Speedo w/tripometer - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speedo w/tripometer
Sunday, December 25, 2011 7:51 PM
Been a little busy as everyone else, but wanted to get this on here B4 I forgot the details.

The mini-project was to replace the speedo with one that had a tripometer on it. Handy for figuring MGP and going to the gas station before I have to spend $30 or more!
So here is a B4 picture:

Here is the donor cluster out of an early Cavalier Hatch, don't know the exact year, but it had the 2 large headlights instead of 4.
I tried an the whole unit on my '86.....kinda stupid when I later thought about it....I could have blown fuses and fried a wiring harness. It was completely dead, tho when I turned on the key, and the light switch produces no lights when I turned it on.

The first thing to do is remove the speedo, and get to the odometer so I can reset it to the exact mileage that is on my Pontiac.

To get the ODO off, you have to remove the Speedo face. To get the face off , you have to remove the pointer. The pointer is a free floating design, so you have to lock the mechanicals so when you put this back together, the pointer will be pointing in the right place....you don't want to be reading 55MPH and be really doing 70!

This is the business end, once you remove the pretty stuff. I was already having drama by now. That tiny old plastic pointer broke on me when I removed it. Trying to repair it, I broke it again..... The only solution I had was to use the pointer off the Tachometer, but as luck has it, it didn't fit, so I had to remove both the tiny plastic needles and glue on the good one to the mount of the old one!! Note this Tripometer is so old, you have to push this one in and turn it to spin the 4 digits around till they all return to 000.0, the newer ones you just push to reset.

This is the digits I need to get on the replacement Speedo.

Remove the little clip on the right, and the ODO assembly can be removed....

Once out, look on the back side of the assembly,a here is a little plastic cover that keeps the cams aligned. Once off, you can rotate everything to get the right numbers up. Start at the tenths and work up, rotate all the sections together as you get them aligned. The hard part you have to hold the corresponding pins on the back side as you get the digits aligned. It sounds difficult, but after yo fiddle with it for a few minutes, it becomes logical. Also, you have remember you are looking at the opposite side of those metal pins as you line everything up, this is where you are looking at when you are sitting in the drivers seat.

After some fiddling I get the right digits lined up , and get assembly back in the Speedo.

Now to put everything back together....

There's always some drama, isn't it.... Here is mine, the high beam indicator os not in the same place on the replacement speedo face
:-(

. Here is the difference in the 2 housings :

Only solution I had was to mod the blue tint shield off the donor

I'm probably only going to get 1/2 the high beam indicator light up, but at least it looks better during the day :-)

Now, back to re-installation....

The clear plastic lens wasn't so clear, so I polished it with wax - this works great for these, and you can also try it on those faded composite headlight lens too, just need to polish it good with a buffer and a drill.

Now for a little double vision. I replace the original speedo in the donor cluster, and took a pict with them both so you can see the exact ODO on both!! :-)

. Now , just before I put this all back together, I noticed this gizmo hiding back in here. Anyone know what it is?? No this isn't a trick question....I really don't know what this is, was wondering if anyone had a clue?

.....and finally, an After picture. Hope that pointer is spot on, 'cause after all the fiddling I had to do with it, it wouldn't stay on, and I had to use a drop of super glue to get it to stay on :-O

Maybe if Ron sees this and notices my bezel has seen better days. If you happen across one in a 1st gen standard Pontiac perhaps you can get one for me , not a priority, but I'd be mighty grateful if you you happen to get lucky!! :-)

. Well that's it. Now you can at least say you saw an ODO reset. Please don't EVER do this to roll back an ODO. This Is not meant to be in ANY way as directions to change an ODO other to match an existing Speedo for replacement purposes.

Re: Speedo w/tripometer
Sunday, December 25, 2011 9:02 PM
That is a pretty d!!!n good write up!And great pics of each step and explanation.As for the bezel Idk I find them here locally like umm easy.I know my local yard in town def had one or two not sure on the shape but can assess that once there.As long as the two cars with that bezel should be pretty easy to get since they don't crush every wk and cars sit a good while before going smush.As for polishing the lens I use meguairs plastic polish for something like the clear cover works wonders over the standard wax,or polishes based on my use.Still shined up nice and kudos for your efforts.

Monday, December 26, 2011 5:11 AM
Quote:

Maybe if Ron sees this and notices my bezel has seen better days. If you happen across one in a 1st gen standard Pontiac perhaps you can get one for me , not a priority, but I'd be mighty grateful if you you happen to get lucky!! :-)

Any Bezel with the same layout from a Cavalier/Sunbird/Cimaron from 1981 -1990(2nd gen Cavalier VL) should work. , My '89 Cavalier has the same gauges with the idiot lights in the same exact spot although the bezel is a goofy looking gray grid pattern on black. Too bad the gauges didn't work for ya although it might be due to not having the right wires for them since the gaugepod originally came out of a '82-84 Cavalier, the only years with the big single headlights. Thanks for the writeup

Monday, December 26, 2011 7:26 AM
Thanks! :-)
Ron, wanted to give you a hearty hats off on a couple of top tips you passed along way back on an old thread in here. I've been inside these clusters several times B4 replacing burned out bulbs, and every time I did it was a real PIA to disconnect the speedo and remove the cluster. I read where you'd recommended disconnecting the speedo cable at the trans, and lowering the column. Wow, did those 2 procedures really make a difference!! The time spent doing them made this so , so much easier :-) Thanks for your top tips along the way, Ron, when I get some spare time I like to read the old threads, always pick something useful up!! Also I ran into those affordable car covers at Autozone, remembered you recommend those, so I got a cheap one for starters for the Pontiac. LOVE IT!! :-)
You CAN teach an old dog a new trick!!
Don't fret yourself about the Benzel, just thought you'd pull one if you happen across it. Spike mentioned all of the Benzels interchange, and they sure do.....so much tho , over the years I've managed to use the ones I like...LoL. The wagon has one in it from a Cimarron. I just like the brushed look on the Pontiac.

Monday, December 26, 2011 8:00 AM
Nice write up Orlen.

Monday, December 26, 2011 9:44 PM
There is tons of info here just post back from months to years.Any time I see something new pop up I may find one of my old post help and link it or revive it so everyone will see it.I myself just got done after several hours of new rear spkr (new spkr wiring rear only) new front spkrs and head unit installed in my nephews 98 accord.He got a sony xplod head,same brand on spkrs.Alot of bologne to run wiring removing stuff,and figuring out those lame radio install kits(rrrr) it is done and now the bigger job new motor mounts and trans mount.His car shakes in drive,not in neutral and not a running issue.I have worked on this car for two yrs and pretty much replaced umm every wear out item,aside from honda doing the tb/wp and front case seals.I have to work tue and off wed,thur.My little book and only 1 cut on hand from radio install.(now that is special).The mounts prove to real fun(I think).

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:56 PM
You are a good Uncle, Ron!! You nephew is one lucky kid!! Sure hope he appreciates it!!

You sure do have a real good heart!! :-)

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:19 PM
I will write a book on what was done to this accord later BY me.I drove it today to work my 2011 civic clean and covered when rain hit so took his car(ha ha) and listened to my installed head unit and spkr upgrade.Thanking you

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:40 PM
Question about the bezel cover.My yard I frequent has a 84 cav same layout cover in a black not super shiny but semi flat,good shape,and there are also some that have that crazy design like lines or checker board real small grey colored.Do you have a preference on this,bc sunbirds like 84 are not popping up yet,but alot of 84, up to 90 same bezel just different designs and or colors.There are several choices and most I saw will work but,color,scheme flat color or little design in them are what I am seeing.The 84 was nice cav black semi flat grainy texture and uses the torx bit head screws.Just trying to keeep up with stuff people are asking for and want to get it right the first time or the right item.R

Friday, January 06, 2012 4:23 AM
Thanks for checking in with me, Ron. I've already got several spare benzles I could scrounge up at my local junkyard. I'm having a hard time finding the Pontiac specific 1st gen benzel. It kinda reminds you of a cylinder after it has been honed - a cross hatch pattern. If you luck up to run across one, just remove to 2 lower outer torx head bolts first, this is where almost all of them are cracked or broken - a common fault - and will save you the trouble of going any further. Thanks again!! Have Fun!! :-)

Sunday, January 08, 2012 5:54 PM
How did you get your cluster out? I have all 4 torex screws out but only the right side moves. Do you just pull on the left side till it pops out? And theres a silver gauge cover on eBay listed as a 82 cavalier for $15 if your still lookin for one.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 6:50 PM
I'll bet you got the speedo cable fighting you. Best solution is to get under the hood on the passenger side and disconnect the cable from the transmission, this will allow you to get the slack to pull the cluster out enough to disconnect the cable from the speedo. Good luck & thanks for the heads up on the benzel!! :-)

Sunday, January 08, 2012 8:14 PM
Your welcome and thanks for the info on removing the cluster where exactly is the cable? Dose it come out of the back of the trans or what?
Sunday, January 08, 2012 8:37 PM
It is on top of the transmission 3/8 inch thick black cable screws in and behind the shift cables going towards the firewall.Just look for the round connector with grooved lines on the side of it and it will feed thru the firewall.It unscrews and a small pair of pliers work to free it with ease.Just push the slack in towards the firewall.Easy just greasy if not clean.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:38 PM

is this the speedo cable? or just something elses entirely
Monday, January 09, 2012 4:22 AM
Yeah, Ron's talking about the speedometer cable too. Ron has a manual and I have an automatic. Don't know which one you have on yours, probably a difference in the location at transmission between the two. If you check near your power brake booster you should see the cable going into the firewall, just trace it back to the transmission location, will probably work for you. On the automatic models, if you look down with a shop light between the power steering pump and firewall, you should get a sight of it.

.This what the cable hooks to on the automatic transmission

This where the cable goes into the firewall (power brake booster removed)

Monday, January 09, 2012 5:44 AM
Thank you for the pictures they helped alot
Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:58 AM
Orlen - I have a 85 Cadillac Cimmaron ip for you fully loaded with gauges

I got the cable off by putting my thumb on the little tab above it and it popped off.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:12 PM
Just a little bump for Ron!

I may not be on here as much as I would like for the next few weeks - having a little internet troubles.....

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:23 PM
thx! Now to get that cluster I have squared.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search