front struts - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
front struts
Tuesday, December 09, 2014 4:48 PM
I'm in the market for some new front struts, I've looked on rock auto to find some that are cheaper than local.

I'm wondering what struts you guys are using and having good luck with.

Re: front struts
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:55 PM
Had a set of Sears top of the line front struts and rear shocks installed about 20 years ago and they are still working great. But it is probably time to think about replacing them just because of the age.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:57 PM
I think everything nowadays comes from overseas. Go for the cheapest you can find or grab the lifetime warranty. Sometimes the lifetime warranty isn't worth much these days ,especially for the 1st Gens, due to more and more parts unavailability.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:01 PM
Local Napa has them for $170 and rock auto has them in a cheap line for $89. These are the whole strut with springs and mounts. I'm just alittle worried about how cheap the rock auto struts are, I don't want to replace them every year.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:20 PM
I am planning on buying my struts from advance auto.I am going with the Monroe quickstrut as this is the whole assembly and have had good success with the Monroe struts on other rides so far.I think the price for my cars application is like 150.00 last check.I do run the Monroe shocks in the rear and are the sensa track as I like the ride and the quick strut comes as the sensa track as well.Sometimes the brand is more important or not just depends on what you have had good wear on other rides and how it performs.I do like Monroe and always have used there brand for about 25 yrs.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:20 AM
Quick question Ron... are the Monroe Quickstruts suitable for the Z24's that had the F-41 suspension? Any idea if these would represent a different ride result (less performance oriented)?

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:14 PM
I did a quick search on advance auto's site.I could not find a listing for the quick strut as a package deal?(umm).Even if you had to buy say each component like the mounts,springs and just the strut (sensa track) you could go that route.Just the strut (sensa track) was 64.00 I did not check the spring cost but the mounts were under 20.00 for the monroes.I will say the quick strut imo would be fine as they would be packaged for each cars specs.I guess it is your call on choice.As I said if you buy each component separate strut,mount,and spring those would be more than suitable.Let me dig some more to see if anyone list this quick strut for your application.I am guessing the springs might be heavier in design but I know when I did a full rear end resto on mine I went with twr springs and my gah the difference was NIGHT to DAY in the ride.Springs do get weak and just doing the shocks and mounts won't do justice to just a new shock with a 25 year old car or more.I will do my homework to see what I find.It could be to that maybe advance just does not sell the quick strut for you year and or mine as I need to recheck that myself.Worst case I would just buy each item and it will cost the price of the quick strut once I get them ordered all together.Hope this gives some mild insight on the idea.I will say the sensa track rides really smooth in my 87 mazda and did the same brand on my nephews 98 accord just the strut no new springs and ride was very solid.

Friday, December 12, 2014 4:50 AM
my wifes 86 rs conv. was optioned with the f-41 suspension. i replaced the struts and shocks back in 2013 with monroe sensa-tracs. the ride is beautiful, not to stiff not to soft. i used the quick strut. i bought them at advance. the part no. are 15930030 and 15930031 for the struts and 19710441 for the shocks. the total was 384.00 but they had a 100 dollar rebate at the time. i would definetly wait for them to go on sale. i would also recomend if you replace any steering components like tie rod ends or ball joints to use moog parts. they are more costly but they are much better quality. compare them side by side and you will see, some of the cheaper brands are sealed and do not have grease fittings. stay away from those. i install bearings, seals and similar parts on my job and can tell you routinely greasing up your front end parts with a quaility grease is a must. buy yourself a grease gun with a flexible hose and grease up the car twice a year. mobile synthetic or valvoline (both red in color) are good choices
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search