My 86 Wagon! The Dragon! - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My 86 Wagon! The Dragon!
Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:47 PM
Quote:

missing a center cap so i shot one wheel center black
][/quote

Contact Orlen, he should have 2 junky chrome centercaps to sell you and you can paint them black...........

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:35 PM
Ok I am Much better tonight! The short was I just too tired and the infamous arthritis was just wiping me out in pain.Ok for you guys I debated a video minus a oil pan but,my spare engine and do a walk thru,However I will save that idea for youtube to make it permanent.Steps in removing your 1.8 or 2.0 ohv/ohc oil pan due to LEAKS! Drain the oil, and remove the oil fliter.Then remove your oil pan and have a drip tray (like from walmart a BIG one to catch any residue as the oil will drip until you clean the lower end of your block.Once the oil is out I brake clean the lower end with at least 2 cans of brake cleaner.Btw Napa has the 3m brake cleaner on sale for $2.59 a can.Once you brake clean the bottom end,I usely use a kobalt fine bristle cordless 1/4 inch shank brush FINE to clean off the old gaskets down the side's and get the metal shiny Clean,and yes a blade may be required.On the crank end you might have a gasket or just silicone(this depends on the cars history) on the transmission end it should be a rubber insert gasket seal that pulls out.I cannot say this enough just make sure the mating surface on the block where the oil pan mounts needs to be STUPID clean and NO oil period prior to a new oil pan gasket.I will say I brake cleaned mine multiple time's even after using the brush,and a light sanding by hand to ensure the surface is OIL and GRIME free.Now on your oil pan the same tedious work has to be done.I usely wash the oil pan in Ivory soap and wet sand inside and out.I would recommend removing the drain plug,and get the oil pan ready for new engine primer and paint.I did sandblast my pan in the pic you see.Not necessary but quick.Once your oil pan has been prime and use painters tape on the gasket sealing side the entire way,keep primer and paint off of it.I used dupicolor engine primer and low gloss black engine paint.Do multiple light coats of primer and let cure for a full 24hrs.Then paint and let that cure for 24hrs or more.Once the pan is cured and rewipe the gasket area with brake cleaner to ensure a super clean surface.You are ready for installed ONLY 3 gaskets!!! You will use the side cork gaskets that run left to right and the rubber seal that goes's at your transmission end.Next the ONLY product I will use is Permatex the Right stuff sold auto zone,advance,napa,oreillys,etc you get the idea.Buy the 4.0 oz can this is about $14.00 and worth it.I will stop here and add more on the next post.I realize this is LONG winded but,I am a OCD step by step to the letter on doing something right the 1st time!Plus I can take a break.Beer break that is.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:39 PM
Ok now you have your oil pan freshly painted and ready for the The right gasket sealer and 3 gaskets.Yes only 3.You will soley use the side gaskets and the one rubber seal that goes on your transmission side.Just a tip this sealer sets up fairly quick so make sure you have rewiped your bottom of your block with brake clean and same for the oil pan side that mounts to the block.Start with the sealer running a thin 1/8 bead down the side go around the bolt holes do not cover them,and do both side's and then lay your cork gasket on each side aligining the bolt holes.Next run 2 beads of the sealer on the crankshaft end of the oil pan just cover the metal so NO metal is showing.I go about a 1/4 inch thick on the crank end.Then on the trans end of the oil pan run about a 1/8 inch thick bead and do 2 parallel.Now the pan is ready BUT run a 1/4 thick bead on the area where the rubber seal goes to the block to trans so when you istall the rubber seal it is sticking to the sealer and then install your oil pan by hand.I start from the crank end and run in the bolts with a 1/4 inch socket left to right to the trans end.I then go back and retighten the bolts SNUG (I DO NOT TORQUE THESE) you can snap these bolt's in half with a torque wrench even on inch lbs.I go back and recheck a GOOD tight FEEL by hand on the bolts crank end to trans and left to right and just good and tight!!!!!!!!! I suggest leaving the car untouched and NO OIL and drain plug left OFF the pan for at least two day's.Crazy Yes but,IF you want a NON leaking oil pan the sealer will generally cure in 24 hours IF in a garage with NO humidity or moisture for at least 1 -2 days really.If the car is outside at least 2 days FOR REAL and NO OIL or oil filter just yet.Once this has cured install your oil drain plug,new filter and oil.Let the car soley idle,no reving and let things HEAT cure the gasket sealer permanent.I will say If you take your time and do this step by step to the letter,and make sure the oil pan is grease free on the gasket side,and the block where the gasket sealer sets,and let the sealer cure on the crank end with the double bead and added measure on the trans end your oil pan will never leak again PERIOD!I will pop some fun pics after this of the brushes I bought at lowes to clean my block and oil pan to ensure a 100% clean metal surface.I would seriously buy about 6-8 cans of brake cleaner as you will burn thru this making sure the metal is oil free and the block end is the same prior to the oil pan going back in place.I am much better tonight as my pain in the arthritis is less but,kicking but the adult beverage's are helping me after working in the yard ALL afternoon.OK the short is a video of this would be like maybe under 5minutes but,a full on detail take's wayyyyyy more time.But me being the Jbody guy I am like the details, in the details that just are not short.R

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:49 PM
1st pic is the kobalt fine brushe's sold at lowe's home improvement and make sure you you buy the Fine brushes with 1/4 shank and they come in 3 size's.Next is my oil pan installed and done with new paint and not much to add to that.I will have some free time Thursday and Friday and might make a short vid to do on my youtube page and link here later.Done and I am now running out of go power.

Saturday, March 05, 2016 6:27 PM
Thank you Ron, I have my gaskets and now im waiting for warmer weather to tackle this job. I notice my pictures keep flopping so im gonna try uploading some pics once ive figured out how to do that. i bought a set of 15" aluminum wheels to put on the car but when i tried to bolt them on there wasnt any stud to grab onto, just a few threads. They are neon wheels but theres another cavalier around town with them on, but its a 95ish 2 door. Wondering if i need a newer hub with longer studs or do i have to press em out and press new ones in? I really like this wheel design and hope i can make em work.
Attachments
int1.jpg (77k)
cav1.jpg (119k)
cav2.jpg (111k)
full blown cavy.jpg (85k)
int3.jpg (71k)

Saturday, March 05, 2016 6:28 PM
heres a photo of the wheels, 15" snowflakes
Attachments
wheels.jpg (75k)

Saturday, March 05, 2016 10:03 PM
I'm running the srt-4 17"s on my 99 cav. Ur right theres not allot of thread but havnt had an issue. Although i wouldn't be too rough on them. but it's better to be safe and get new studs

ReD RaiN
Sunday, March 06, 2016 5:13 AM
yeah there must be a difference in the generations ReD RaiN, cause i cant even start the nuts on the studs! the holes are so deep on the new wheels theres absolutely no threads to even get her goin. either press in new studs or get later hubs, but then will they fit?
Monday, March 07, 2016 3:12 PM
Pressing new studs might be the easiest way to go.
You could take the rims to a machine shop and see if they can machine a little off the rim to make them fit for a decent price.

Keep us updated with pictures.

Monday, March 07, 2016 7:08 PM
yeah i agree with the longer studs idea 84conv, now to poke around to see which of my friends can get me access to a hydraulic press
Saturday, April 02, 2016 4:19 PM
update! I was down at the garage workin on my toyota today and wanted to see what the situation was on my wheel fitment. i began on the back and the wheels fit right on. Then i went upfront and tried them on the front hubs. to my surprise i got about 4-6 turns t'l finger tight, and then got another 2 turns until they were snugged up, not sure if thats an acceptable amount of bite but theyre on there, now lets see how the tires hold air. Wanted to take her for a ride but its raining and ive discovered a small hole in the floor, a little crack from what looks like an impact with a rock. Need to patch the crack and dry/shampoo the interior, beginning to get a little mouldy. Heres a quick snap of the beast in my sisters garage, wheels completely transform the look!
Attachments
20160402_144446.jpg (260k)

Saturday, April 02, 2016 11:09 PM
Looks good. Drop it a bit and it'd be ballin

ReD RaiN
Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:57 AM
took a rip down to park her in the sun and throw a dehumidifier in, took a nice snap out in the sun
Attachments
20160414_092832.jpg (514k)

Sunday, April 17, 2016 8:27 AM
Wagon looking real nice there William - hope you have a great time with it this summer!!

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:30 AM
Thanks Orlen! This weekend i attempted to remove the moldings and logos off the sides, everything went fine but the cavalier rs badge on the driver door took some paint with her, so i gata fix that issue. Passenger side came out fine, but once i removed the body moulding i see evidence of shotty bodywork, looks like they left the old adhesive on and painted over it, kinda explains the underside of the hood being silver. Finally i began to pull up my carpet, which is dry, but the sound deadening dryer lint underneath is soaked, found a little crack from a dent under the front passenger seat, so i got the carpet propped up and the dehumidier goin, its supposed to be a beautiful week so hopefully the ole dragon dries out. here's some pics i took after shaving the emblems
Attachments
20160417_120243.jpg (623k)
20160417_121359.jpg (573k)

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:56 PM
Wagon's looking great I like the wheels. I have seen those turn up on CL from time to time and they look better on there than I imagined them.
I can't tell really from the pics, but does yours have an all plastic rear bumper cover or is it just a body colored/painted? My Skyhawk has a chrome rear bumper with two plastic caps at the ends, but I'm liking the looks of yours better, I'm not much for shiny.
Also I agree about the drop, would really look sweet! ( just did mine so a little biased )

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:15 AM
Yes the rear bumper is totally plastic. I think on earlier cl cavaliers they were the same setup as yours, but mine being an rs has all the chrome blacked out. I do agree lowering the wagon would look better, however i take this ride to music festivals, and my city's pretty brutal roads and potholes make me wana keep her stock height, specially once i move out to the sticks.
Attachments
cav2.jpg (111k)

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:30 AM
Nothing wrong with stock height either!
Cool, I'll have to see if I can find one of those someday, would look a lot better than the chrome. Painting will probably do for now.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:28 AM
Having different wheels sure does add to the enjoyment!

Over the years I've been blessed to come across a lot of different styles and designs of wheels. Collecting them has kinda become like eating Lays Potato Chips in a way. Now having different J-Bodies and Generations has really complicated the possibilities and I personally had simply run out of room should I find anymore - which is probably a really good thing now. That I do have such a collection as these is truly a blessing - I enjoy having the variety and hope all of you do too

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:26 PM
drivesa5 u should look into duplicolor to spray ur chrome bumper, they have a smoke kit, thats black candy that can pimp that chrome right out, may not be ur style but its an option. Love your wagon btw, the black wheels look sinister and i love the skyhawk front end, its like a mini camaro!
Orlen thats a beautiful collection you have there! i really love the wire set you have on ur sunbird! I'm probably gonna try to sell the 13's, not sure if anyone will buy em but who knows, my concern now, my new to me 15's have dry cracked rubber on them and i think all 4 are loosing air, my parents have a set of tires in the basement but they're a little large for our application, 195/65/r15. they have a winter set mounted and im gonna try em on and see if theres any rubbin, but those are gonna shoot the wagon right up in the air
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:33 PM
i was just at canadian tire, the duplicolor kit i was talking about is called shadow

Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:37 AM
Thanks for the compliments and suggestion Will, I'll check it out!
Orlen, that is a lot of wheels ...
I am on the verge of tossing the original steel 13s from the wagon, I can't imagine anyone will want them?

Thursday, May 05, 2016 3:44 PM
Update! Pulled the carpet out of the wagon and removed the soaked sound deadening, patched the hole in the floor, Here's what the bare floor looks like
Attachments
empty int2.jpg (327k)
empty int.jpg (337k)

Thursday, May 05, 2016 3:53 PM
so couple days went by and had a little rain, and today when working on the truck noticed a little water on the floor. I believe waters coming in from the wire connection i circled in the attached photo, top of the inner fender next to the cowl. Its following the wiring down the kick panel right around the hood latch, little rusted out metal tab shouldve been an indicator. my next nice day off i will investigate it further
Attachments
firewall cowl plug2.jpg (186k)
under Dash.jpg (321k)
kick panel.jpg (238k)

Friday, May 06, 2016 4:56 AM
My 2 door has/had about 4 leaks in various areas front and rear... they can be a real pain to track down, good luck! A hose and an assistant may come in handy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search