1985 pontiac sunbird sedan the barn find!!!! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1985 pontiac sunbird sedan the barn find!!!!
Tuesday, December 02, 2014 6:55 AM
im new here and i wanted to share my sunbird i had just bought back in april. this car is amazing i wanna know more about these little things i have just fell in love with this car take in mind im 17 years old its my first car i payed $200 for it and drove it home.. i love it but i see now why i got the amazing deal i did 3 days after i bought it it rained and the cars floors got soaked the car was leaking and me and my father were stumped on the issue.. we finnaly figured out the leak was under the cowl were the air and heat blower motor was its was leaking around there it was crazy but it looked like the previous person used house calk and boy it messed it up but me and my dad fixed that issue together and as working on it i saw the actual potintial this car has. not rust in the floors no real major body issues other than the driver rear quarter i love this car and i wanna show it to yalll its a gem and i was wondering more about these as i say im 17 idk everything but i wana learn more

I'm new to the scene ... I'm 18 and i have a 1985 Pontiac Sunbird sedan...

Re: 1985 pontiac sunbird sedan the barn find!!!!
Tuesday, December 02, 2014 7:20 PM
Welcome to the 1st Gens Brian!

Much to learn about them - you will discover a ton in the previous posts.

Regarding your mystery leak - please check both left and right drains underneath the cowl and make sure they are clear. It is a common problem on these and some have have been known to have rusted out at the firewall because of it.

This will show the passenger side. The Divers side is very easy to see.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=19352&t=19352

Tuesday, December 02, 2014 8:36 PM
Another J saved! Now I'm not the youngest first gen member lol. I'm only 18. Sounds a lot like my deal for 200 dollars.

Tuesday, December 02, 2014 10:25 PM
Welcome to the fun.As you get oriented with the car by all means ask questions if your not sure about how to diagnose and or remove items here to prevent damage and double the work.Post a pic once you can and I use photobucket to share and or link pics myself.Pretty tired as I drive a tractor trailer and just had a 13 hr day.Ron

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 5:44 AM
thanks to you all and once i get home today i will post some pics i just havent had the chance to post them on a site but its a amazing car overall and orlen i love your bird its sweet im all about saving these and i love them my mission now is to get the first gen cavy sedan that the lady next door to me owns shes owned it since new back in 1987 i bellieve shes talked to me about it idk if she want to sell

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 6:12 PM
Welcome to the site Brian! Keep us updated with pictures of your ride.

Thursday, December 04, 2014 4:36 AM
picturesssss

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Friday, December 05, 2014 6:18 AM
hey guys sorry i been so late on the pics i just been busy with school and all but whats a good site to use to post pictures for yall to see them??

Friday, December 05, 2014 9:41 AM
I use cardomain...

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbVdv6CJcic this is my youtube link im sorry for the wait my phones broke but i have laptop now sorry for the wait

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:39 PM
Nice little walk around and description of your low cost acquisition.The one thing I noticed is your cranking to fire seems kind of slow.I would do some simple things like cleaning the ground cables,and making sure the voltage at the alternator and starter are a good 12.9 or higher.If it dips to like 12.6 on cranking verify this with a multimeter placed in sight while cranking.The reason I say 12.6 it could mean your charging system is lacking the proper cranking amps as TO me it was slow.Even though it fired up the normal GM sound way and idled up as it should the lag kind of got my attention.If you have any ?s about battery cables or checking any sensors just ask.I have owned my 85 cav for 16 years and have literally replaced every sensor on my engine aside from the tps,and iac.I back in march had to replace my fuel pump and sending unit and have a post specifically about that.Either way glad you show the enjoyment in the car as we do love our 1st gens here and not as many left even in the common junkyards today.Ok done for now just wanted point out something that to my ear that stood out when you started it.I do not know the service history on your ride but I would def replace the fuel filter.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:48 AM
thanks ron and i will im trying to learn everything i can about these cars i have a great mind on what im going to do to it i want to paint it black over silver with a red pinstripe and paint the chrome strip in the bumper trim red to accent the red pin stripe down the body line

Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:27 PM
Welcome and I like your idea for a paint job. My car is black over gray/silver? With a red pinstripe.

Friday, December 12, 2014 2:43 PM
thanks thomas and yes i have that paint idea but as were you and mine differ i wanna make the bottom of the trim on the door the silver and the rest of the car black. but i love your cavy im trying to get the lady next door to let me get her first gen cavy

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search