Super Wagon!! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Super Wagon!!
Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:25 PM
So how much can you really stuff in one of these old J-Body Wagons?

Well the boss informed me Friday we are going to be swamped in overtime the rest of this year - so sadly this weekend is my last trip to Pick-N-Save!!

Armed with this knowledge I was determined to make one last SUPER run - rain notwithstanding (which did in fact cooperate long enough for me to make a few trips back and forth to the wagon!

Basically I made 3 trips in this one run. I had planned to get the front end off of one of those 1st gens.....But which one to get? In the end I decided to tear into the Z24 just for the fun of it all - I figured it would be a joy to hang a Z - nose on the wagon sometime in the future. Who knows if either one of these cars will still be there whenever I might be able to return after the 1st of the year.

I found the bumper cover wasn't as daunting a task as I thought it would be - actually enjoyed the job! The header panel was even less of a headache than the cover was. I was able to remove those side ground effects but couldn't get the matching pieces off the lower door - when it started cracking I just left them .

Amazing how much you can stuff in on of these little wagons! I've been making hauls like this in this wagon since 2002 and it still does a wonderful job even today!

A gentleman stopped me at a Post Office I pulled into to drop off Ron a Money Order and commented how long it had been since he had seen one of these cars. The old J and myself enjoyed the recognition

The gas cans? Filled up with as much $2.79/gallon as I could get while I was in Roanoke today!

Re: Super Wagon!!
Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:28 PM
I see your trying to compile parts up like I do.Nice choices on select items you picked up.I have my stuff sorted between in my garage hanging and some in my attic out of the way and in order if I am looking for anything specific.I may check online at my yards to see if anything is worth a hoot to go check.Since I have been buried in fixing several other cars lately and home projects going out junkyarding is off the radar right now.Nice finds and just winding down after a long day and feeling the tired for sure.Holding parts that are hard to find is key as the selling price will go up for certain pieces for sure.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:31 PM
Good score there Orlen, looks like you got everything you need except a hood. I have most of the same parts in storage from the old 84 sedan that I stripped last two years ago. Too bad I had to scrap that car but I needed to get it out the place where I had it parked.

The hunt is always fun if you don't NEED something to get your ride going again.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:07 PM
Wow-

That is a lot of stuff. Nice score Orlen!

I ham in the same situation - work is gonna be really busy. I have to get to Parts Galore and Milan one more time this year...

Monday, October 13, 2014 11:37 AM
Oh yeah, John - already picked up the hood earlier... although you got the edge on me with the back end - I don't have a trunk lid or rear bumper cover.

"The hunt is always fun if you don't NEED something to get your ride going again. " - Yes it certainly is

I have gotten as much stuff off these 2 J-'s as I possibly can. If they dare to keep them around long enough I'll be back for more! I have been cross referencing some part numbers on Advance Auto and Auto Zone and am discovering a surprising number of parts interchange between GM cars. Just today I found out that the automatic drive axles are the same between the V-6's and 4's on the 1st gens.

One thing that this yard does is drill a hole in the transmission pan and gas tanks to drain out all the fluids before placing them in the yard. Hope I don't need either of those!

I have certainly enjoyed my trips to Roanoke - it has been a wonderful year !! I have been extremely lucky!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:43 PM

Good Day Orlen,

Good find and the starter look new!

Pierre
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search