06 PM
[IM[URL=http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/1987oldschoolmaz/media/DSC01272_zpsc723a40a.jpg.html]G]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i338/1987oldschoolmaz/DSC01274_zps84ee57f5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]Ok came across this 1987 T type buick Skyhawk and it was rough on the inside interior is shot but the cluster is soooo cool and the car was def over 200k and the body was actually pretty decent.Engine was the 1.8 ohc I think (I'm tired) and all intact.Some idiot ripped the radio out and messed up the dash area there(RRRRR).Next is the 94 cav z24 nice over all just worn with the 3.1 and a super rare find 5spd manual.Exciting to a degree to see and I did manage to crab some other stuff at the junkyard a seat for my nephews car and a strut bar.Enjoy the pics and done for now.

Monday, July 28, 2014 6:28 AM
wow - sweet skyhawk!

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:21 AM
What a rare find!!

I am surprised you don't have a 'Hawk" owner ringing your phone off the hook beggin' for some parts off this!

Being that it is the T Type it ought to have Front & Rear sway bars on it too.

I see the stereo in question was a CD player -Hahaa pretty modern for a car in those days! I'll have to remember to keep an on ole eye out for those Cassette jobs when I'm on the prowl later this week! Gettin' excited - "Candy Store"

Monday, July 28, 2014 12:52 PM
Ron. I'd like those black seat belts out of that Skyhawk if you have the time to pull them on your return visit, Please.

I know they aren't 100% but if they are in working condition they'd make great spares for my 1st gens.

Monday, July 28, 2014 1:19 PM
Those are the nice tail lights, but I already have two sets.

That IC, I haven't seen it before without the turbo, so I never bothered to put that on my want list.

I currently have the same IC, but without the orange needles. Would that work with my 1.8, or is that motor/transmission/ecu specific like some other things on these J's seem to be?
Monday, July 28, 2014 4:09 PM
Hey Ron, If you go back you can grab that steering wheel for me if you have time.

Thanks,

John

Monday, July 28, 2014 6:16 PM
Oh how a picture shows so many things...... I do believe I spy factory floormats front & rear in the "Hawk. I'd like those along with the seatbelts from the Skyhawk too, please.

Monday, July 28, 2014 9:04 PM
Ok made a list bucket seats,floor mats,steering wheel, instrument cluster(maybe) so far.Wayne let me double check the VIN on this car I lost my vin sheet I carry and will be literally making a new one once I get off here later.Wayne I do not think the IC would matter too much as this is a 1987 BUT if your gauge set is the same it should hook straight up!Being the speedo is cable driven as yours and just basically a mild change in appearance.I was going to go to Winston salem first thurs but I may hit my local yard 1st and try maybe Friday if I have time to hit the alternate yard.Orlen I just got a spare leather seat for my nephews car and it was 58.00 BUT it has power seat option and that adds to the cost about half the price so those clothe seats maybe closer to say 40.00 guessing.Wayne if you want the cluster cost might be 25.00 idk there prices went up but then due to lack of buys they FINALLY dropped there prices on everything.I paid get this $3.25 for the strut bar!!!!!!! DEALS yes.I will pack my tool box and carry bag ready to rob that car blind.I wish I could just buy cars from them but due to title laws and how cars are bought by them and titles have to be fixed prior to reselling.They unforntunately don't do that ERRRRRR.I would be all over that 94 Z I just can't get past the 5spd manual with a 3.1.I am playing the lottery Wednesday and sure would come in real handy as I would be building that J body shop faster than nitrous oxide.R

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:33 AM
Not sure if you got another interested in the seats or might be a mix up on my behalf - I am interested in the seat belts out of the Skyhawk and also the seat belts out of the Coupe. As well as the floor mats out of the Skyhawk.

Thanks!!

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:12 AM
Out of all the Jbodies this is the best looking steering wheel

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:08 PM
yeah, that IC would be awesome if it would work in my car. I have the full cluster, just not with the orange needles.

I have a lower-tier version of that steering wheel. The T-type version is thicker and much nicer, but a great looking wheel. The one I have is red and the horn button is the buick logo.
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:24 PM
Well I found my vin sheet last nite! It appears that yr buick had the 2.0 not the 1.8 like I was thinking as I was just tired and had to double check.Idk why the IC would not work unless gm changed the plug in's on the cluster but I doubt that as it was cheaper to keep stuff similar.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:41 AM
that's what i was thinking, sounds like a go to me if you happen to get back to that yard.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search